Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

This is a rant
Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: February 07, 2007 05:08PM

Okay, does anyone else get TOTALLY annoyed when you're drinking a green smoothie and someone asks, "what IS that?!" I'm all for educating people, but for some reason I HATE being questioned about my food. I'm always tempted to make a snotty remark such as "It's REAL food, unlike what you're eating," or "It's this revolutionary new product called FRESH FOOD...try it sometime." I don't know why I get so hostile! It's quite funny, actually. I could go on about how health care wouldn't be in the sad state it is if people would actually take care of themselves, but that's another rant altogether winking smiley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This is a rant
Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 07, 2007 06:27PM

Not really! I like the attention but then I'm an attention whore! Also I know how much extreme raw/veggie people pissed me off with their extremism so I don't really get angry. I like hearing both sides of the story. I am not anti-SAD at all. I just do what I need to do for my ends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2007 06:27PM by SiennaInLondon.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: February 07, 2007 07:44PM

I used to feel on the spot at first when teased, but now when I get the "what's that" question by people who tend to be cynical, I'm proactive and come up with some of the more sarcastic comments used by others about my drink, i.e.

"I know it looks like sewer water, but guess what, it's not and furthermore it's full of the nutrients from vegetables that your body needs."

Statements like those deflates further negative comments and usually opens the way for questions about the actual ingredients and usually a discussion about incorporating more vegetables in their diet, along with a compliment about my healthy eating.

If 'what's that'? comes from genuinely curious people, then I give a straightforward answer on what is in it.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 07, 2007 07:50PM

In my experience, such people

1. Are just being friendly
2. Are interested in what you eat, your lifestyle, just curious or just wanna learn.

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 07, 2007 08:01PM

I just got back from a local Publix (strawberries on sale), it's the one in town I call Osteoporosis City because it's mostly the geriatric set goes there.

I can tell you this: osteoporosis is not just a female thing. I saw all these bent-over men and women with their obligatory 5-7 f+v and also their grains and their meats and their processed foods and whatever.

Clearly 5-7 does not do a darned thing. It takes more than that. We must go further. There is going to be a lot of resistance along the way.

Some people *think* that they'd rather get sick and frail before their alloted time because they want the freedom to eat garbage. So be it. But even when they meet the government recs, they still don't do that well, because the government recs don't go far enough.

It's ironic that anyone would get flak for an outstanding diet. But we are going against the grain, both literally and figuratively, and it's going to take a while for these currently "extreme" ideas to make it to the mainstream.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 07, 2007 08:14PM

I am usually the most fit, by far, person in the crowd. Let them critisize. I think it is because they are feeling inadequate with their own health. Poor, SAD people. You could always say "I am preparing to climb mountains at 60 with my grandchildren?"

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 07, 2007 08:42PM

After being vegan for 16 years and raw for two, I still have to work at not having a negative reaction toward people who make fun of my lifestyle.

With my family I usually laugh and tell them they'll be glad that I'm around to take care of their sorry asses when they've ruined their health! I tell my sister that I'm going to be real mean to her!!!

With close friends - I usually make a teasing (but true) comment back to them about how really weird all my healthy, green, organic, living food is and aren't they lucky to be eating putrifying flesh of a murdered animal cooked in animal secretions!!

Actually - in my heart of hearts - I know that deep inside every person is a desire to be healthy and happy and to be making pro-self choices. Anyone who asks a lot of questions is interested and although they may claim to think it's nuts - I guarantee that they go home and think about it. Anyone who is critical and angry is actually just more fearful than most - fearful of change, fearful of having anything taken away from them, wanting to stick their head in the sand and not hear the truth, etc.

I feel that it's our responsability as raw vegans to be healthy and happy - we can influence others better with our positive vibes that we can with our anger. We owe it to ourselves to try to "rise above" others attitudes and remember that it's not "personal". Whatever they say is just a statement about themselves and where they are on their journey.

Having said all that - yeh, it's still hard sometimes.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 07, 2007 09:14PM

Very well said alive!!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 07, 2007 10:15PM

I usually just describe the fabulous, delicious fresh taste of whatever I'm eating. I never realized I did this but my ex-boyfriend one day told me he had taken up eating red bell peppers like an apple, like I used to do, because I made them sound so delicious & spectacular that he eventually had to try them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2007 10:16PM by sunshine79.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 07, 2007 11:11PM

"It's this revolutionary new product called FRESH FOOD" lol!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: February 08, 2007 12:50AM

Oh god. I was at a raw food cafe by me and was drinking an aloe, MSM, spirulina, irish moss and oj juice. It was completely green. A couple of guido cops walked in (pardon the label--but they definitly fit the stereotype of typical Queens/brooklyn italian). I wasn't sure how they had wandered in there but one of them gave me a disgusted look and said "that's not that wheat-grass stuff is it?" I told him that not many people can drink 16 ounces of wheat-grass but I offered them a sip. Of course they he said no thanks. It tasted just like oj..he might have liked it.

I really don't mind people expressing an interest in the stuff I eat. It's the people who try to tell that I am anorexic or not eating normal that I have issues with.

Posted by: esisser ()
Date: February 08, 2007 02:28AM

A doctor walked into the hospital and saw all of the sick patients. Someone came up to the doctor and said, "Whats wrong with you? You're so uptight with all of your fancy wardrobes and oh, how you spend so much time washing your hands three times before you perform an operation! Plus, you're always preaching 'diet, exercise, love, blah, bah, blah!'"

The doctor paused for a moment and thought about how to react:

Option 1: He could say, "Look who's talking! Who's the one in this hospital as a PATIENT anyway? And look at the crap you eat - pathetic! Do I have to go on?!" The patient's self-worth will automatically diminish, even if the doctor is right.

Option 2: The doctor can have patience (no pun intended ;-) ) and understand that because he has the knowledge of how to live a healthful life, and has even experienced it, he has the responsibility/duty of setting an example to the patient as to how to live a holistically healthy life (not just with regards to diet, but with social interactions, emotional control, compassion, etc.). With this in mind, the doctor will get a feel for whether or not the patient is open to some new ideas, and the doctor will also take into consideration what the patient truly needs to hear at the present moment.

With love, Ethan

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 08, 2007 02:33AM

i would love it.i would tell them how raw foods has changed my health and i feel so much better.i think it is fascinating to think greens have more calcium than milk.i have had that kind of thing in my church so much.Where a vegetarian thinks they have it over a meat eater and they bring them to there house and gloat over how pure they are compared to the meat eater and then the vegan is all smug and then the pure-ist is all smug.Now i am well grounded in not even caring.my health is better.so i would love to share with them the weight loss and the feeling better.at least plant some seeds of helpful thoughts.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: February 08, 2007 02:40AM

My parents asked me when I first started making green smoothies. My dad thought they looked disgusting! I just laughed and told him what was in them, why I drink them, and that was pretty much it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables