Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A Complete Guide to Soaking Nuts and Seeds
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: April 13, 2023 02:00PM

[www.radiantlifecatalog.com]

Excerpt:

How do I soak raw nuts and seeds?
As strange as it initially sounds, soaking nuts and seeds is not difficult. Luckily the process of soaking is essentially the same for whatever type of nut or seed you chose to prepare, although the timing varies slightly to accommodate for differences in fat composition, size, texture, etc. Traditional soaked nuts and seeds, are made by following these basic steps:

1. Measure out 4 cups of raw, unsalted, organic nuts/seeds into a medium sized bowl

2. Cover with filtered water so that nuts are submerged

3. Add 1-2 tablespoons unrefined salt

4. Allow to stand covered on the counter for about 7 hours, or overnight

5. Rinse nuts to remove salt residue and spread out in single layer on a rack to dehydrate. [I've seen advice to not rinse the soaked seeds. So decide for yourself.]

6. Dry at a low temperature (generally no higher than 150°F, although there are exceptions) in dehydrator or oven for 12-24 hours or until nuts are slightly crispy.
---------------
Don't scroll down too far or you'll find a photo of Pork Tenderloin. The whole business of soaking nuts and seeds comes with a sting in the tail, namely, pushing high density animal products. All compliments of the Weston Price people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Complete Guide to Soaking Nuts and Seeds
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: April 23, 2023 08:51PM

That's good information.

This for me is the main point if I was soaking and sprouting nuts and seeds -

"It is important to dry out nuts and seeds at a low temperature in order to preserve the greatest amount of natural enzymes and fragile unsaturated fatty acids possible. 150° F is the maximum heat you would want to apply, although temperatures around 110° F are truly best."

I wouldn't want to go above 110 because then I feel like they're not raw anymore so don't have the enzymes and life force. I've only soaked raw cashews to use in making cashew pudding. I don't buy any kind of sprouted nuts and seeds or sprouted nut butters because I feel like they're dead food from being dried and probably at temperatures exceeding 110 or 115. I wonder how the taste of the sprouted butters compares to the raw butters.

BTW, here's a yummy recipe that I discovered and I've made once so far -

Date Caramel. I use coconut milk.

[avirtualvegan.com]

Re: A Complete Guide to Soaking Nuts and Seeds
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: April 25, 2023 11:50PM

Thanks for the date caramel recipe. Mighty rich!

I, too, wonder about buying dried sprouted seeds & nuts, etc. For people who eat cooked food (including grains & beans) they would definitely be more digestible, though.

I soak almonds for a good long time, then slip the skins off. I don't think we were meant to eat the skins but that is just my opinion. Goodness me, but home-soaked & skinned almonds are wonderful. I do not use salt even tho that is recommended in the above article. Perhaps all that salt kills the life in the nuts & seeds.

Nothing finer than sprouted lentils, too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2023 11:51PM by Horsea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables