Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What's Your Favorite Fruit?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 23, 2007 10:44PM

I don't know what is my favorite. I tend to concentrate on the cheaper things that are more conventional as opposed to the exotic tropicals. I never got into mangos or durians and I can live without papaya (although it is one of the most nutritous choices).

But I think the drool factor is strongest when I haven't had a North American seasonal fruit in a long time and then they suddenly appear in the grocery store and I can smell them the instant I walk in. Usually that means apricots and peaches.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: January 24, 2007 05:54AM

I have been seeing and eating hierloom tomatoes this time of year it must be the season they are a good pick.

I will start seeing Durians the middle of March cant wait.

For many years I would plan all my trips around when and where the mango season was last year I did the same thing this year mango season will start for me in about a month and by June I will be in Florida for mango season.
Just Love Them Mangos
Cherimoyas also but it is a hard find sometimes.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 24, 2007 08:02AM

Jackfruit is my favorite.

Mangostein is right up there. Purple on the outside, flavorful melting white sections on the the inside.

Has anyone tasted rollinia deliciosa? When they're picked ripe, they're VERY creamy and taste like cherry pie filling. They're an annonaceous fruit like cherimoya.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 24, 2007 08:57AM

FruityJules Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uti,
>
> Where do you like to go in Costa Rica? I've only
> been there once. . .would like to explore more
> next time.
>
> I really enjoy all your posts!
>
> Love,
> Julie

Julie,

I don't know anything from experience - yet. This will be my first trip out of the U.S., except for a week I spent in SanFelipe, Baja, which barely counts as being out of the U.S.

We're going to a place for the first week called Art of Union. After that - we're still deciding on where to go, but it will probably include some beach time, in the Montezuma area maybe. There are six of us from our yoga family going, including Uma and Bryan. We've gotten several guide books and are passing them around, throughly dissecting them and checking out places on the web as well as receiving input from local people who have been there.

Friend and fellow raw food stalwart Ela from the Bay Area is down there right now. She just finished assisting at a retreat with Frederic Patenaude and is now chilling out at a place that looks great called Cascada Verde.

Dr. Doug Graham holds his fasting retreats at Rio Chirripo. Another great looking place.

I'm sure there will be some posts about the fruit and raw food scene when we return in March.

Hey, what's that big cat's name you're holding in your photo?

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: January 24, 2007 02:36PM

Wow. Thanks for all that info, Uti!

I spent time around Uvita, on the southern Pacific coast. I went there with Doug Graham and a few others and it was an awesome time! The fruit was amazing. I love Costa Rica. It is a fruit lover's paradise, for sure. The air smells like perfume and everything is beautiful.

I know you will love it there.

Thank you for asking about my kitty, Sophie. She died only a month ago, killed shockingly in some sort of freak accident. My heart is broken in a million pieces. She was/is the love of my life. We have a deep bond of love, the purest kind. It has been a difficult time for me.

By the way, I am a yoga teacher and I just read your autobiography complete with wonderful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing! It is inspiring and uplifting. I think I'll read it again. . .

smiling smiley

Love,
Julie

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: January 24, 2007 03:52PM

cherimoya Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been seeing and eating hierloom tomatoes
> this time of year it must be the season they are a
> good pick.

Oh, I can't wait until it is tomato season here! My husband grows some fabulous heirloom tomatoes! Yummy yummy!!!!

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 27, 2007 11:12PM

Suncloud where can you purchase rollinia deliciosa? I can't even find an article about it on Wikipedia!

Date: January 28, 2007 01:23AM

Hi VeganLife,

They grow here in Hawaii, but are not native to here (almost nothing is). According to "Manual of Tropical and Subtropical Fruits" (1948 by Wilson Popenoe), they are also called "Biriba", and they are common to Para, Brazil, a tropical lowlands area.

Apparently they also grow in Florida (or at least they did in 1948), but Popenoe considered those fruits to be inferior. Maybe with a really good seed, they could acclimate to Florida, or maybe they already have.

Davidmason, if you are reading this, have you seen any rollinia deliciosa around?

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 28, 2007 01:30AM

Pears, apricots, cherries, papayas,dates,cranberries,tomatoes, bell peppers, avocados, I love all of them!

Date: January 28, 2007 02:48AM

Me too Rawrrr! Nothin like a good orange.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: January 28, 2007 04:41AM

nothing i love more than biting into a juicycrunchysweet
organic fuji apple. also huge fan of the bosc pear, crunchy
not overripemushy

come spring its about 5 huge watermelons per week.

the fall is a nonstop persimmon party

and once i sampled a raw bananacoconut pie
there are no words

Date: January 28, 2007 05:33AM

I love persimmons

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables