Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Frozen durian question to durian lovers
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 01, 2007 09:38PM

Luke and I have both noticed that we feel slightly dehydrated after eating durian that had been frozen. We never tried a fresh durian. I would be interested if you had a similar experience. And if you did and tried a fresh durian, did you feel dehydrated too? Many thanks!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frozen durian question to durian lovers
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 01, 2007 10:31PM

I've eaten lots of durian but never had frozen durian. And I've probably never felt dehydrated afterwards. I am interested to try a frozen durian though.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 01, 2007 10:39PM

I am the queen of frozen durian. I eat so much of it. I kind of get a tummy ache, like its sitting and not moving in my tummy. Yes. Iam lucky if I get one that is perfect.

Let's get one and eat it!

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: February 02, 2007 12:54AM

Hi rawgosia, durian is a local fruit in my country (Malaysia) so I always get to eat the fresh ones. Once I had 30+ days 100% raw and eat almost 100% durian. Most of them are organic because I bought them from my primary school teacher who planted lots of durian trees in her yard without using any pesticides or stuff like that. I don't remember feeling dehydrated that time but my experience may not be right because my body probably was not clean yet (The straight 30+ days is my longest 100% raw period lol).

Date: February 02, 2007 01:36AM

Tell me blue_sky, do you prefer Malaysian durian over Thai monthon? Have you tried the local durians from the south of Thailand? I lived there for a couple of years (southern Thailand) and ate a good portion of both. I prefer the monthon but know some people who prefer the local. I have tried the Malaysian varieties that Malaysians have told me were the best. But I never could tell much difference between them and the local durians from southern Thailand. Malaysians have told me that Thais use too much agricultural chemical and that Malaysians use far less. What's your opinion on these things?

And, shoot, how did your 30+ days on mostly durian go? After about 6 years of eating durian I started to feel like I was having difficulty digesting it. Like what you expressed coconutcream, sitting in my tummy and not moving. Toward the end I ate much less because of this reason.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Posted by: ela ()
Date: February 02, 2007 01:40AM

Hello! Durianaholic (it saved my life!) here.

First off, to answer Gosia's question - yes, I have on occasion found both fresh and frozen durian to have a dehydrating effect. When I was in Thailand, eating fresh local organic durian, the advice I was given by the locals was that one should drink some water _before_ eating the durian - when you're full of durian and suddenly feel really thirsty, it's not the best time to chug a load of water bc you're full of durian winking smiley

I'm intending to go back to Thailand this summer but also to visit Malaysia and experience the durian there - I've heard that it's the very best.

blue_sky - I'm envious of you! Please could you tell us which months will be durian season in Malaysia (esp in Penang) this year? - I'm just looking into getting my ticket.

love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: February 02, 2007 01:51AM

I get them in Chinatown in NYC, I doubt they are organic. the whole thing is definitely a meal or more. I wouldn't say they are dehydrating, but they are super dense and heavy

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: February 02, 2007 03:33AM

Hi Gosia,

Yes, I have found the exact same thing. I find frozen durian to be very dehydrating. Have not tried fresh but my guess would be that the effect would not be too different, since the frozen durian has retained its water content.

I have also found that in general, durian digestion is much more difficult than other fruits.

Cheers.

Date: February 02, 2007 04:51AM

Happy to hear from all the durian lovers! smiling smiley

Thanks ela (hello!) for the tip!

learningtofly, as frozen food (which I am not that keen on) has a different effect on me than the fresh food, I've been wondering whether it is the durian itself, or the frozen-food factor. Cooked food for example is dehydrating for me. Also, I find eating juicy fruit more hydrating than drinking water, so I think that water content is not all. It seems that durians are so dense that they have that slightly dehydrating effect on me.

blue_sky, you lucky "in paradise living" person!

My whole family, including the children, is hooked on durian.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: February 02, 2007 01:52PM

Hi TroySantos, personally I prefer Malaysian durian over Thai monthon. I've tried Thai monthon several times but I'm not sure if they were from southern Thailand. To me, I think the differences between them two are that Thai monthon has stronger/better smell but less tasty, and the Malaysian varieties are vice versa.

For agricultural chemical part I think that Malaysians and Thais are pretty much the same. I don't know much about it, but I could easily tell the difference between the ones I bought from my primary school teachers and the ones I bought on street. The former ones which I believed is organic have much better taste and the fresh is much softer, and the latter ones which might not be organic don't taste as good and fresh is significantly harder as if it was not ripe at all. Maybe this proved that agricultural chemical is quite heavily used as well for Malaysian durian.

I ate mostly durians for 30+ days because I can't really find anything raw which is tastier than that smiling smiley. So far I still have no problem digesting them and I hope I never will, lol.

Ela, you're coming to Malaysia just to eat durians?? Too bad the durian season had just over but will come again after 3-4 months. If I'm not wrong we have most of our durians around September, which the durian season will lasts for 2 months.

Gosia, I still love durians very much but until I could get myself more durians I'll be loaded with bananas!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 01:54PM by blue_sky.

Date: February 02, 2007 04:30PM

blue_sky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The former ones which I believed is
> organic have much better taste and the fresh is
> much softer, and the latter ones which might not
> be organic don't taste as good and fresh is
> significantly harder as if it was not ripe at all.

Sorry, not 'fresh' but 'flesh'.

Date: February 02, 2007 06:29PM

blue_sky - thanks for your response/advice. Not just coming to Malaysia to eat durian, but that is definitely a strong motivation.

I was looking at coming sometime June/July/August - so probably later is better within that window?

Whereabouts in Malaysia are you?

Gosia, I agree that juicy fruits are more hydrating than water. I hope that you and your family get to feast on fresh durian sometime soon. But as I said, it seems like after fresh durian one can get thirsty too (although I think you're right that it's more pronounced after frozen).

love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Date: February 03, 2007 06:39AM

ela, I stay in Johor, south of Johor. Durian season differs by a bit in Malaysia depending on the location. Sometimes I can't find anymore durians here but still see plenty in northern part of Malaysia (e.g. Penang) after a month or so.

Date: February 03, 2007 05:45PM

Thanks so much, blue_sky!

I was hoping to go to Penang area - had heard that the durian there can't be beat. Am guessing that the season there will be somewhat earlier than where you are. But I'm open to going south in Malaysia too - so much wonderful world to discover!

love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2007 07:49PM

I have a frozen durian...should i try to eat it right after it is thawed? I have also heard to wait until it splits open?

Any suggestions?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 13, 2007 10:40PM

intheraw,

Yes, eat the durian as soon as it is thawed. It will not ripen any further as the freezing process has killed any life the durian once had. I like to find frozen ones that are already a little bit split open.

Date: February 13, 2007 10:43PM

I like to warm up my durian in the sun.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2007 10:44PM by rawgosia.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 14, 2007 12:25AM

intheraw,

Here is a tip for choosing a frozen durian (from another website):

HOW TO SELECT DURIANS

When choosing a frozen durian, look for three characteristics:

1. Choose browner and yellower durians instead of green.

2. Choose a durian that is just starting to split its skin longitudinally.

3. Choose durians that are heavier for their size.

What I look for are durians that are more spherical rather than oblong. Or at least the pods look like they are bulging.

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: February 14, 2007 12:43AM

Hi Gosia,

I find that the longer I eat a very simple, pure diet the more sensitive I become to all "less than ideal" food choices. All frozen fruit makes me a feel a bit "off" after I eat, so I stay away from it all. I can't wait to find some fresh durian!

All the best,

Audrey

Date: February 14, 2007 12:49AM

Audrey, thanks for your response!

Last week I had another de-frozen durian again and I felt quite uncomfortable afterwads. It could have been bad food combining (not enought time after the previous meal) and not feeling hungry enough, too much fat (the previous day I had more than ususal and having fatty durian made things worse). I thought that the next time I try durian, I will ensure to have a truly empty stomach and see how I feel then. If the bad story continues, I may well give up my love for durian until I can get some fresh one!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: February 14, 2007 01:01AM

Hello, all,

Can anyone point me to a Website from which I can order a durian?

Here's my email address: arilraw@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Arilraw

Posted by: uma ()
Date: February 14, 2007 02:35AM

There are some people at genefitnutrition.com that last I heard were selling fresh organic durian (very expensive) mail order. Not sure if they still are? They're in San Diego. They also have expensive organic young thai coconuts.

I LOVE durian. But I know that the imported frozen ones are sprayed with chemicals. In the past I would just shrug it off because I love durian so much, but lately I'm wondering if I'm getting more sensitive and am feeling some chemical-ness from it. Does anyone else have this experience?

Love,
Uma

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: February 14, 2007 08:13AM

Coconutdream

They say a lot of people have that funny feeling in their stomach after eating large amounts it maybe from its high sulphur content.

Gosia

When I eat durian I always have a lot of water or juicy fruit hours before I eat it and maybe some cukes or celery ect right before I eat it.

I only eat fresh ones now no more frozen ones the last time I ate a frozen one was about 5 years ago in Florida it cant compare to fresh so I will wait a few more weeks and here in Thailand I will see them in the market soon.

Remember it is very rich and can overwhelm some people.
I will only eat twice a week the most it is easy to go overboard when it comes to durian hard to stop eating taste sooooooooooooo goooooooooooood.

Blue sky

My record is 7 days straight not by itself though.
Wow 30 days.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: February 15, 2007 05:53AM

Yes there are people selling fresh durian in San Diego, we can find it at Whole Foods in La Jolla, but at $24 a pound, kind of pricey, too much for me. I prefer my $3 a pound cherimoyas from the farmers market.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: February 15, 2007 05:38PM

Cherimoya, you're in Thailand, and you'll only wait a few more weeks until fresh durians arrive? Where in Thailand are you anyway? Sounds like out of season durian, which you could probably find now. It's not available every day at every market, but it is available all year round. Just more filled with who knows what and more expensive.

Have you been to Chanthaburi during the high season? I've been there and seen what the middlemen do to the fruits. They cut the stem and apply some chemical that makes the fruit ripen sooner. They dip the entire fruit in a solution that makes all the segments ripen at the same time. They jack up the local price drastically. The growers get next to nothing for their sweat.

I was staying with some friends who grow durian and other fruits in that region. It's pretty awful the stranglehold that many middlemen are putting on the growers in order to get the lowest possible price. Growers are having a rough time making a living selling at such low prices. Middlemen cooperate to force growers to sell cheap. Growers, for some reason, haven't organized to hold out for higher prices or find some other way to get reasonable prices for their durians.

The plight of small time farmers ... I think it's pretty much the same in most countries. One more reason to shop at farmers markets whenever possible. And co-ops.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: February 16, 2007 02:54AM

TroySantos

Where I am in Thailand it is too cool in the winter to grow them here I am in the Northern part of the country most come from the south as you mentioned Chantaburi.
I have never been there during high season only in October when they are out of season.
I only shop at the local markets for my produce so you dont really see to many of them up here I was told the ones that will be in season first are coming from the south Chumpon and farther south in a few weeks.

This past week I am starting to see a lot of Nam Dauk mai mangos coming from Sukothai .
Where I am the main local fruit now is tamarind which I dont eat very often and there are still alot of local papayas and bananas around also rose apple trees all over town.
Had some fresh Lucamas about a month ago they were really good the vendor I bought them from said they were growing near a Wat here in town.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Date: February 16, 2007 03:49AM

I lived in Chiang Mai for a few years. Really liked it there. Two years in the mountains at a temple. Great. And nearly a year in Chiang Mai city. Where are you? Do you live there or are you there temporarily?

What's the Thai name for cherimoya? I had seen this name, I don't remember where, when I was there but never found out the Thai name.

I doubt the durian season will start up so soon. More like June at the earliest. The southern durians come in season later than those in the Chanthaburi region.

Date: February 16, 2007 04:07AM

Cherimoya is Noi-na (or maybe that's an Atemoya - close, anyway).

I was just hearing from a friend who lives in Koh Samui that they had a second durian season this winter, and a really good one. It seems to depend somewhat on the rain pattern how much the trees fruit in the main (June--August) season and whether they also get a second season. But the durian on Samui is awesome - lots of locally grown 'durian ban' (heirloom stuff)

Sounds like you'd just have to go and live there and take chance of when the season shows up!

love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 16, 2007 05:09AM

I've only eaten one durian ever. It was frozen from the health food store, and I ate it as soon as it thawed. I usually never eat fruit that's been frozen, but I was really curious because I'd heard so much about durian.

I fully expected to really love the taste, but instead, it tasted SO horrible! I had to throw it away far out in the forest because after I tasted it, just the smell of it was making me feel so sick. Then afterwards, it seemed like the smell stayed in my nose for hours.

I think it was already cut in half when I bought it, but I'm not sure.

Cherimoya mentioned that the fresh ones are better than the frozen ones. I've heard that before. Has anyone had that experience with the frozen ones, and yet still liked the fresh ones? Are some of the frozen ones a lot better than other frozen ones?

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 16, 2007 07:14AM

Hi suncloud...wow...i had this expereince today!!! i was so excited and thought i would love the frozen durian as well..after all so many people raved about it and i love fruit...i even bought a lot of it 4 pounds haha.....it was the worst thing...i ate like 2 bites and it was weird and i didnt' like it so i thought maybe just to use up some i would put a little bit like 2 bites in a blender with 2 bananas a young coconut with the meat..and 1 cup of grapes...well after i blended it the taste overwhelmed the smoothie so i added some green powder even that didn't help...then i felt like the whole apartment smelled like it...i was really weirded out by this...i still fee like i can sort of smell it...yuck lol...i can't believe i wasted my money sad haha i could of bought tons of banana's
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxox

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables