Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

abdominal pain
Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: January 26, 2007 06:28PM

Yesterday I had very bad pain in or above my stomach and around to my back, and I went to the hospital because it was so painful.

The doctor said that it was either acid reflux or a reaction to food or a virus... I don't have pain today, but now I'm worried. One of my worries is that it could be acid reflux as a result of drinking grapefruit juice. I usually have about 32 oz of grapefruit juice per day, 16oz once in the morning and once around 5pm.

So, do you know if grapefruit juice should be something to worry about if my diet consists mostly of raw vegetables. I still eat some cooked grains and cottage cheese. Though that is starting to feel heavy, so maybe I'll will be able to remove that soon.

Or what about pineapple. I've been having pineapple about once a day for the last couple of months. It feels a little acidic recently.

Other than that, the release form from the hospital says I'm supposed to eat a "easy to digest" meal. I thought raw vegetables were considered hard to digest. Maybe it's hard to metabolize not digest. Do you know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: abdominal pain
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:15PM

So sorry to hear of your discomfort. I'm no expert, but a couple of questions:

In case the grapefruit just is not agreeing with you, can you experiment? Could you try some other juice for a while and see if the situation improves? Might be a good thing to figure out for yourself, we all react differently to things.

Also, I thought all fruits and veggies (well chewed or blended) were pretty easy to digest, compared with say, meat or grains, which take a little longer. But then, maybe some things are better than others. Again, I would experiment.

What about changing the daily pineapple to a daily papaya - isn't that supposed to be really great for digestion?

Please post back when you find anything that works!

Good luck,
Sapphire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2007 10:20PM by Sapphire.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 27, 2007 05:44AM

liponeer,

It could be that you are consuming too many acidic foods. Are you living in the tropics and getting ripe and recently picked pineapple. Or are you living in a temperate climate and the pineapple is flown in? Because I've noticed a big difference between eating pineapple when I am on vacation in Thailand, and when I am eating pineapple here in the US.

The pineapple here in the US tends to be under ripe, and it doesn't ripen that much more if you let it sit in your kitchen. So these pineapples are less sweet than their freshly picked stalk ripened counterparts, and more acidic. For me, when I eat this kind of pineapple, I get burn in my mouth, and if I am not careful, these burns last hours. I could imagine that perhaps in your body, you are experiencing these burns, or perhaps even ulcers, in your digestive system.

Also, 32 oz is a lot of juice if the grapefruit is acidic. If it tastes sweet an not too acidic, it should be OK. But if it has a bite to it, it could be affecting you, especially in conjunction with eating under ripe pineapple.

Perhaps for the time being, you might want to choose some less acidic fruits and fruits that are easy for your body to digest. Pay attention to food combining principles, and if possible eat your fruit in a mono-meal fashion.

Also, eat a lot of greens will help. Something like a head of lettuce a day, or an entire stalk of celery, or a pound of spinach or other tender greens.

Posted by: liponeer ()
Date: January 27, 2007 07:33AM

Well, today I've had aches in my legs like I'm sick and I've had no stomach pain. So I suspect it is some sort of illness rather than acid reflux. Maybe it's e coli...

Anyway, I eat almost the same thing every day which is a quarter of a cabbage, a stock of broccoli, a couple of carrots, 2 leaves of collard greens, 2 bananas, 2 apples, 3 medjool dates, 2 16 oz glasses of grapefruit juice and cottage cheese about a cup of pineapple and rice + kamult (cooked) with about 2 tbs raw hummus mixed in (sprouted chickpeas mixed with raw tahini, cumin and coriander seed and juice of one lemon).

The grapefruit juice is sweet not acidic. Today I had orange juice instead of the grapefruit juice and no pineapple. Sometimes the pinapple is very sweet, and sometimes not so much In anycase, the pineapple seems like maybe it's a bit to acidic sometimes. So, I think I'll watch out for that too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables