Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw and other people
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 06, 2007 02:02AM

Do you live with others(family, friends)? Do you find it hard following your raw diet living with them? I do, if I lived alone my raw mission would probably be more successful. The people I live with bring junk food into the house, and cook food. If I live alone, it won't exist in the house because I won't buy it and cooking never appealed to me even before raw. When junk and cooked food is available it is very tempting to binge on it. To be successful on raw, one needs to separate themselves from old ill habits and the environment that encouraged ill habits. Unforunately living in an environment that encourages my old habits sucks.

So, is it easier being raw if you lived alone for you than with others?

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw and other people
Date: February 06, 2007 02:13AM

I think a lot of things in general are easier when you are by yourself and do not have to be concerned with other opinions, lifestyles etc... but I also think that success could depend on the type of people you live with.

I am married and my husband is not raw though he has no problem eating the raw meals I make and respects my food choices. I, in turn, respect his food choices and when he occasionally requests a cooked dish, I have no problem making it for him. If this mutual respect didn't exist in our relationship, I don't think it would be such a harmonious environment though lol.

Do you live with your family or with roommates/friends?

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 06, 2007 02:21AM

I had to stay with family tempararily, and they, nor I, had a problem with it, and they had fun with the green smoothies (my brother was not into it, but who cares). Raw has not isolated me or been a problem.... wouldn't marry or have a serious relationship with an unhealthy person ... so far, my bf's make raw meals for me.. ;D and it is fun and it teaches them to be healthier.

Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 06, 2007 02:25AM

TheCoconutChronicles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think a lot of things in general are easier when
> you are by yourself and do not have to be
> concerned with other opinions, lifestyles etc...
> but I also think that success could depend on the
> type of people you live with.

Very true.

By the way, I live with my family because as a student it is too expensive to go out on your own. But, in the near future I see myself moving out to somewhere in the country.

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 06, 2007 02:49AM

oh man! i know what you mean.tonite my daughter came over with chinese food which i use to adore.i was dishing it up for everyone and man!!! i knewif i just nibbled one bite-i would stampede the table and everyone and it would be all over.so i did not.i was interested to see that the lttle 4 yr old only wanted nammy to peel mangos for him to eat.he ate 3 mangos by himself.so cute.anyway-wow! it's hard.i agree.taylor

Date: February 06, 2007 03:12AM

greenman - I hear ya loud and clear... every thing's expensive when you are a student... I don't miss those days much lol.

How does your family feel about your raw lifestyle? What opinions or concerns have they voiced, if any?

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: February 06, 2007 03:28AM

Taylor,
Amazing self restraint.Don't know if I would have been able to do that my self.That's why I try not be around any cooked food if I can help it. I keep an eye out for the triggers and plan accordingly.
Brian

Date: February 06, 2007 03:33AM

thanks brian 1cs-i just don't want to partake and relapse into the diet that made me so sick.I want to get old-fighting and not going down easy.yeah-thatis a good plan to not be around it.I have to also cook for everyone.i have been trying to pt more raw stuffs on the table.taylor

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 06, 2007 03:35AM

We just had to throw all the cooked foods out of the house. Even the stove. Yep, it does help.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2007 03:35AM by rawgosia.

Date: February 06, 2007 03:38AM

"I have to also cook for everyone.i have been trying to pt more raw stuffs on the table.taylor"

Taylor, your family is blessed to have you!

Date: February 06, 2007 03:41AM

gosia-even your stove?wow!that is dedication for sure.i wish everyone was raw in my family-at least my hubby.all i can do is gentle and introduce things to help introduce.but i admire your dedication.thats what it takes.taylor

Date: February 06, 2007 03:43AM

Goshia, did you throw your stove out?! That's radical & funny! Love it!

I have pretty metal covers on my stove, over each burner. It helps.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: February 06, 2007 04:09AM

Gosia, I'm so jealous, if I didn't rent a place that comes with a stove, I wouldn't have one either. I think my landlord might be upset if he found the stove missing...

I'd much prefer to this rather than a stove:
[www.sausagemaker.com]

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 06, 2007 04:28AM

Well, to be exact, it is in the shed. Just in case we ever decide to sell the house, so that we do not have to buy one! We would have to hire an electrician to connect it first though.

It does help if everyone in the family is raw. In my family, it was a gradual transition. Me first, my husband a couple of months after me, kids took a bit longer (because I was scared of doing something wrong).

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: February 06, 2007 04:41AM

I live with my husband. We moved into a new house... complete without appliances in September - 4 months after discovering raw food, cleaning out our cupboards, and making an overnight transition. We bought all the standard appliances with the exception of a stove. My in-laws were shocked!! Worried what I am doing to there son... but he partakes joyfully. I don't find it hard to be around non-raw foodies -- there 'food' doesn't even look like food to me. Just like being a vegan or vegetarian, you'd look at a big mac and feel no desire whatsoever to eat it. My husband on the otherhand, caves in to temptation nearly every chance he gets. He's at 19 days without cheating now... so here's hoping it will stick!!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 06, 2007 04:47AM

One of the turning points in my raw journey was giving away my pots and pans and cooking utensils. At some point I realized I wasn't going to be using these things any time soon, and I figured that if I were to start eating cooked food again, I could always buy a new set.

Date: February 06, 2007 09:51AM

wow! Ian-i never saw a food dryer like that one! the cadillac of food dryers!! pretty fancy.well-i love my stove and pots and pans.i cook for everyone.but i also use my stove to heat water for a big bowl of hot water that is steaming and i put my face over the bowl with a towel for times we have colds/or to heat up water to soak feet in for whatever reason.I boil water and add orange peels and cinnamon for my air freshener.but i never have even thought of not having a stove.i admire that dedication.taylor

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: February 06, 2007 06:57PM

It was easier to live alone and have total control over what is in the fridge, a LOT easier. I am the only raw eater in the family. While my husband will eat one raw meal a day no probs, still he loves eating out and also pizza etc to take home. Yesterday I covered up that Veggie-Lover's Pizza from Pizza Hut by placing my largest salad bowl filled with bell pepper and cucumber on top of it. I smushed it but it was for a good cause.

Posted by: tristani ()
Date: February 06, 2007 08:22PM

hello greenman, i know what you're feeling. my husband and kids aren't raw eaters and i have to cook for them everyday. it's very hard. i'm like taylor; if i take a bite of cooked food, i usually eat the whole entree, including the table. it's hard to have will power like that to stop yourself but the first few times you can do it, it becomes a little easier times after that.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 06, 2007 09:27PM

I live with my husband - standard american diet - I call him SAD guy!

I don't cook anything any more - except to heat some soup from time to time - being careful not to heat too much. If I'm organized, I sometimes just set a bowl of soup in my dehydrator for later when I'm hungry - especially if it's already running in order to dry something else.

Yes, I agree, it is much easier to not have tempting foods around. There's always that old lethal combination when you have the urge and the opportunity at the same time. However, having said that - you can't protect yourself from every situation where that combination might crop up.

My best advice is to fall utterly, madly, completely in LOVE with green, crisp, fresh, vibrant, organic (as much as possible), colorful, nutritious, raw, sweet, juicy, alive foods! Then the greatest thing happens - you are no longer tempted to make unhealth choices for yourself. Being pro-life toward yourself just feels too good to go back!

Keep doing your best and don't beat up on yourself or think that just because you've struggled that you can't do this. The Universe is set up to support our existence and you have all you need within you do make healthy choices! Take baby steps and you'll get there. Just hang in there and junk food will truly become junk food to you. Congrats and much success on your journey!!!!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: February 06, 2007 10:00PM

I also threw out my stove when I moved house over a year ago. The pots and pans went long before that. There's just me and and my two kids who both eat raw as well in the house, so that makes it easy. Although I have to say that I'm not in the least bit tempted by cooked food anymore. My youngest son, who'll be 10 next week has no problem staying raw amongst his SAD schoolmates. The eldest, who is 16, finds it harder and can't say no to crisps at school. He finds it hard to be the odd one out at his age. At home and during the holidays he stays raw without any problems.

Love, francis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables