Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone get the winter blues even on raw?
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 02, 2007 02:28AM

I actually had to go to a tanning booth today. yech.

I should add that I'm not 100% raw so maybe that's a factor. Or maybe I just had a weird day today. Full moon? PMS? Zeolite usually fixes but it didn't today. Hmm...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 02:34AM by sunshine79.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone get the winter blues even on raw?
Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: February 02, 2007 02:37AM

yep

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 02, 2007 08:31AM

Maybe you can take vitamin D to see if that helps.

Date: February 05, 2007 04:12AM

VeganLife thank you so much for that brilliant suggestion!!!

That's EXACTLY what it was, a vitamin D deficiency! I felt INSTANTLY back to normal after taking some, like within an hour.

And it makes sense, of course, now that I think about it- without sun or fortified dairy products, the Vit D stores are bound to be depleted in the winter.

I felt SO AWFUL, it was a weird, different sort of depression. Very weird, I couldn't stop obsessing about getting some sunshine.

Thank you thank you thank you!! such an easy fix smiling smiley

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 05, 2007 09:05PM

hmm vitamin D.. I got to remember that next time it happens to me.

Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 06, 2007 12:42AM

Of course. I HATE English winters but this winter has been so mild. Usually I am semi-suicidal. It is the lack of the sun more than diet I suspect (though of course diet is a good place to start). I don't know what the Scandinavians do. I might get me one of those fake sun SAD machines.

Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: February 06, 2007 12:47AM

I despise winter, and can't stand not being in the sun. I certainly get winter blues, mainly because I'd rather be outside laying on the beach than having 35 degree days. Has nothing to do with health, diet or anything. I just can't stand winter. smiling smiley

Best,
Mark

Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 06, 2007 12:49AM

Also I am thin and the cold just goes right to my bones. But I love my fashion so bundling up is never appealing. I invariably regret it when I go out.

Date: February 06, 2007 08:45PM

Wow, that Vitamin D is really working for me. I haven't felt this good in months, ever since it got too cold to lay in the sun.

Last week I was so depressed all I could think about was a trip to Florida - this week, after taking a vitamin D supplement, the frigid winter doesn't bother me at all, so I'm going to Vermont to go skiing & I can't wait! Nothing could've sounded worse last week, I was going to cancel & go to Florida instead.

I can't believe what a HUGE difference that Vitamin D made!!!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 07, 2007 01:45AM

If you switch to D2 you might have to take more: twice as much or even more than that (e.g if you are happy with 1000 IU of D3 per day, you might need 2000 IU of D2 per day or even more). If you decide to do this, you can increase bioavailability of your D2 supplement by grinding it in a coffee grinder and taking it with some fat.

I would like to hear about your results. I have tried both, no difference in feeling for me except for the stress related to consuming a fish liver, and no miracles, either. But I probably had a fairly decent D status to begin with.

It's one of those things that you probably need every day in the ideal case. Most of us have dips in the winter but they are avoidable.

Date: February 07, 2007 02:09AM

oh thanks for that info Arugula! so I guess D2 doesn't come from fish- yeah I was pretty grossed out by that but after the 2nd health food store it looked like fish oil was the only option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables