Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

This is another topic I'm quite surprised seeing on...
Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: February 07, 2007 08:58PM

Here. [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Especially from those who know a lot.

What about Green peppers, Red peppers? Some people can't eat these because they're on the hot side. If one can eat green or red pepper then why not a Jalapeño pepper? They’re both from the same family.

What about green onions?
What about radishes? These are hot, doesn't easily digest.
What Ginger root? Again, very hot and sharp tasting.

What about the seeds in Apples? There's links out there that claim that apple seeds have a form of poison.
What about the leaf on Celery? There's links out there that claiming that the leaf of Celery is poisonous.
What about tomatoes, nightshades anyone?
What about Goitrogenic foods (kale, broccoli, etc.)?
There's links for all these claims.............

This is another topic that really puzzles and surprises me.
Actually doesn’t puzzle me, more like if you make this claim then I’m going to throw the gamut on most other foods.

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2007 09:00PM by rawdev.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This is another topic I'm quite surprised seeing on...
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 07, 2007 09:40PM

I eat all those things. I am not particularly moved to eliminate them because of what some people here think about them. The difference between a poison and a cure is often in the dose and that's just another reason why variety is protective.

Just about all plants have antinutrients and natural carcinogens as well as a host of beneficial phytochemicals for resistance to UV radiation and environmental damages, etc, only a small fraction of which have been studied or even named. They have developed exquisite defenses because they can't run from predators.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 07, 2007 10:17PM

Hey, this is a whole lot of questions! smiling smiley

In my first year of raw I was very puzzled too by all those ridiculous claims about garlic, spices etc. I even argued with Bryan that I will eat garlic, because I like it and that's that. And, being an intelligent person, I had an array of perfectly logical argument to support my desires for garlic. Guess what, after a few years, I don't like it anymore he he! I can sense that garlic aggrivates me. My husband Luke has had the same experience. Sensitivity (the ability to distiguish healthy from unhealthy) on raw grows as you go. In the meantime, why not enjoy the journey?

Fruitfully,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: No5 ()
Date: February 07, 2007 10:37PM

Another example is buckwheat greens. High quantities can induce sensitivity to sunlight. If you were to eliminate all of the foods that have ever been associated with some sort of negative effect then you would starve.

Humans have a tendency to intellectualize the world into little boxes that are labeled "good" and "bad". We seek the perfect food that is singularly sufficient for health and that can always be consumed for this purpose. That perspective conflicts with reality.

Every food has both good and bad aspects. And these aspects are not always evident. They may depend on circumstances such as the quantity consumed, the form of consumption, the regularity of consumption, the interaction with other consumed foods, the biological terrain of the consumer, and so forth.

Perhaps we should learn from nature's paradigm instead of foolishly trying to hammer square pegs into circular holes. Nature teaches balance. Dividing the world into "good" and "bad" is the definition of extremes and it is never the full truth.

It is ultimately a problem of reductionism. Is garlic itself fundamentally bad because it contains allicin which is a known toxin? As you have pointed out almost all foods have some level of toxicity. Is garlic itself fundamentally good because it has antibiotic properties?

The question is whether or not your particular use of a food given your particular biological situation promotes vitality and balance or not. The world isn't black and white. It is a continuum. The intellectual mind hates that but the intellectual mind is under your control.

"Be like water." - Bruce Lee

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 07, 2007 10:40PM

I put a little habanero pepper in my cherry smoothie this morning, MMMM

I love tomatoes, I mix them with avocados, love to blend tomatoes with cucumbers for soup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2007 10:41PM by coconutcream.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: February 08, 2007 12:00AM

But everything that was posted about onion & garlic
can be said about peppers? And we all know
peppers are fruit.
Eat a clove of garlic burns the throat/stomach, possible
indigestion.
Eat a piece of red/green/jalepeno/serrano/harbenro pepper
same conseqeunces.

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 08, 2007 01:08AM

Green peppers, Red peppers are sweat, well to me. Maybe you have a different variety.

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 08, 2007 01:25AM

rawdev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here.
> [www.rawfoodsupport.com]
>
> Especially from those who know a lot.
>
> What about Green peppers, Red peppers? Some people
> can't eat these because they're on the hot side.
> If one can eat green or red pepper then why not a
> Jalapeño pepper? They’re both from the same
> family.

I just did some research and they are not from the same family.

"Bell peppers are not 'hot'. They contain a recessive gene that eliminates capsaisin, the compound responsible for the 'hotness' found in other peppers."

[www.whfoods.com]

> What about the seeds in Apples? There's links out
> there that claim that apple seeds have a form of
> poison.

Why would you eat apple seeds anyways? They are not meant to be eaten.

> What about tomatoes, nightshades anyone?

"Green Tomatoes have this toxin, glycoalkaloids. These toxins cause them to have a bitter taste to be unappealing for consumption. Although a delicious southern food (fried green Tomatoes), we should not consume green Tomatoes. And never eat the leaves or stems of Tomatoes.

Eggplant and Peppers should be ripe to avoid the toxin. That means no green Peppers and no green Eggplant. Green Peppers, though common, are actually just immature. When allowed to ripen they will turn a glorious red or yellow or orange or even purple. Green Peppers have a distinctive and strong flavor, not at all like the mature fruit which is sweet. There is, however, a variety of green pepper that is ripe when green. This is not the variety commonly found. The ones you find in most restaurants and grocery stores are red bells that are harvested at the unripe green stage."
[www.deliciousorganics.com]

> What about Goitrogenic foods (kale, broccoli,
> etc.)?

Unless you have thyroid problems, foods containing goitrogens should be safe to eat.

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2007 01:26AM by greenman.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 08, 2007 04:31AM

Hey rawdev and greenman,

I kind of like the apple seeds myself. I would eat more of them except one of my dogs likes apple cores so much, it's the only thing she'll scratch on the door for. She can always tell from outside if there's an apple core around. The uneaten whole apples don't attract her - just the core with the seeds.

SOOOO.....I'm curious. What's wrong with apple seeds?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 08, 2007 09:21AM

I used to have a cat that went crazy for papaya seeds.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 08, 2007 11:31AM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SOOOO.....I'm curious. What's wrong with apple
> seeds?

Well, they have a form of cyanide in them... but some say that in the amounts found in seeds (very small) it is beneficial for us, and actucally helps prevent cancer. Do some searching on B17.

When I eat an apple, I eat everything, core and seeds included, have been doing this for over a year and I'm still healthy ;-)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 09, 2007 02:25AM

Green Bell peppers are unripe red or orange bell peppers. I avoid the green ones because they taste funny to me. However, I love the ripe red and orange bell peppers.

One thing to consider when eating a food that has medicinal qualities. The only difference between a medicine and a poison is the dosage. So if the dosage of a medicinal food is too high, it becomes a poison. For many foods, the poisonous quantity is less than a full belly, in fact, can be less that half or even a quarter of a full belly of that food.

So foods that are toxic in this fashion, that need to be eaten in pretty extreme moderation, are probably best avoided.

The healthy foods, like fruits and vegetables, ought to be eaten in moderation (like half belly to full belly).

However, if these medicinal foods help you stay raw, or you really like them right now, then don't worry, just eat them. At some point, if you stay raw long enough, your body will tell you to quit eating them, and they will fall away effortlessly.

I used to eat apples and their seeds. At some point, it didn't feel good to eat the seeds, so then I just ate the flesh. Nowadays, apples don't feel good to me at all (although I like the taste of them), so I eat them very infrequently.

Any food that taste bitter is a reflection of some toxin in the food. Celery leaves are bitter, so they might be slightly toxic. I am not drawn to eat them.

I have mono eaten tomatoes without problems. On an empty stomach, eating tomatoes until I am full. I am pretty confident that they are quite safe for me.

The goitrogenic foods, eat them if they feel good, and let them go when they don't.

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: February 09, 2007 12:50PM

Bryan,

Is it hard to avoid genetically-modified tomatoes?

BTW, did you see my pm?

All the best,
wong

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables