Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Elevated triglyceride
Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: January 22, 2007 12:06AM

So I have been a veg*n for a couple of years and high / 100% raw a month and a half. I had a blood test over a year ago, which came back perfect. Had a blood test now, and there might be a potential problem with triglyceride and cholesterol.

- Triglyceride: 159 mg / dl; normal is less than 150; last year was 71!!
- Cholesterol: 153 mg / dl; normal is less than 200, but less than 150 is better; last year was 131.

I've read that high triglyceride could be caused too much fruit. I have been mostly eating fruit. Even then, I have a hard time getting enough calories, so I'm not sure how I would lower the amount of fruit.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Elevated triglyceride
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 22, 2007 12:16AM

You seem to assume that 71 would be better than 159 for Triglyceride. I don't know much about it but from Wikipedia:

Triglycerides, as major components of very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) and chylomicrons, play an important role in metabolism as energy sources and transporters of dietary fat.

also (refering to 'normal' values of Triglyceride):

Please note that this information is relevant to triglyceride levels as tested after fasting. Triglyceride levels remain temporarily higher for a period of time after eating.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: January 22, 2007 12:56AM

Are you losing weight at the moment?

Date: January 22, 2007 03:09AM

Rob,

Yes, I fasted before the test.

One explanation that I have thought of is this. I have been water fasting one day every week for the past few months. By now, it is so easy that I don't even notice it. Fasting before the blood test is supposed to bring the levels of all the blood chemicals to a baseline level. However, because I am used to fasting now, maybe it takes longer for them to get back to baseline. I do not know enough to know whether this explanation is even possible or not. But it could be.

Jose,

No, I am not losing weight. I am pretty slim. Why do you ask?

Thanks all. smiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 22, 2007 04:25AM

James, from the Framingham studies, there is essentially zero risk for CVD when total cholesterol is less than 150 mg/dl and 153 mg/dl would be an infinitesimally small increased risk. I don't think that your triglyceride level is alarming. But if you have concerns you might consider increasing dietary fiber and decreasing fruit. More greens, basically, along with other vegetables. Less juicing or blending. This could get very expensive without cooked foods!

If you have 40 g of fiber per day, try 80 g for about 2 weeks, that should make a big difference.

Date: January 22, 2007 04:44AM

arugula,

Thanks. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables