Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

please help! i am a newbie!!!!!!
Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 03, 2007 07:51AM

Hello everyone.............well i am new to the raw food community and i have been reading through posts and was wondering where anyone gets their produce...the fruits that are not the commonly found like oranges apples, kiwis bananas and stuff...where you find young coconuts, durian,and other exotic international produce...please help..i live in san diego area..but i am willing to ship them as well!! any advice for me is greatly appreciated on or off topic smiling smiley
thank you
Sachelle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: please help! i am a newbie!!!!!!
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 03, 2007 09:24AM

You live in San Diego, so I imagine there are Asian and Latin American markets. Must be plenty. Try those.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: red_willow ()
Date: February 03, 2007 04:03PM

You can often buy young coconuts at the grocery store. I know Whole Foods carries them, at least here in L.A.--so I imagine S.D. as well.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 03, 2007 05:10PM

i went and bought coconuts and then i find out YOung coconuts are what i need...not the old ones.now i have these coconuts and i don't want added fat so i will let my grandsons at them.

Date: February 03, 2007 10:00PM

thank you for those of you that have replied...i tried a few asian markets and latin american markets but no such luck...i also tried whole foods and they didn't have them either.....maybe these stores are just out....anyways thank you and keep the tips coming!!!!

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: February 03, 2007 11:53PM

.. "exotic" stuff should only come once in a while, otherwise they won't be exotic anymore.. winking smileywinking smiley

Keeping it plain and simple seems to work best for me..

.. Why the exotic stuff?
smiling smiley
(by the way I've never had young coconut, and, or durian.. yet i don't go around looking for it.. if I'll go to Asia I'll eat them.. they are adjusted to climate, temperature and many other factors, and where they give a BIG power.. on the other side of a world .. "WEEKS" Old, packaged before they are ripe, and tasty, transported miles away from earth, in carton boxes unripe, so they won't get over ripe to soon.. that's not what nature gave(,"constructed"winking smiley for US .. at the moment, at that place..

BUT.. As David Z. says: if it helps You with Your transition MORE POWER TO YOU ! smiling smiley

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Date: February 04, 2007 04:27AM

haha witarianin thank you for that delightful post it brightened my evening...well let me be the first to tell you that you are not missing out on anything with the young coconuts...i bought 4 of them today at a vegan store i found after all that i found it myself haha(but thanks for everyone's help) and i got home so excited took about 10 minutes to pop the top of the coconut and finally when i got it opened and drank the milk i was not impressed...and then everyone rave's about the coconut meat inside...well there was a spoonful of it only haha..i guess it just goes to show everyone's taste is different..i am thinking after i become deeper in my journey and farther down the road and my taste have changed i will love the fresh milk juice...but for now i can pass...but i will be going to ranch 99 market herie n san diego...someone posted they have fresh durian and too many people have marveled at how fantabulous they are!!! i will keep you posted smiling smiley that way you aren't missing out either haha.
thanks again
love
xoxoxoxoxoxo
sachelle

Date: February 04, 2007 12:04PM

smiling smiley

As I said, if I'll find one of them on the ground beneath the tree i'll listen to Nature's call.. smiling smiley
Or before i do That, I'll ask one of "local people" why nobody picked it up , maybe it's old tree with bad tasting nuts/fruits..

I've heard that FRESH, and RIPE, not dehydrated, by weeks of transport, and boxed environment.. are THE BEST Thing.. especially when it's hot and humid..

Story told: other drank COLD Cocacola to quench their thirst, ..do I need to add "one after another", not being able to satiate their need..

My friend had bought a couple of them and have been OK a whole day.. no hunger, no thirst, feelin' good and paid only like a quarter, she saved more than just a couple of bucks , byt had a Great and enjoyable day smiling smiley)

..so i DO Dream of FRESH coconut.. but I don't want to experience 25% of its' true taste.. that will remain, before it gets to my area. smiling smiley)

F.E.A.R. is
Health

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 05, 2007 12:51AM

Witarianin, I noticed that Polish raw food "experts" (I rebel this term, hence the "s, nothing against Polish as you would have guessed smiling smiley, take my name as a hint) recommend eating fruit grown locally. This reminds me of macrobiotics, which has similar recommendations too. I used to believe it until I connected with my tropical frugivorous ancestry he he. Now, nothing beats the tropical fruit. I love all the sweet fruit that grows locally too. Nevertheless, bananas are on my family's daily menu. Mangoes too, and any other tropical fruit that I can afford. Durian is a fortnightly treat. The apricots that I had straight from our tree were the best apricots I ever had. Nothing beats tree-ripened, home-grown stuff. I think that humans were meant to hang from tropical trees not order tropical fruit from far away places. Still, biologically, I think that the tropical fruit it is.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: February 05, 2007 03:06PM

smiling smiley) WELL
I know of "no" Polish raw food experts winking smiley

.Yet i cited Russian HEALTH, or rather HEALING Expert.. Malachow

Macrobiotic.. yes, i have gone through a "macrobiotic" phase..
i did Ayurveda..

ALL of them(there are several more) DO Contain NECESSARY Knowledge for us to understand how different cultures found a way to become in closer harmony with nature..
I Think it IS up to US to analyze and find COMMON, Similar steps, recomendations that regardless whether cooked, raw, at once or separately...

I found GREAT DEAL of inspiration and in dispensable knowledge of NATURE LAWS..

I did say "local" as to coconuts and fact that our friend here (sachellesmiling smiley did not liked how they tasted like..
I believe that they ARE DELICIOUS.. but how many of us here HAVE tried FRESH straight from the tree COCONUTS.. MMMmmmm..

I do thing bananas, and other citrus fruits Are GREAT..

Fut farther away from Jungle we've got, the more we have to be aware that although our body did not have enough time to adjust to eating grains, and less fruit..

IGNORING facts, like temperature, different humidity etc.. can lead to...
Disease, sickness, having "cold" hands, etc..

SO do I think FRESH COCONUTS should be eaten when person lives in USA..?
WELL: Try to eat "fresh grapes" ONLY and live in Russia or up north, in Canada..

Surely eating FRUIT ONLY WILL cause your body to cool down(simple sugars, fructose, glucose, other alcohol like sugars do that)

More citrus fruit could cause body IN Those specific conditions to "freeze", to cool down TO MUCH.

I am not saying fruit should be avoided in certain areas and conditions, only to be AWARE of changing conditions, and EFFECT, that during specific time, or conditions MUST be taken under consideration in order to avoid downsides of Improper Usage of Proper Tools smiling smiley) winking smiley
Cheers Gosia, and All !

F.E.A.R. is
Health

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 05, 2007 06:37PM

WELCOME!!!!

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 05, 2007 11:07PM

You got me, Witarianin, your name sounds like a Polish one he he. I studied Russian for 11 years, but without the practice, the ability to use it evaporates very quickly. Yes, it is interesting that the body temperature on tropical fruit goes down. I simply put more clothes on. But I can see how hard it could be living in a place where it is really cold. Don't they have central heating? In Poland, they do, it makes houses very warm.

I can't ignore my instinct which always tells me to choose sweet fruit, tropical in particular. I would be interested to see whether I can observe any changes in my spontaneous desires if I am in a cold place. But this most likely will not happen any time soon.

As far as coconuts, I have nothing against enjoying thme wherever I live. Unless, of course, I felt that they makes me sick. They never do though.

smiling smiley

Regards,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables