Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Improving iron status through diet.
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 20, 2007 08:12PM

[www.mostproject.org].

I learned so much and am wondering if anyone here agrees with or disagrees with their studies.

I'm sure this will not be an intresting topic for many people on the forum here. It's a long article. I'm providing it for the few that may be intrested.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Improving iron status through diet.
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 20, 2007 10:48PM

It's a good paper, very through. But Lindsay Allen herself is a contoversial figure in the vegan community.

She has performed a number of studies showing improvements in health when modest quantities of animal foods are added to the diets of the underprivileged, mostly third worlders. These are people who subsist on almost entirely on grains with sparing amounts of legumes and hardly ever a vegetable. Her funding source is a meat-based one: the American Cattlemen's Association.

She was quoted as saying that vegan diets are unethical for children and could harm their development.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

This ticked off a lot of people!

When later pressed, she relented slightly, acknowledging that vegan diets could be adequate if approriately planned.

Here is the counterpoint from vegsource, with interesting commment from Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis.

[www.vegsource.com]

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 20, 2007 11:37PM

Arugula, you rock!

Thank you for this info.

I looked to see who funded it, but was unable to find it. I think it's an in depth study, and has many true findings. I figured it was funded by the meat industry, tho.

She did admit over and over again, that orange juice and ascorbic acid was paramount in iron absorption, and it could be possible to absorb iron in a vegan diet, significantly more, with orange juice or any high vitamin C foods, like tomatoes, papaya, bell peppers, ect. So, I give her that much credit.

And although the meat part may be true, I kinda figured the meat industry had funded this study, and uses it a "keep them in line and under our control" tactic

Vegans and Veggies, IF you need more iron, eat or drink high vitamin C foods with your meals. Like we don't already! But some people here may not know this.

I will clarify again, IF you need more iron. Some may not. B12 and folate (folic acid) anemia is a another ailment, and this may not apply.

Grapes and raisins some of the worst iron inhibitors. So is spinach, grains, nuts, beans and lentils. So if you are low in iron, limit these foods and or eat/drink high vit. C foods with it. The iron in greens, lentils, nuts and seeds, (even soaked & sprouted) is hard to absorb, unless you eat high vitamin C foods along with it. Atleast this is what this article and many others I have read, indicate.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 21, 2007 02:11AM

I watch my iron, some days I get more than 30 mg in a day from food (I eat a lot of greens). I also have a very high vitamin C intake 600-1000 mg/day as greens are much higher in C than most fruits.

My serum ferritin is in the normal range, but at the low end. Still, after all that iron intake.

Another thing mentioned in her paper was that some beverages can interfere with uptake, coffee and tea most typically, and some health food fanatics are drinking green and white teas copiously.

People who take antioxidant supplements aside from C or E can also have too much chelation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables