Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Book Recommendations
Posted by: Devric ()
Date: February 06, 2007 01:47AM

Hello everyone. New poster from the frigid post-industrial wasteland called Ohio. I love studying nutrition and raw foods in particular. However, I can't find any raw books in my public library and don't want to waste my money on tripe. I'm hoping that all of you can tell me what you consider to be the most crucial book(s) for a raw foodist to read and why they'd be of help to someone starting a raw adventure. Obviously, the more scientifically sound and thoroughly researched/documented texts are preferred. Perhaps there are even books that you'd like to recommend for inspiration that are not directly on the subject of raw food. Thanks for your help. Peace.

Devric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Book Recommendations
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2007 01:57AM

Enzyme nutrition
[www.amazon.com]
It explains in scientific terms why we need raw food.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 06, 2007 02:02AM

Well if you want scientifically sound and thoroughly researched then Gabriel Cousens' Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine is a must-read. He went to Columbia University medical school before, then dumped conventional medicine in favor of a whole-body approach. His level of knowledge and meticulous research is quite impressive.

And before the inevitable backlash here about the insanity of the Phase 1 diet, let's remember that it is a TRANSITION diet, only meant to be followed until one's candida problem goes away, then you move onto your lifetime diet of fruit.

Posted by: Cecilia ()
Date: February 06, 2007 02:06AM

Hi There,
I would also recommend "Conscious Eating" by Gabriel Cousens. I second what sunshine79 says, I think Gabriel Cousens does a lot of great research on the raw foods diet and is scientifically oriented.
Best Wishes,
C

Get Your Free Raw Food Starter Guide E-Book at:
[www.rawglow.com]

Find Your Inner Glow!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 06, 2007 02:12AM

I highly recommend "The 80/10/10 Diet". You can read some excepts in this thread.

Date: February 06, 2007 02:37AM

Hey Devric... my husband is from Cleveland, OH. Your description of Ohio cracks me up (mainly because its so darn accurate!)

I agree with sunshine79 and Cecilia's recommendations to read Gabriel Cousens books. I have found them to be well written and very thorough.

Posted by: Devric ()
Date: February 06, 2007 04:35AM

Thanks for the recommendations. I just read an article by Cousens where he suggests that we take B-12 supplements. Do you take supplements? Who makes them?

[www.fruitnut.net]

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 06, 2007 04:41AM

"In one study of adults in 1994, 81% of the vegan adults had a B-12 lower than 200 pg. That is approximately the percentage of adults on a live food diet who are low in B-12."

This is a false statement.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 06, 2007 04:44AM

Furhman's "Eat to Live" is well researched. He doesn't advocate 100% raw, though. It's not very touchy-feely but it's fairly accurate.

Methylcobalamin is better than cyanocobalamin. Read the labels, excipients are minimal in some products. I take one from NOW foods, 1000 mcg methylcobalamin tablets. I cut it into 1/8ths and take it once a week. I also take 1000 IU D2 every day because I don't deliberately sun.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 06, 2007 08:51PM

arugula what's the difference between vitamin D2 & D3?

I got the D3 and it's working great I'm just wondering if I should be taking both or what?

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: February 06, 2007 09:08PM

Here's more info [en.wikipedia.org].

Vitamin D3 is alleged to be more "powerful" than D2, although I beleive it is not suitable for vegans.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 06, 2007 10:45PM

Thanks Jose, yes, it's probably true that D3 is more powerfully protective than D2. They probably don't have the same action spectrum. D2 doesn't work for people with cystic fibrosis.

There are many studies suggesting lower potency for D2 which might be related to lower bioavailability of forms (D2 is usually marketed as a dry tablet, D3 as an oil in a gelcap) but there are other problems, too, and some problems with the assays: not all tests are detecting D2 very well.

Some researchers don't think D2 should "count" as a D vitamin. But this is controversial, and D3 comes from fish livers, which is why I am still taking D2.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 06, 2007 10:48PM

all of them have something good in them

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: February 07, 2007 05:47AM

i think leslie kenton's books are great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables