Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can you personally live without grains?
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 22, 2007 12:09AM

When is the last time you had grain? I'm just curious. Is this a struggle for you and do you feel better when you eat it or not eat it? I'm intrested in your experience, preferably going long term without any of the mentioned, and how it's going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2007 12:12AM by Rawrrr!.

Options: ReplyQuote
Check out Doug Grhamas 8/1/1/ program.
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: January 22, 2007 12:16AM

He posits that the desire for grain reveals that you're not getting enough fruit during the day. I used to think he was extreme and goofy. But I tried it - not as much as he eats - and it works. I find if I eat enough fruit in a day, it kills the craving for most other things.

Good luck!

Re: Can you personally live without grains?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 22, 2007 01:01AM

I eat a little raw wheat germ and/or sprouted wheat once or twice a week. It's delicious with salad. I find it helps me stay satisfied on raw.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 22, 2007 01:22AM

never have grains, I mean ever, even when I was raw foodist, now I am fruitarian..

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 22, 2007 02:16AM

I ate manna bread (not really raw) when I was transitioning from SAD to a high fat raw diet. The last time I ate grain that I know about was over 5 years ago. I go to potlucks every so often, and I could have eaten grains by accident.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 22, 2007 04:07AM

I had a few sprouted grains...and sprouted grain breads I made myself while transitioning. I could never get them to be very appealing.....so I just avoided them after that. About 5 years ago.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 22, 2007 04:57AM

I had a burrito in a flour tortilla last night. It also had cooked beans and lots of raw lettuce, cilantro, and tomato. I was hungry and it was free.

If I don't plan ahead and bring fruits and a nutcracker, sometimes I buckle.

Date: January 22, 2007 05:25AM

hehe.. that sounds yummy, Arugula.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 22, 2007 05:53AM

it's hard to carry around everything you need eh? i hated getting stuck in the corner store, starving, with nothing much to choose from but an old banana and a mealy looking red delicious apple, non-organic and $3 each. so sad.
when i was 100% raw i didn't eat any grains at all but i did eat a lot of avos, olives and sprouts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2007 05:54AM by coco.

Posted by: MissEleanor ()
Date: January 22, 2007 12:57PM

I was a grain freak back in the SAD days. I used to live on cereal, and even when I went gluten free for awhile, went even crazier on other grains. So when I went raw, I thought oatmeal, bread, and cereals would be the hardest thing to live without. I made a ton of sprouted grain dehydrated breads like banana and cinnamon apple. GAG-nasty, I just threw them all away. I'm doing just fine without grains. Surprisingly craving free.

Eleanor

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: January 22, 2007 07:06PM

grains are probably the last demon for me to vanquish on my journey to awesomeness in my diet!

Date: January 24, 2007 01:12AM

What are thoughts on things like quinoa or buckwheat, which are seeds and not really grains? I have read recent studies that these two are loaded with phytonutrients and antioxidants, but they are 99% composed of slower-releasing kinds and hence have not been detected until recently.

Date: January 24, 2007 01:20AM

Their nutrient profiles are very grain-like and they contain antinutrients that bind up minerals as well. You can sprout them, and they sprout easily, which is a big plus, but they might not taste so good as raw sprouts compared to cooked unsprouted.

Date: January 24, 2007 02:15AM

oh my! One time I bought raw sprouted buckwheat cereal, soaked it in nut milk and chewed it well, and it still felt like gravel going through me when it came out.. I couldn't have possibly gotten any nutrients out of them. Never again!

Quinoa get moldly easily when sprouted, just keep an eye on it. Plus, as Arugula said, it has phytates and oxalates that inhibit mineral absorbtion.

Personally, If you must have grains, and aren't %100 raw, grains are best, sprouted then baked on low heat, such as essene bread. It's not raw, but easier to digest, has bioavailable nutrients, and the sprouting and low heat baking gets rid of most of the anti-nutrients.

Date: January 24, 2007 02:38AM

I get cravings for crispy things. Raw crackers from ground flax mixed with vegetable pulp from the juicer would satisfy but I am usually too lazy to do it.

Posted by: greenman ()
Date: January 24, 2007 03:17AM

Those who live without grains, do you also exclude flax seeds?

Date: January 24, 2007 03:56AM

The last time I had grains was during a Papa John's binge two or three years ago.

greenman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those who live without grains, do you also exclude
> flax seeds?

Nope. Flax seeds aren't a grain and are in fact, quite healthy. smiling smiley

Date: January 24, 2007 04:02AM

Flax is a cousin of rhubarb and buckwheat, but these are all very distant from cereal grains. They are more closely related to legumes, most of the pitted fruits (peaches, etc.) and grapes.

I had once made a taxonomy chart of food families. This would be helpful for those who wish to incorporate more diversity in their diets (as I do).
[members.atlantic.net]

But the phylogeny keeps changing based on advances in DNA sequencing, so it might not be up to date and completely "accurate."

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: January 24, 2007 03:43PM

Awesome!

I've been cutting down on the grains I eat substantially, now only eat cooked brown rice and quinoa on a weekly basis. Am aiming to eventually cut these out too.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 24, 2007 05:08PM

It's funny really... my wife loves this buckwheat cereal that she makes. I don't really care for it all that much. As a matter of fact I always crash after I eat it. It's soaked, sprouted and dehydrated at really low heat. she uses a kind of sweet nutmilk she makes on it too. It tastes yummy but isn't really my thing.

Sometimes I think grains and everything are just personal choice and what works best for the person.

Posted by: bodybyblis ()
Date: January 25, 2007 04:15PM

Let's see?

I would say I have grains maybe once a month or so. Really have no desire, urge, craving, anything for them anymore.

BUT I DO CRAVE MY VITAMIX GREEN DRINK DAILY, ALL DAY. & I drink it up eating less than ever, having more energy than ever, feeling more DIVINE than ever.

"Divine Green"

Lots of sprouts - all kinds, but particularly sunflower, buckwheat, pea-shoot & broc
Lots of leafy greens, the greener or thicker the grean leaf the better
Lots of cabbage, green or purple
Some carrots, some apples
LOTS OF SPIRULENA AND SUN CHORELLA.

Amazing! Yum, yum, yum!

Blissed be, Annie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables