Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rancid seeds and favorite inexpensive markets in L.A.?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 21, 2007 06:11AM

Hello, hope everyone is doing okay. I'm fairly new to posting but have been reading for awhile now. I was wondering, how you can tell when seeds are rancid..other then the smell when they're really gone, I've read that while soaking if some seeds float to the top while soaking they're rancid. Is this for real? and what are other signs.

Has anyone used the foodsaver for storing seeds which is better in the fridge/cupboard?

My other question are for southern Californians especially near Los angeles/manhattan beach. I'm trying to find other places other then Whole foods that has a good selection but leaves me poor and traders joes(thank god for them). What are your favorite markets for seeds and other organic produce? thanks much to all who reply in advance smiling smiley .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2007 06:14AM by petty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rancid seeds and favorite inexpensive markets in L.A.?
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 21, 2007 07:08AM

they do not taste good..its like fresh stuff to stale stuff..it takes your own taste..hey if somethng is rancid and you can't tell, them maybe see how you feel after its been digested..

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 21, 2007 07:35AM

I just read in Doug Graham's book that flax seeds go rancid really fast, even if you dehydrate some crackers and don't keep them in the fridge but at room T. I am interested in this too because when I eat the crackers they don't taste rancid to me, but maybe the taste is covered by other ingredients. Now I keep my crackers in teh friggy!

I do keep all my seeds in the fridge. Some people I know keep them in the freezer.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 21, 2007 06:04PM

good idea, i don't eat seeds but my pet rats love the flax crackers i make themm

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 21, 2007 07:56PM

Seeds that are rancid leave a burning sensation in your mouth. Seeds that are stale will have lost their crunch.

I put all my seeds and nuts in the refrigerator. I'm not sure about putting them in the freezer though. Has anyone experimented to see whether seeds that have been frozen will still sprout? If not, freezing them probably killed them.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: January 22, 2007 01:58AM

there is a farmers market at venice beach every friday morning.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2007 02:34AM

Thanks everyone for you help smiling smiley

Posted by: red_willow ()
Date: January 26, 2007 02:53AM

New Life on Main st. in Venice/Santa Monica is pretty good. At least that's where I would shop when I lived down there. Now that I live on the eastside I shop at Whole Foods or the Nature Mart in Los Feliz.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables