Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fasting
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 05, 2007 09:24AM

hi everyone! i was wondering if any of you know what kinds of fasting there is to choose from.what is the point of fasting?my thoughts from what i gather is to clean out my system.if I wanted to go on a few days of fasting...Do i just not eat or is there fasting where u eat?I wondered what kind of fasts everyone has been on and the benefits and any tips you may offer would be greatly appreciated.thanks so much-taylor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fasting
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: February 05, 2007 10:25AM

Fasting usually means NOT eating anything, just drinking juices. The basic theory is that by shutting the digestive system down, your body spends all that energy on "healing" and "cleansing".

This is a great site with lots of info -
[www.freedomyou.com]

I like The Master Cleanse or "Lemonade Diet" just because it's easy and you don't have to wash vegetables and clean a juicer everyday. You have to use Maple Syrup though which isn't raw.

[therawfoodsite.com]

Date: February 05, 2007 10:36AM

thank u so much LikeItOrNot!!I have a tendency toward h.b.p.-so i do not know if the salt flush goes with the master cleanse.thanks for the good site.taylor

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 05, 2007 11:41AM

Sure. Your basic simple fasts are (in order of difficulty)

1) Mono-eating just one thing (like grapes or oranges) for 1 or more days.
2) Juice fasting for 1 or more days
3) Water fasting for 1 or more days

-Only fast if you are SURE you are giving a loving gift to yourself. And never fast too far beyond where you are very comfortable fasting in the past. And listen closely to your body.....so that if your detox is too unpleasant or compulsive....that you know when to re-feed and re-build.

-Just my opinions.

-David Z. Mason

Date: February 05, 2007 12:00PM

thanks so much David,I did not want anything too drastic.I read one detox or fast of where u eat nothing but apples for 2 days.I guess there is alot of ideas.I was looking at the colon cleanse options but some of that is too drastic and i saw somewhere where one kit u could buy was 150$.crazy.So i just want a simple one.I have not really experienced any detox symptons...only when i quit coffee.I tried to avoid it by drinking a little less coffee each day and then none.I got a headache for an afternoon.thats all.ok! good plan.thanks again! taylor

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 05, 2007 12:59PM

LikeItOrNot said:

"Fasting usually means NOT eating anything,"

I agree. Though there are many kinds of "fasts" my understanding of the word means to abstain from everything but water. I think it's only in more recent years that the meaning of the word has broadened substantially. And David says that even eating can be fasting. To me, these are all cleanses.

LikeItOrNot also said:

"The basic theory is that by shutting the digestive system down, your body spends all that energy on "healing" and "cleansing".

Again, I agree. But if you're going to put anything but water into your mouth, your digestive system isn't going to shut down. I've done some fasting, and some cleanses. They're both good in that they give you're digestive system a rest, and the chance for you to heal and cleanse.

I realize my response opens the door for arguing about the meaning of the word fast. I hope it doesn't come to argument.

You want something cheap? Do a water fast for a day or two to see how it feels. Any longer than a three day fast, they say, and you should do it only under the supervision of an experienced fasting coach.

Ease into it by eating lightly and simply the day before and the day after. Also get plenty of sleep, and focus on positive emotions and anything positive. My suggestion is to not ignore anything negative just don't dwell on it at a time when you want to heal. Negativity is destructive.

Enjoy it.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: February 05, 2007 11:18PM

thanks so much everyone for your input...very valuable to me.thanks again taylor

Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 05, 2007 11:56PM

Did anyone get heavier after their fast?

Date: February 06, 2007 12:01AM

agh! now i am scared!! have you SiennalnLondon? thanks taylor

Date: February 06, 2007 12:13AM

Well I have always been underweight naturally. About 54kg at 174cms. I lost a couple of kilos from excercising a HELL of a lot and trying really hard to be strict. It took me a LOT of time to lose that weight. My target weight is 48kg (for modelling. I want to do runway instead of just print work. But as I am designed on the thin side, I don't think it will be too unhealthy). But after fasting, I went back up to 54kg. NOT good after a whole year of pounding the treadmill. Now I am on a three day green juice fast (which I have finished) and just started the 10 day master cleanse. If this fast makes me go put on weight, that is IT for fasting for me for life. (detox here and there aside).

Apparently fasting makes you go to your ideal weight which is why it often makes underweight people put on weight. I am sorry but I like being able to be underweight so easily.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 06, 2007 03:03AM

SennaInLondon, you WANT to be UNDERweight? You seem to realize that your ideal weight is unhealthy. You want to be a runway model that badly?

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: February 06, 2007 01:51PM

I am NATURALLY underweight. I want to lose a little more for the next 5 or so years, then I don't care.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables