Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions about "overt fat"
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 04, 2007 06:22AM

What is "overt fat?" Is it processed fat like olive oil? And/Or is it the fat you get when you eat nuts, seeds, avocado? Or is it something else?

If nuts/seeds/avocado are overt fats, are those foods out of bounds on 80/10/10, or can you eat small quantities and still have an 80/10/10 ratio?

I haven't received my book yet, and I'm having a little trouble attaining the correct ratio, especially on days when I don't eat greens. On those days, the best I can do is around 80/15/5. I'm sensitive to greens and can only eat them once or twice a week.

What about sprouted nuts/seeds? On a daily basis, I can handle those better than greens. Anyone know of a good website chart that shows the fat content in sprouted and/or soaked nuts/seeds?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2007 06:26AM by suncloud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about "overt fat"
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 04, 2007 11:19PM

Overt fats are foods whose calorie content is dominated by fat. Oils are 100% fat, avocados are 75% fat, nuts and seeds are around 70% fat.

10% is the maximum fat recommended by Graham. However, this may not be possible on day one. For myself, it took me 2 years of eating at 20% fat before my desire fell away effortlessly. For some people, going to 10% fat is no big deal.

If you are going to eat fat, eating the freshest possible fat will be the best choice. Avocados are incredibly fresh. Nuts and seeds on the other hand, are dehydrated and may have been on the shelves for years. Oils are simply empty calories and are better avoided if possible.

If you are eating only non fatty fruits and vegetables, you are eating 5% fat without the overt fats. This means you can eat 5% fats from overt fats and still be under the 10% maximum fat intake. Again, do this if it feels good. If you feel you are denying yourself by eating only 10% fat, back off to a higher fat intake and try again later. I found it easy to start at 20% fat.

Are you sensitive to the mild greens like lettuce and celery? If you find romaine lettuce too bitter, perhaps try organic iceberg lettuce. It is quite sweet and juicy and I like it from time to time. Also, you may find that your sensitivity to greens will change over time. Do play with testing your sensitivity from time to time.

If eating sprouts taste good for you, and you can't eat other greens, then enjoy the sprouts.

Date: February 05, 2007 01:18AM

Hi Bryan,

Thanks so much for answering my questions!

I've been trying to reduce the amount of fat I eat, because I do feel better when I eat less fat. Right now I'm usually at around 20% - 25% fat. I think I could bring that down by sprouting all my nuts/seeds. As you say, they are dehydrated(unless they're sprouted), and that can't be so good.

I love romaine and celery and all the lettuces and greens, including the more bitter ones like red leaf lettuce. But I'm sensitive to all of them. Once or twice a week I can handle. On days without the greens though, on just fruit and nuts/seeds, it seems really difficult to get the 80/10/10 ratio. My protein percent is too low (about 5%), and my fat percent is too high. If I try to take down my fat percent by eating less fat or more fruit, either way, the protein percent goes down further. So it's a bit of a dilemma for me. I'm hoping that sprouting the nuts/seeds will help.

Maybe eating the sprouts will even help me work into eating more greens. I've never tried that before.

On the days I eat greens, it's a lot easier to get to 80/10/10.

I'd given up eating sunflower seeds so I could lower my fat intake, but I recently noticed that without the sunflower seeds, my vitamin E intake was VERY VERY low. The bulk hulled sunflower seeds sprout pretty well. It's good to hear that I can have some sprouted sunflower seeds even on 80/10/10.

Thanks again for your encouraging answers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2007 01:21AM by suncloud.

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: February 05, 2007 02:31AM

bryan
do you think raw tahini is a good/fresh source of fat....i like making dressings from it....mixed with oranges or other fruit...yet then i don't add the avocado in the salad....cause that would be way over 10%

Date: February 05, 2007 03:07AM

Why not use fresh sesame seeds? What I do is grind up my sesame seeds in a coffee grinder (though nowadays I have a Tribest personal blender) and use the ground sesame to make my dressings. The sesames gets really thick and almost tahini-like with the coffee grinder. This is much fresher and has a lesser chance of rancidity than store bought tahini.

That being said, tahini is a better option that oils.

Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 05, 2007 10:07PM

Bryan Wrote:

> If you are eating only non fatty fruits and
> vegetables, you are eating 5% fat without the
> overt fats.

Is that 5% based on calories?

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Posted by: tristani ()
Date: February 05, 2007 10:45PM

if being the "raw" way of eating means fruits, veggies, and nuts, how can one feel full without enough protein. also, eating all that fiber causes bloating. any remedy suggestions for bloating and feeling full without alot of fat?

Date: February 06, 2007 02:15AM

greenman,

Yes, that is a percentage of calories. If you use the nutritional calculators like fitday/nutritiondata/nutridiary/chronometer, you can find the fat percentages in common fruits and vegetables.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: October 08, 2014 02:23PM

"Overt fats are foods whose calorie content is dominated by fat. Oils are 100% fat, avocados are 75% fat, nuts and seeds are around 70% fat. "

"10% is the maximum fat recommended by Graham. "

While a low-fat raw vegan diet is totally healthy, a fat-free diet is totally not.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 08, 2014 04:54PM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is "overt fat?" Is it processed fat like
> olive oil? And/Or is it the fat you get when you
> eat nuts, seeds, avocado? Or is it something
> else?
>
> If nuts/seeds/avocado are overt fats, are those
> foods out of bounds on 80/10/10, or can you eat
> small quantities and still have an 80/10/10
> ratio?
>
> I haven't received my book yet, and I'm having a
> little trouble attaining the correct ratio,
> especially on days when I don't eat greens. On
> those days, the best I can do is around 80/15/5.
> I'm sensitive to greens and can only eat them once
> or twice a week.
>
> What about sprouted nuts/seeds? On a daily basis,
> I can handle those better than greens. Anyone
> know of a good website chart that shows the fat
> content in sprouted and/or soaked nuts/seeds?

I have read the book more than once and those foods we associate as being predominatly fatty foods (although we associate nuts and seeds with protein as well) would qualify. I have heard that some of these people eat higher percentages of fats on some days than others and that overall it comes out to 10%.

Are you saying that soaked nuts have a changed fat content? I am sure everyone is different in what they can handle...

Date: October 08, 2014 05:21PM

Hi Banana,

This thread is so old, and was written when I thought I'd attempt to give 80/10/10 a good try. Didn't work well for me, and I think my second post above may indicate a few of the reasons.

My understanding is that sprouted seeds do have a lower fat content, depending on how long they've been sprouting.

I really don't know about soaked nuts.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: October 08, 2014 06:30PM

To me it is acceptable and good to eat nuts and seeds but drinking coconut oil or olive oil as fat source does not make sense.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 08, 2014 07:35PM

CommonSenseRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To me it is acceptable and good to eat nuts and
> seeds but drinking coconut oil or olive oil as fat
> source does not make sense.

You have to get over the dogma.. these are healthy additions to the diet in moderation and assuming you are using raw, stone-cold or extra-virgin oils. Gabriel Cousens, Brian Clement, and David Wolfe all use oils and there's lots of science to back up the use of them.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 08, 2014 08:04PM

Oh so 80 10 10 is about cutting up the ratio, for each food item as well ( I thought it was your total intake all day long) and calculating the percentage within the avocado itself too?

That is complicated, a diet for mathematician geniuses.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 08, 2014 10:39PM

CC, as I understand it, they calculate calories from fat during a day. So if an 811-er consumes 2500 calories per day, combined overt and covert fats shall not exceed 250 calories, which is just above 1 oz. of nuts. Very small amount of fat. I didn't get what you meant about ratio within foods. They will look at the amount of fat within a fig or coconut to get how many fat calories it is, but that goes without saying...

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: October 09, 2014 10:44AM

You must take into account the fact that "no overt fats" doesn't mean "fat free". You still have the covert fats which represent 10% of the diet. So there are still fats in the diet, which would qualify it as a low fat diet. So even with only fruits and veggies, you still have fats in the diet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2014 10:48AM by Ela2013.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 09, 2014 10:58AM

"Overt fats are obvious fats and covert fats are hidden fats. Overt fats include nuts, seeds, avocados, and the like. Covert fats are the fats contained in sweet/sour fruits, melons, leafy greens, etc. -- not so obvious, and in much smaller amounts, but they are in there"

So we are all fats eaters.
Fats are everywhere, oils may not be necessary.

It is like when the SAD eaters ask the raw foodist, where do you get your protein.
Every food has it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2014 11:02AM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables