Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question about heating foods...
Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: January 19, 2007 02:23PM

Okay, I'm very new at this. As in I will actually be starting this lifestyle slowly starting over the weekend once I can get to the store, I don't own a car and it's hard to take my son on the bus so I usually just wait until a friend is going and tag along.

Anyhow, I've been discussing this lifestyle with my friend Kim and she asked a question and since I don't know the answer I thought I would ask you all who are more experienced! smiling smiley

Many of the recipes on this site speak of using a dehydrator. My friend asked if that would be considered 'cooking' since it does use heat. I told her that I think it isn't counted because it's not really cooking, it's just taking the moisture out of the item...

...is that the right answer? I haven't used a dehydrator before so I'm unsure.
Thanks in advance smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about heating foods...
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 19, 2007 04:06PM

When you use a dehydrator at a low temperature (some are to high) it does not kill the enzymes. Some people consider dehydrated food raw "junk food". If you buy one make sure it has a temperature control. I don't set mine higher than 105 degrees. I am using mine less and less.

Date: January 19, 2007 04:14PM

Thanks for the information! I probably won't use one at all because I'd hate to buy it and then end up phasing it out which I would probably end up doing. I guess I'll see if I have a friend locally who has one I can borrow instead to use from time to time.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 19, 2007 06:38PM

Here's another tip if you want to heat up your foods without cooking them. If you have a raw soup that you would like to warm up, use your fingers (or you hand) in the pot to stir the soup. As long as your fingers are not burning, neither is the soup. As soon as the soup is getting uncomfortable for your fingers, your food is starting to cook.

Date: January 19, 2007 07:36PM

I have one more question, on another forum I'm on someone mentioned that they don't have a dehydrator so they put it in the stove on the lowest setting...would that work is that too close to cooking? I'd rather not use the stove, but since someone suggested it I was curious about if it would work.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables