Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is There Such a Thing as “Anti-Nutrients”?
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: April 25, 2022 06:01AM

Article at National Library of Medicine.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Excerpt:

Plant-based diets are associated with reduced risk of lifestyle-induced chronic diseases. The thousands of phytochemicals they contain are implicated in cellular-based mechanisms to promote antioxidant defense and reduce inflammation. While recommendations encourage the intake of fruits and vegetables, most people fall short of their target daily intake. Despite the need to increase plant-food consumption, there have been some concerns raised about whether they are beneficial because of the various ‘anti-nutrient’ compounds they contain. Some of these anti-nutrients that have been called into question included lectins, oxalates, goitrogens, phytoestrogens, phytates, and tannins. As a result, there may be select individuals with specific health conditions who elect to decrease their plant food intake despite potential benefits. The purpose of this narrative review is to examine the science of these ‘anti-nutrients’ and weigh the evidence of whether these compounds pose an actual health threat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is There Such a Thing as “Anti-Nutrients”?
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: April 25, 2022 04:09PM

IDK. But I checked it out a few years ago because when I ate quinoa I got pain in my stomach and found out it was probably the 'anti-nutrients.' I forget what I read about 'the science,' if the anti-nutrients are to protect the plants from those who would eat them or what. The paleo/keto or carnivore people or whoever it is says that means we're not supposed to eat them, that plants don't want us to eat them. Again with the hypocrisy.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: April 25, 2022 08:06PM

that plants don't want us to eat them

This isn't "hypocrisy"; it is double-barreled stupidity and blindness. I guess those animals making a racket as they approach the killing floor are just demonstrating their happiness.

There is something to the fact that traditional peoples prepared their plant foods in sometimes time-consuming, elaborate ways before they would eat them. Millet, especially, it seems.

I save brown rice soaking water in the refrig. Every time you use it, it will contain more enzymes for breaking down the antinutrients in the outer layer.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 25, 2022 10:42PM

that plants don't want us to eat them

Plants don't have a brain. I guess that the argument assumes that plants are capable of wanting and then capable of creating a plan (make a substance that becomes an anti nutrient). What if you use a plant for other purpose, would the plant create another substance?

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: April 26, 2022 03:15AM

Yeah, it's funny when you put it that way. Although in reality, plants may not 'have a brain,' but they're much 'smarter' than we are because they're Nature.

Posted by: ReubenT ()
Date: May 30, 2022 01:11AM

I think since humans and plants have a symbiotic relationship from as far back as one wants to go in known history, we were made for each other. Therefore whatever anti-nutrients might be in one food plant would likely be overruled by another. It's best to not have a mono diet of one item anyway.

But the worst anti-nutrient substance is not in plants, but it's in chemicals, specifically glyphosate. It blocks nutrient uptake by plants, that's how it kills plants. But in lower than kill concentration it limits the quality of the plant health. I won't let that stuff get anywhere near my food growing operation.

Date: May 30, 2022 12:05PM

"Anti-nutritional" factors such as phytic acid, tannins etc are blown completely out of proportion, usually by individuals like the carnivore community who don't understand the science behind these nutritional compounds.

Phytic acid in particular is hugely villainized, yet actually has numerous benefits.

"The published peer reviewed literatures searched showed that phytic acid, though an anti-nutrient, plays an indispensable role directly or indirectly in several disease conditions.

It exhibits antioxidant function, a property that qualifies it to possess multiple medicinal values like: anti-diabetic, anticancer, anti-inflammatory properties to mention a few.

Its chelating property affects the absorption and toxicities associated with essential and nonessential heavy metals, a scenario that could prevent neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson diseases and other related diseases."

[www.sciencedirect.com]

To the likes of the carnivores who try to militantly avoid all healthy plant-foods due to irrational fear of these compounds like phytic acid makes no sense either...

"Even if one consumes food devoid of PA for the fear of mineral deficiency, it endogenous synthesis (to a lesser extent) cannot be evaded, as almost all cells contain PA, where it performs cellular function such as regulation of cell function, cell growth and differentiation.

Interestingly, the anti-nutritional role of PA is also responsible for some health benefits. So the fear of consuming PA may provoke health integrity, and may also impair cellular function."

Overall if your diet is nutritionally sufficient, anti-nutrients pose little to no concern for their anti-nutritional factors.

[www.evidencebasedhealth.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2022 12:06PM by evidencebasedhealth.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: May 31, 2022 12:21AM

Jennifer
Yeah, it's funny when you put it that way. Although in reality, plants may not 'have a brain,' but they're much 'smarter' than we are because they're Nature.

Sooooo, you're saying WE're NOT Nature?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables