Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Juicers, what do you own?
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 07, 2007 11:24PM

I am thinking of buying one, what do you recommend?

I have my eye on the omega model 8003 nutrition center. Do you own one
of these, if so how do you like it and your experience with it?

[www.omegajuicers.com]

It costs 259 from their website
It costs 229 from [www.discountjuicers.com]

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicers, what do you own?
Date: February 07, 2007 11:27PM

I like the Green Star 3000

[www.greenstar.com]

I should add here that green stars are ridiculously expensive and if I hadn't inherited mine from my step mother who likes to buy (i.e. collect and never use) every gadget under the sun I would have definitely gone with something more cost effective!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2007 11:38PM by TheCoconutChronicles.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 07, 2007 11:30PM

I have a waring pro. It is well made, stainless steel and was very affordable. It is best for hard vegetables but I use it for collards, which I get for about $0.20/lb. I drink the juice and use the pulp in the doggie breakfast.

It will not do soft fruits very well, or citrus.

I am not a juice fan, but I have been using it lately, gulping down about 1.5 cups of collard+celery+cuke+carrot or sweet potato+ a small portion of apple in the AM on my way out the door.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 07, 2007 11:37PM

i have a chapion juicer i got for 35$ at an estate sale.love it.taylor

Posted by: AVOJAMACADA ()
Date: February 08, 2007 12:48AM

Ummm I have a green star 3000 too.I don't juice as much but I think it's FAR suppeier.

Happy juicin!!Geeet Doooown!!

haha -I juice in front of a huge window,in my boxers half naked with LOUD HEAVY music ussually, when kids are ussually walking to school outside...I'd like to think I'm a positive influenc.No?

See you at the top!!

Date: February 08, 2007 01:01AM

TheCoconutChronicles,

Looks good but I agree it is too expensive. Plus, the omega 8003 does everything it does at a lower price.

arugula,

I shall check that one out.

taylor,

That is pretty cheap. Retail is more $$.

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 08, 2007 01:15AM

Kempo Juicer. Not heavy and efficient [www.fernsnutrition.com]

Date: February 08, 2007 01:52AM

greenman - the Omega does indeed look like a great juicer!

Dorian (AVOJAMACADA) - LMAO your house must be the most popular on the block, right?

<3

Lisa

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: February 08, 2007 02:09AM

Greenstar is the BEST

Does NOT heat your veggies up, thus killing htem AND it makes a AWESOME banana ice cream!!!

PS it also juices wheat grass something the champion does not!

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: February 08, 2007 04:18AM

I have an Omega 8003, and I like it a lot.

However, this is my first juicer, so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

I haven't done wheatgrass, but I believe it can, and it doesn't heat anything up. And I have made banana icecream - the whole family loves it.

It's also really easy to clean.

Sapphire

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: February 08, 2007 04:40AM

i have discovered a great way of juicing just using a blender. blend your veg like your making a smoothie( with a cup of water) and then strain it through a milk straining bag! you can get squeeze it very dry! Simple! no need for an expesive juicer and easy clean! You are supposed to have your juices diluted with water anyway.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 08, 2007 05:38AM

A crappy little Cuisiniart juicer that I bought from a woman through Craigslist for $10. It works quite well, and I strain the juice after I make it so that it has very little pulp.

Sharrhan

www.soundclick.com/sharrhan

"When the outer clothing of culture and acquired belief structure is
stripped away from my spiritual practice, what is revealed? Am I left
with a warm, living body of truth, or a naked, lifeless skeleton of
illusion?"

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 08, 2007 05:51AM

Greenstar for sure!!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: February 08, 2007 04:02PM

I have an old cuisinart I bought from a friend for $75 about 15 years ago, still running fine but mostly unused since I discovered green smoothies.

I tried juice from a friend's Greenstar and didn't like it at all. There was a faint plastic taste. I think the twin augers are made of plastic or it has other plastic parts in there and that's what I tasted.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: February 08, 2007 05:12PM

I have a Lexen "healthy juicer". Vegetable / wheatgrass juicer combo. I like it.

[www.naturalways.com]

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: February 08, 2007 06:25PM

i bought a sampson after living at ohi in 2002 all summer
its a great appliance. unfortunately i switched to blended
soups and only used the juicer a few times. fortunately
i didn't make the mistake of buying a high end blender,
as i now prefer chewing everything.

know anyone that wants a samson?

Date: February 08, 2007 07:11PM

lemoned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a Lexen "healthy juicer". Vegetable /
> wheatgrass juicer combo. I like it.
>
> [www.naturalways.com]

I like this one 50$ cheaper.

How long have you had it? Did you experience any hassles with it?

Does it have Automatic Pulp Ejection?

Does it produce good juice yield?

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 08, 2007 08:06PM

A champion... it weighs a ton, looks so industrial, but it works good, and a good work out lifting it up to the counter. Doesn't matter if I like it or not, because I paid too much for it, to even think of getting another one.

Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 08, 2007 09:36PM

Do any of these do nuts? I need something for cheesecake but an expensive one is scary and a cheap one is scary....

I need a specific recommendation. I need to do vast quantities of nuts for raw cheesecakes for the family.

Date: February 08, 2007 10:40PM

Sienna,

I use my Cuisinart for cheeses and pates. A less expensive food processor might work, too. If you want to use a juicer, the best one for that would be the Champion without the screen (just put in the blank), but the most efficient machine for you would be the Cuisinart.

Date: February 08, 2007 10:43PM

The greenstar is excellent with nuts. It's such a workhorse and has handled anything I have thrown at it from the hardest root veggies and nuts to the most delicate greens.

The only downside I see to it is the price tag, which may be out of range for a lot of budgets.

Date: February 08, 2007 10:54PM

Thanks guys -I'll investigate those (though I fear the greenstar may be out of range... I may go for it someday but I am not sure how comitted I am. I mean I have a juicer and I no longer believe in juice so that was a waste). I am very proud of my cheesecake you see as it is the only thing I can 'cook' (cooked or otherwise)! Plus my dad hasn't eaten any sugar or honey for the past 40 years (he has some Candida phobia) so it is nice putting some sweet back into his life.

Date: February 08, 2007 11:05PM

Oh one more question about the Cuisinart and the Greenstar -do you have to mess around with the nuts -i.e. move them about every two minutes or add water or just fiddle? or is it in there and BAM nut powder?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 08, 2007 11:59PM

I have a Champion juicer. I juice my bananas.

Date: February 09, 2007 12:01AM

With the Cuisinart, you have to scrape down the sides of the container a couple of times, but it's no big deal. I suggest getting the 14 cup model (not the 8 cup model) if you are going to be making large amounts.

The Champion juicer is mess to use. If you already have a juicer you don't use, there's no reason to buy the Champion IMHO. I use my Cuisinart all the time. It's a workhorse and very easy to clean up.

Date: February 27, 2007 08:34PM

Sapphire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an Omega 8003, and I like it a lot.

> It's also really easy to clean.

I got my today, and started using it, it is very easy to clean.

One question about the reserve button, do you have to hold it down or is my just
broken?

Posted by: Pam ()
Date: February 27, 2007 10:34PM

I have a Greenstar for nuts (like for "meatloaf"winking smiley. I also use it to juice greens, but not often. So... the Greenstar is stored under the counter since I don't use it much.

I also have a Breville Juice Fountain. It's easy to clean for quick jobs like carrot or apple juice when required in a recipe. I'm more of a smoothie person... I like very green smoothies and the quick sugar rush of fruit juices doesn't serve me well and I find I need the fiber. If I drank juice, I'd use the Greenstar because it's a masticating juicer and delivers better quality than the Breville's centrifugal system.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 01, 2007 12:54AM

i have an omega 8003, and i am very happy with it. it's very good for juicing greens. You can also make nut butters and ice creams and baby foods, and stuff like that. oh, and wheatgrass. I believe this is primarily a greens juicer. I think there is a faq on this site that helps u pick out the best juicer suited for your needs.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: March 01, 2007 01:18AM

"Commercial" model Champion juicer and no complaints.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 01, 2007 01:40AM

The best 'all around' juicers are the single-auger models, like the Omega 8003 or the Samson 6 in 1. For large amounts of Carrot Juice, I like the Omega 4000, pulp ejection centrifugal. The twin-gears may produce nutritious juice, but try juicing 28 large carrots with one. You're in for quite a surprise.......WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2007 01:47AM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables