Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

80/10/10?
Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: January 22, 2007 01:13PM

{Sorry if you're getting sick of my posts lol smiling smiley}

I have seen the term 80/10/10 around the forum a lot and I can't seem to figure out what it means - anyone want to fill me in??

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80/10/10?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 22, 2007 01:18PM

80% carb, 10% fat and 10% protein. Took me awhile too! =)

Date: January 22, 2007 01:25PM

Thanks! grinning smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 22, 2007 01:40PM

Bryan's the main guy promoting this book and this diet. There are some determined detractors and some suporters. Search this term or go back a couple of pages to find a long and somewhat turbulent thread. I myself am very interesed in this, diet in large part because of a couple of things that Bryan said in that thread, and probably in other threads too.

I like the picture you sent with you making a funny face into the camera. And your name, care to tell us more? Anything to do with fire, or heat, or ...?

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: January 22, 2007 01:45PM

Aw thanks about the picture and the information on the past thread.
The name is actually the name I use for DJing. My boyfriend and I both spin drum and bass and I am currently working on learning to use a program to produce some tracks myself. It originally came about by me being a lighting technician for my friend's band, and being quite obsessed with pirates (have been since about age 5 - I even have a jolly roger tattoo). So originally my username on things was "PirateTech", but when I got into DJing it just didn't fit in with all the other names I saw DJs have, it seemed almost little-kiddish. So it transformed into Pyratekk and it's been that for a while now. I like it a lot because it's original, if you google "Pyratekk" all of the things that pop up are either me or about me, same with google image search, all the results are me or graphics I've made smiling smiley.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: na(raw)dia ()
Date: January 23, 2007 12:54AM

Can anyone post a daily food intake? Also how do you make sure you get exactly 80% 10% and 10%?

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 23, 2007 02:28AM

I don't get the 80/10/10 thing either. Is it supposed to be a fruitarian diet? I was messing around with the ratios on fitday.com and basically to get the calories you need to eat mostly fruit and then some of the 10% fat comes from fruit.

I could eat about 2tbsp of pumpkin seeds a day..which seems too little.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 23, 2007 02:31AM

narawdia,

I posted some sample daily menus of mine. It is 10% max protein, and 10% max fat. The protein and fat can be less if you want. The basic secret is to eat a lot of fruits and greens, and keep the overt fats to a minimum. Greens comprise 3% to 5% of the caloric intake, and the rest can be fruits, including non-sweet fruits like cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc. An ocassional nuts and seeds and avos.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 23, 2007 04:10AM

Hey Pyratekk,

You spin drum & bass? I was a raver in the mid to late '90s and I spun mostly drum & bass (esp. tech step) and psytrance! smiling smiley

Anyway, you asked about 80-10-10. The guy who wrote that book (the 80/10/10 diet) is Doug Graham. He and his wife is Rozalind have the most ADORABLE baby girl Faychesca and they are both very inspiring about raw as well as parenting. His website is foodnsport.com and his board is vegsource.com/talk/raw/index.html

Love,
Uma

Date: January 23, 2007 06:07AM

Thanks Bryan!

I have a few questions if you don't mind...How long have you been eating 80/10/10? Do you get bored of the same food? Do you watch your calorie intake? What is you body fat level? Do you see yourelf eating that way for a long period of time? Do you get hungry often or at all, etc...Sorry so many questions!

(I'm wondering, because during the summer my food intake was very similar, all though I can't say that it was EXACTLY that percentage range. I felt great and had gotten to a really low body fat level, which is what I'm trying to get to again. I ended up getting into the raw gourmet food and eating way too many nuts and don't feel good and had put on a little bit of weight. I'm struggling to get back to really low fat/protein intake like 80/10/10 diet.)

Date: January 23, 2007 07:07AM

na(raw)dia,

I've been eating this way (80/10/10) for about 4.5 years. I don't get bored with the food for the most part. It becomes a little difficult at the end of winter and spring when I am eating a lot of bananas because there isn't that much local fresh fruit around. But last year at this time I ate a lot of mangos, and that was fun. I don't watch my calorie intake, although now I can do all the fitday stuff in my head. I don't have a lot of bodyfat, though there is some. I don't go to the gym at all, I do hatha yoga for my exercise. As for hunger, this is the most satisfying food I have ever eaten. My food intake is changing though. It used to be I could eat a lot more fruits and salads, but over time, my food intake is declining. While I've been eating this way for 4 and a half years, I've been doing 100% raw for over five years, and started my transition about a half year before I went all raw.

Robert, a person who used to post here, told me that at his 5 year mark he noticed that he needed much less food. I am finding that to be the case for me also. I used to eat over 2000 calories a day when I first started on 80/10/10. It seems nowadays I am at most 1500 calories, often less (I'm 5'10", 140#). Even on a day where I am doing physical labor, like digging ditches or chopping wood, my food intake doesn't go up that much.

I had the experience of eating a lot of fat when I transitioned, and after I went 100% raw my fat intake increased. During that time I was on this board, and no one was talking about eating low fat in those days. I remember the old timers would talk about eating simpler, without the combo-a-bombo meals, but no one talked about 10% fat or less. When I first heard Doug talking about fat, it was a big shocker to me. And then I used fitday for the first time, and I was so surprise at how much fat I was eating.

Getting my fat down to 10% was a bit of a process. At first I strictly controlled it, and it worked for a while, but I decided it didn't feel to good to control it so much. So I let it go, and my fat levels went up to 20%. 10% during summer was easy, but during the winter it was harder for me. It took a few years, but at some point I could go through the winter with overt fats only every other day. This winter, I only eat overt fats once a week or less.

What is true for me is the more I mono eat, the less I eat. When I make a smoothie, I can eat so much more bananas than if I just eat them whole or with lettuce.

Date: January 23, 2007 12:30PM

uma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Pyratekk,
>
> You spin drum & bass? I was a raver in the mid to
> late '90s and I spun mostly drum & bass (esp. tech
> step) and psytrance! smiling smiley
>
> Anyway, you asked about 80-10-10. The guy who
> wrote that book (the 80/10/10 diet) is Doug
> Graham. He and his wife is Rozalind have the most
> ADORABLE baby girl Faychesca and they are both
> very inspiring about raw as well as parenting. His
> website is foodnsport.com and his board is
> vegsource.com/talk/raw/index.html
>
> Love,
> Uma

Thanks for the links Uma!
As for DnB, techstep is probably one of my favorites. It seems like everyone here in NC except for a few of our friends are starting to spin more liquid-funk type tracks which I'm definitely not in love with. I'm more into dark stuff - amens and whatnot smiling smiley. I'm also starting to really dig Neurofunk after hearing a few of our friends spin it, I just haven't heard enough tracks to get a real feel for it smiling smiley.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 23, 2007 01:31PM

Bryan, one of my favorite things that you've mentioned with respect to 80/10/10 is letting go. I think you haven't said specifically letting go of what. But it's not hard to think of many things to let go of. Food, eating, and other things in life. That's good spiritual practice. It's just good practical living. Call it spiritual practice or don't, it's just good to let go.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: January 23, 2007 06:21PM

Bryan,

thanks again for all the answers! Do you watch your daily intake or do you go by a weekly basis? The way I was eating, I would have no fat (just some fats in fruit and lettuce) throughout the week and then have some overt fats on one day of the week, like and avocado or less.

You're saying you're eating overt fats once a week during the winter or less. How is that working for you? What about cutting out overt fats completely?

I should get the book, is it only possible to order online?

Date: January 23, 2007 06:23PM

Ah one more question, does the book talk about fasting? One more question Bryan...sorry!

How often do you fast on average and I'm assuming it's water fasts? How do you feel when fasting etc...?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 23, 2007 06:33PM

Bryan Wrote:
> It seems
> nowadays I am at most 1500 calories, often less
> (I'm 5'10", 140#). Even on a day where I am doing
> physical labor, like digging ditches or chopping
> wood, my food intake doesn't go up that much.
>

That's really amazing. I am 5'4", 103-110 and take
in 1500-1700 kcals or more some days and I am really
bony. Maybe my diet has a lot more fiber, though, or I
get a lot more exercise. Those two can make a 20%
difference or more.

>no one was talking about eating low fat
> in those days. I remember the old timers would
> talk about eating simpler, without the
> combo-a-bombo meals, but no one talked about 10%
> fat or less. When I first heard Doug talking about
> fat, it was a big shocker to me. And then I used
> fitday for the first time, and I was so surprise
> at how much fat I was eating.

I have the opposite experience. About the time I
was really paying attention to nutrition is when
the Ornish study came out, which was this huge
relevation: one could actually reverse blockages
with a very low fat diet. So I came into this
with the idea that lower was better than higher
but there are some gray areas. Like: is it really
necessary for a healthy person to be so low all the
time? Or is it best only as a therapeutic basis
when there is some underlying pathology? I found
15% extremely difficult but 20-25% is more doable
in the long term. And if I want to have a treat, I
can plan ahead for it with a few days of 15% or so.
I don't measure and weigh neurotically but I have the
calculator/estimator in the brain.

And yes it seems to me that when people don't pay
attention, their fat intakes will be minimum 40%
but more likely over 60% when they are high or all
raw.

> What is true for me is the more I mono eat, the
> less I eat. When I make a smoothie, I can eat so
> much more bananas than if I just eat them whole or
> with lettuce.

This makes sense, too. Variety makes us want to eat
more. Also, blending partially breaks down the
fibrous matrix and makes it easier to take in
a lot more kcals. With juicing, even more so.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 24, 2007 06:29AM

Pyratekk,

The dark stuff was my faaaaaavorite........ Yum yum. Keep it comin'! Well actually I was kind of into extremes. Really really dark scary stuff, and then I got off on super super happy uplifting harmonious cheesy anthemy tear-jerky trance, maybe to balance things out! Now what does this have to do with raw foods? Umm... well... grinning smiley

Love,
Uma

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: January 25, 2007 01:25AM

Doulas Graham says he eats about 3500 calories a day.
"I do know just from keeping track that I consume
about 3500 calories a day".

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Date: January 25, 2007 02:57AM

That's a lot of calories and food on the 80/10/10 diet..he must spend half of his day just sitting and eating!

Date: January 25, 2007 04:25AM

TroySantos,

Bryan, one of my favorite things that you've mentioned with respect to 80/10/10 is letting go. I think you haven't said specifically letting go of what.

Its all about letting go of that which no longer serves. At some point certain foods no longer served me. It was easy to go from 60%+ fat down to 20%. I just had to pay attention, and find new ways of making my salads taste good without loading on the fat and using flavor enhancers. However, for a long time, being at 20% fat served me. Either because I wasn't eating enough fruit, or I needed some "entertainment" in my food, or I needed to ground the energy in my body from doing so much yoga, or I needed to not feel certain emotions. But over time, I found other ways to ground myself, I was able to experience and release emotions, and my body adapted to lesser and lesser quantities of fat. Foods that used to be entertaining became hard to digest and there were always the consequences that I had to be willing to pay. Even today, if I want to eat at the raw restaurant, I will allow myself that. But I go into the restaurant telling myself that I am a cause in my universe, and if I feel unpleasant or sick the next day, I don't allow myself to complain or fuss over or judge what I did, as I ate and enjoyed my raw gourmet meal consciously.

Date: January 25, 2007 04:39AM

na(raw)dia,

I don't watch my intake on a daily basis or weekly basis, but more on a monthly and yearly basis. Part of this is because in the summer and fall, it is easy to eat no overt fats most of the time (even when I started 80/10/10, this was easy). However, when it get cold, and the fruit doesn't taste as great as it did in the summer, things get a little harder. At least they used to. Nowadays, I don't feel the need for fat in the winter.

I don't recommend cutting out overt fats completely, unless they don't feel good to you. If you like overt fats, enjoy them. Just not every day, month after month, year after year.

I highly recommend getting "The 80/10/10 Diet". It is available on Doug's website [www.foodnsport.com]

The book doesn't talk about fasting. In the last 12 months, I've fast 4 times for 3 to 4 days. 5 years ago I did a 10 day water fast, and over a year ago I did a 12 day water fast. When I do a longer water fast, I clear my schedule as much as possible so that I can get as much rest as possible. The healing in a water fast comes from the rest and sleep you get, more that not eating food. Not eating food allows your body to put all of its energies towards healing, but if you are doing work or you are up and about, the energy to move your body around is not going towards your healing.

If you go to [www.rawfoodexplained.com] , they have some good articles on fasting. If you want some in depth information, check out this online book by Herbert Shelton.

Date: January 25, 2007 07:22AM

Thanks Bryan! I do enjoy overt fats but in moderation. Last summer I would eat one serving of a type of overt fat once a week and felt really good! So I'm trying to get back to that.

With the fasting, I've done a 14 day juice fast. 5 cups at the most per day...I've tried to do a water fast and get low blood sugar and really weak...! Then again I wasn't resting like I was suppose to like you said!

Did/do you experience any of these symptoms?

Date: January 26, 2007 05:20AM

When I first started raw, each time I did a water fast I would have flu-like symptoms. Fever, achy muscles, mucus. But after a year, fasting would no longer bring on symptoms.

I do have less energy on a water fast. This is because the sugars in my body, and my glycogen stores exhaust themselves after 36 hours of not eating. After that point, I am burning fat to fuel myself, and this is not as pleasant as burning glucose or glycogen. On my first 10 day water fast, I worked the last 3 days of the fast. I was definitely weak during those 3 days of working.

After the fat stores, the body starts burning protein. I am not sure I've ever reached this state, as my longest water fast was only 12 days.

I do not recommend working like I did when fasting on only water. When I did the fast, I did not know about complete physiological rest as being the main point of doing a water fast. If you are going to water fast, its best to spend as much time in bed and asleep as possible.

Also, its safe to water fast for 3 days. Longer than that, especially if you haven't had much experience with fasting, can be dangerous and is best done with supervision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables