Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What do you do for a living???
Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: January 26, 2007 08:09PM

I was wondering what most people on this forum do for living. Do many of you work in the health food industry? Have you made a career out of your interest in raw foods/health foods, etc.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you do for a living???
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: January 26, 2007 08:34PM

Sadly, no, I have not made a career out of my raw food lifestyle.

I am in accounting. I only work a few hours each day though, which is perfect. I get to spend time with my daughter the rest of the time!

Posted by: JGex ()
Date: January 26, 2007 08:42PM

We made a career out of our interest in music... we create posters and album art for bands and music events.

We are setting up a second business... an organic co-op.

;o)

Judy

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 26, 2007 09:29PM

Yes! I run Funky Raw - an online raw food shop, magazine and festival and I run raw food prep workshops and wild food walks.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:32PM

I'm into Electronics.
Brian

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:39PM

I'm a Workforce Professional. I conduct business outreach to match job seekers with local business and promote community job-seeker and business promotion.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: January 26, 2007 10:41PM

welder.no raw food anywhere near there.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 26, 2007 11:16PM

Research in applied maths plus lecturing here. Love it!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: January 27, 2007 12:10AM

I am an illustrator that works in all fields...from "how to to this hairdo in three steps" to artsy illustration.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: January 27, 2007 12:21AM

I'm a bum!
A Harvard bum!!!

Just kidding, actually I think that being a wanderer
seems to be beneficial in some respects. If I could
find a place that didn't have a changing climate/temperatures
then I'd could live free off of many peoples fruit trees/
gardens. Where I live fruit trees go to waste, even peoples
gardens). Whose gonna miss 1 cuke, 1 toma, 1 carrot,
1 peach, 1 apple, etc.? In fact
there's this place with 4 acres of land and has plethora of fruits
& veggies that go untouched. If I was a wanderer this
would be my place......lol.

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: January 27, 2007 12:34AM

I'm a life coach.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: January 27, 2007 01:05AM

I am a banker by day, and a raw enthusiast by night. Working on starting a raw business so I can spend all of my time doing what I believe in, and what I love.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 27, 2007 01:57AM

when i was working...i was caregiving and doing hospice.loved it so very much.now i take care of my little grandsons about 50 hours a week for free. thay are my heart.so naughty,so cute and so sweet.

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: January 27, 2007 02:24AM

I am a statistician. That's my job anyway. I am pretty good in statistics, maths, computers (programming, web).

Gosia, if it's not a secret, where do you teach?

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: January 27, 2007 03:35AM

I"m a full time student studying psychology to become a mental health counselor and a part time nanny and a part time raw food coach.

Audrey

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 27, 2007 05:53AM

I do carpentry from the ground up, woodworking, electrical, plumbing, alternative energy systems (solar, micro hydro electric, hybrid systems), country homestead water systems (find the water and design a way to store and deliver it), a little backhoe operating, welding, stone work, tile setting, small engine repair, auto repair, whatever it takes to build, repair, and maintain a place in the country and promote independence.

I've explored bodywork and healing as a possible new career and apprenticed with someone for several years, but I've never hung my shingle out on that one.

Being competent in a lot of trades keeps work interesting. Sometimes I feel like a kid who has unlimited choices on what he wants to be when he grows up. One day I'll be making sawdust in my shop, the next I might be out in the woods trying to capture and deliver more water from a spring for someone's house and garden.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 27, 2007 10:58AM

Rawdev, WHERE are you?!

Uti, sounds real real cool.

I teach (but few are learning!) English to mostly little kids in South Korea. I came here for two reasons. One, to make money cause I was nearly broke (after 7 years in Thailand where I found fabulous ways to do very little paid work) and plan to return to the US at the end of this year. And two, to learn Korean style Zen (Seon, as it's called here). The teaching is so very useful for Buddhist practice! A real handful.

Sometime next year I expect to be back in the US. I'm now looking around on the internet to find a place to live. When I get to the US I'll actually go to some of these places.

Years and years ago I decided that the work I want to do has to be something that I enjoy. No spending the great majority of my waking hours, five days a week, if it's not something that I'm passionate about. Won't do it.

In the US, I intend to live either at a Buddhist temple or an intentional community with a strong spiritual practice. If I go the latter route, it'll ideally be raw vegan, but I'm flexible on this one.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

What a awesome bunch!
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: January 27, 2007 07:38PM

I"m flipped - happy flipped - that there are so many raw folk tendrilling into so many places and spaces in the world. Fantastic folk! Raw Fam!

Date: January 27, 2007 11:03PM

Greetings from Australia, James!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: January 27, 2007 11:36PM

Rawdev, WHERE are you?!

Salt Lake City, Utah and no.............I'm not Mormon, if that question was coming!

For the little time I am in there I'll write whats in there. Also keep in mind that I've probably only treaded a portion of this area/land.
I'm telling ya this 4 acres of land is has everything that can be grown in Utah.
You walk along this fence that's like 300 yards long with seeded purple and green grapes. there's many varieties of apple trees (golden, red delicious, jonagold, granny, macintosh, are the ones I've tasted), I'd say in my guesstimation over 30 huge trees just in apples. 4 Plum trees, 4 peach trees, 6 cherry trees, 1 pear tree. Again these are what I've counted in the small time I've been inside. there's this area around a vacant shack (it's about to fall over, every time I'm in there I'm surprised it's still up) that has probably 10-15 bushes with grape size tomatoes.
3 huge walnut trees (Just one of these trees would feed all of us on here for like six months).
There's so much area I haven't surfaced but will in time..........lol
It seems to get water through an old irrigation ditch/river that during the spring ran-off floods the field...umm...excuse me FIELDS. And even during the summer from the Utah mountains supplies the FIELDS with water.
In the six years I've lived around this area, no-one and I mean no-one has been a caretaker.
It serious like a Garden of Eden.
The only reason I don't spend much time (only get what my 2 bags can hold) is it's fenced off but no trespassing signs, at least along all the fence I've seen.
So I'm still a little leery every time I go/enter.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: January 28, 2007 12:21AM

I find it amusing, that when the question "What do you do for a living?" is ask, people are really asking you "What do you do for money?"

What do I do for a living? I'd prefer to answer it with what I do so I know I am living.

I teach kung fu, only advanced students and privately right now, but I really would like a beginner class again (maybe people who have never done a martial art before).

I kayak, arranging and leading trips (day and overnight/multinight). I would also like to teach kayaking again (I used to many years ago).

I dance. Baddly. But it's so so sooooooo fulfilling for me to dance. I go out dancing almost every night, I would go more if possible. I practice all the time
(I should probably practice kayaking and kung fu more, but I'm already proffienent at those compared to dancing).

I hula-hoop. Baddly. Hula-hooping makes me happy. I love to hoop, practice tricks, learn tricks, hoop to music, with friends.

I like to help. Help me friends chasing their dreams, or just through a dark time. Help animals that have lost their way or are in distress.

Those are my living.

Only one part missing (and I just figure this out recently), to find a kung fu fighting, kayaking, tango dancing, hula-hooping girl who likes to help her friends and animals. ;-)

Oh yeah, since you were probably more interested in the "What do I do for money?" bit. I'm a software engineer (but my job is only a means to (my) living, it is not my living). smiling smiley

Love,
Ian.

Date: January 28, 2007 01:04AM

Doing something for living and doing something for money are not two mutually exclusive things. In my case, my work is my living. Getting money for doing what I love is a bonus.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2007 04:04AM

I'm a student at a local community college and work full time as a clerk at a pet feed store. Not the most glamorous but I have hopes and desires of getting out of these rather mundane activities and into breathing fresh air and developing healthy relationships, all the while helping others!

By the way - JGex, that sounds really great what you do, band album art and posters and now an organic co-op. where are on earth are you located?

love and peace,

brian

myspace.com/briankpratt

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 28, 2007 05:07AM

Right now my healing is my life's focus. I spend a lot of time with yoga and organic gardening. I live on an organic farm and do some work there, sometimes do editing work. I also do hospice work.

TroySantos: I stayed at the San Francisco Zen Center for a bit. They also have an organic farm in Marin, and a retreat center near Big Sur. I was raw and even though they serve vegetarian, not raw vegan, they were very accomodating and I was able to prepare my own meals and even request certain produce ordered (at the time it was tons of avocados since i was eating several a day in my high fat phase!).

Love,
Uma

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 28, 2007 11:26AM

UMMAA! Really?! Green Gulch, and what's the other one ... they're two places I want to visit. They accomodated raw? Wow. You say you stayed there, meaning you stayed as a short term visitor, doing a course, or, did you stay long term, or, just what was your status there? Tell me more please.

I lived at a couple of Buddhist temples in Thailand for four years. With organic farms. It's really great.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: SlimLadyRunner ()
Date: January 28, 2007 01:39PM

modeling, going to school

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 28, 2007 01:55PM

I work in financial services. This pays the mortgage. My heart is not in it at all, I feel like I work for the wrong side, stock market etc.

I have obligations but meditation practice gives me plenty to work with in the meantime.

I would love to have been a Yoga instructor. I only get to do that on the side.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 28, 2007 05:03PM

I am an owner of a Living Food retreat and health center here in Sweden with my wife and newborn baby.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: January 28, 2007 06:16PM

Ian, you rock!! I'm 55 and married, but if I wasn't - I'd be Ian huntingsmiling smiley

Here's what makes me alive!

Kayaking - the Weeki Wachi river in Florida, the Colorado River in Colorado, also in Utah, Salt River in Arizona, Florida Keys, etc. However one of my favorites is just the little old Sugar Creek here at home in Indiana. I LOVE to take people with me that have never been in a kayak before and watch them fall in love! I can honestly say that I have never taken anyone (been doing this for 15 yrs) that has not loved it and wanted to go back again. They usually become one with the kayak within 5 minutes.

For all you out there that have never kayaked, please try it sometime! Don't go through this life without experiencing some of the most fun that can be had - by your average person and not some super athlete. Whether it's a lake, ocean, creek, river etc. - depending on your physical condition - please give it a try - you deserve it!

I have a recumbent tadpole trike that is just so funky and fun to ride. My knees are not in the greatest condition - so probably no cross country trips or super long treks for me, but boy do I love it! One of the funniest things that happens is that as I ride along (in the spring and summer) I'm so close to the ground that I notice EVERYTHING GREEN. I am absolutely taking a foraging class this summer so that I can gather my food as I go! I already know what purslane and a couple of other prolific plants look like. There's just someithing of a rush in going out for a ride and returning with lunch!!!

Growing sprouts seems to take up some of my time these days - I enjoy it. Having green growing things in the middle of the winter makes my heart light. One of my neighbors came up to me last summer and wanted to know what it was that I was growing. I had several flats of sprouts on a cart that I push in and out of the garage to keep them from too much direct sun and heat. He automatically assumed that I was selling them. When I told him that I eat all of them, he just looked at me like I had two heads!

Being a recovering alcoholic, I spend a lot of time helping those who are new in recovery. I sponsor several women - keeps me on the phone more than I like, (therefore the need of a cordless with a headset) but it is so rewarding. There's just nothing like seeing a destroyed, depleted, sick person - filled with self-hatred begin to get well, get a Higher Power in their life and then go on to help others. I feel so blessed.

I spend time at our county jail with the women. Again - most of them are addicts and are there for crimes directly related to drugs or alcohol. I spend of lot of time driving people around who have lost the priveledge of driving.

My own neice is an addict and was sent to prison. She has a little (recently four yrs. old) daughter. My sister has custody, but needs help and so I have stepped into their lives as a bigger part of the family support system. I fall madly in love with my great-neice all over again - every day! I truly am blessed!

I'm not earning any money at this time. However - that will have to change before long. I will probably go back to my old source of income,which just doesn't "do it for me", anymore. That is working as an artist doing basketmaking and gourd art and a few other things here and there. My hopes that if I do have to go back to work, that once I get the creative juices flowing - that doing art work will make my heart sing again. Unless the Universe has other plans for me - which it often does - I sure a Hell didn't write in my highschool yearbook that I wanted to set aside x amound of years to become an alcoholic!!

I also never intended to make a living doing art work. I hated art class as a kid. Go figure!

I'm a pretty happy camper no matter what I'm doing as long as I'm experiencing love. I love my sprouts, I love my food, I love my sponsees, I love my husband, I love my sister, neice and great-neice, I love kayaking and biking, I love the time that I spend in the kitchen and I love all of you! Love keeps me alive and I have a lot of it.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: JGex ()
Date: January 28, 2007 06:57PM

KendallBP Wrote:
> By the way - JGex, that sounds really great what
> you do, band album art and posters and now an
> organic co-op. where are on earth are you
> located?
>
> love and peace,
>
> brian
>
> myspace.com/briankpratt

We live in north Georgia 20 minutes outside of Athens... sort of the Universe's little joke plopping us down in the middle of a red state. There is a modest liberal community in the area, so it's not all bad. Our work is done with clients from all over, so location doesn't hamper that.

The co-op would be the first of its kind in this town.

Here's a print for Klipsch Audio we did recently - my SO is the artist:

Judy

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables