Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hypoglycemia and brain death
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 31, 2022 10:10PM

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Hypoglycemia causes brain fuel deprivation and, as a result, functional brain failure.

Because the brain cannot synthesize glucose or store substantial amounts as glycogen in astrocytes, the brain requires a virtually continuous supply of glucose from the circulation. Facilitated diffusion of glucose from the blood into the brain is a direct function of the arterial plasma glucose concentration.

Initially, declining plasma glucose levels activate defenses against hypoglycemia. Physiological defenses normally include decrements in pancreatic B cell insulin secretion

If these defenses fail to abort the hypoglycemic episode, lower glucose levels trigger a more intense sympathoadrenal response that causes neurogenic (or autonomic) symptoms;

The perception of symptoms, particularly neurogenic symptoms, prompts the behavioral defense, the ingestion of food. If all of these defenses fail, lower glucose levels cause overt functional brain failure that can progress from measurable cognitive impairments to aberrant behaviors, seizure, and coma.

Profound, prolonged hypoglycemia can cause brain death. In studies of insulin-induced hypoglycemia in monkeys, 5–6 hours of blood glucose concentrations of less than 1.1 mmol/l (20 mg/dl) were required for the regular production of neurological damage (12); the average blood glucose level was 0.7 mmol/l (13 mg/dl).

In the rare clinical setting of profound, prolonged hypoglycemia, where the risk of neuronal death is higher, the data suggest that plasma glucose levels should be raised cautiously with avoidance of hyperglycemia (13–15).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hypoglycemia and brain death
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: February 02, 2022 05:15AM

Many years ago, a health magazine had a long article on High Blood Sugar and Low Blood Sugar. The author stated that high blood sugar (diabetes and prediabetes) gets all the attention, but that countless persons have one kind of hypoglycemia or another - and it is a far worse condition. FWIW. Next month there were enraged letters to the editor claiming that diabetes (type 2) is worse. Can you imagine - arguing over whose pathology deserves more attention. Nuts.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 05, 2022 08:23PM

I definitely suffer from hypoglycemia and over the years with being off and on high raw I recognize it now. Before I would get almost paralyzed and had to find something to lay down on before I just froze and fell down. I also learned to not let myself go too long without food (even though I was overweight) that I'd get hypoglycemic. I'm back to starting over to a high raw diet, and have weight to lose and now I'm a senior. Not easy to get started but I'm going to set Feb March April May as the goal months for the start.

Date: February 05, 2022 10:35PM

I hope that all raw will do it for you, but if not, maybe you will need supplements and medical advice. Best of luck. It is not easy getting healthy, is it. "It's Always Something." is the expression.

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: February 06, 2022 10:35PM

Hi Prism, I hope you're successful with the high raw diet. thumbs down

Panchito, it was a little depressing for me when you first posted about brain cell death from hypoglycemia because it may have happened to me. That would explain a lot - haha. Add that one to how I've screwed myself up when I was younger by doing stupid things.

My hypoglycemia story:

When I was young, for years I kind of had to eat soon after getting up in the morning, like within an hour or so, or I'd start feeling weak, shaky, my heart would be pounding, and I felt like anxious or something. If I had blood taken out, I'd almost faint. I figured out I had hypoglycemia.

So then in my thirties I started experimenting with various diets. Of course, the most profound changes came with going dairy-free and then gluten-free. Then after a few years, I was 'led to' The Vegan Raw Food Diet. I went 100% Raw overnight. Started feeling fantastic immediately. Started eating raw fruit in the morning. Felt great. Then over many years, I would delay starting to eat in the morning longer and longer. It probably took like 5 years and I was waiting till like 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon to eat. Never felt better. I did dial that back gradually to now that I dry fast until noon, then my water over a couple hours, then start my fruit, etc.

Anyway, the point is - I believe I definitely healed 'my hypoglycemia' with the wonderful 100% Raw Food Diet! I love it!

Date: February 08, 2022 02:41AM

@Prism.

I found these 2 things in my library of health books (a not inconsiderable collection):

1. from Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible: "Hypoglycemics could use more calcium." I have never seen this advice elsewhere, but he is correct. Works for me when I feel low blood sugary (usually induced by poor diet choices). I advise adding both Vitamin D and Vitamin K (the MK7 version). Otherwise, or so we are told, the calcium will go to those places in your body where it is not wanted.

2. from a herbal book by Dr of Chinese Medicine Michael Tierra: Chinese herb He shou wu (also known by marketing name "fo ti"winking smiley is "excellent" (his words) for both diabetes and hypoglycemia.

I experienced a sudden, acute, irremediable case of hypo when I began the whole menopause business. Indeed, that is how I knew that "it" had started. Drinking orange juice, taking sweets, etc. did not work. The symptoms continued for a couple of days, then just stopped. Boy, was I terrified, though.

I seem unable to follow 100% raw so maybe that is my problem. There are 3 persons in my household and so I go along with them, dietarily, at times. What to do, what to do...

@Jennifer. Wonderful story of your self healing. An all-cooked, vegan, macrobiotic type diet worked for me some years ago, before menopause. I was truly cured of hypo after a couple of years following that regimen - I could eat very, very little and still feel good and energetic. Meh. This all changed when I got pregnant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2022 02:44AM by Horsea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables