Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

negative calorie effect
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 09, 2007 03:01PM

do you think there is truth to the negative calorie effect theory? thanks so much.taylor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: negative calorie effect
Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: February 09, 2007 04:27PM

Do you mean the theory that the more calories you eat the shorter you live?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 09, 2007 05:19PM

Or perhaps this means eating foods like celery, that take more energy to digest than the energy they provide. Of course, celery has a lot of fiber and minerals, which are important nutrients, but is very low on calories.

Date: February 09, 2007 06:34PM

you got it Bryan...that is it.The book i bought a while back is called the negative calorie effect by Neal Barnard,M.D. he says some foods take more calories to digest within our system and step up the body's calorie buring process.like u mention a stalk of celery.say one stalk has 7 calories but it takes 30 calories for the stalk to break down in our system.so eating a stalk of celery will burn off 23 calories.if u eat 5 stalks a day-you will loose one pound in a month.the foods this guy says are the calorie negative foods are these;corn,rice,potates,lettuce(all varieties),broccoli,carrots,black beans,kidney beans,spinach,lentils,celery,peas,cauliflower,pineapple,cabbage,oranges,aples,grapefruit,banana's and oatmeal.of course there is more negative calorie effect foods.he says u can eat these foods in umlimited amounts without worrying about counting calories and also as long as u don't just stuff and stuff and overeat.then another thing he says is all the protein everyone eats is what causes osteoporosis.high protein diets cause calcium to be lost in the urine.like meat is very high in what is called'sulfur-containing amono acids".these meats are suspected of being particularly likely to leach calcium from the bones.anyway-the book is good and not such deep reading and so hard to understand as say gabriels cousens level of intelligence.anyway-this guys is vegan but not to raw but getting close.just wondered if u could believe if u eat certain foods-it takes more to digest them than the fact of putting them in your body.taylor

Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 09, 2007 08:16PM

I don't believe in it. Your body is made for survival -it can get calories out of pretty much anything short of cardboard.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 09, 2007 08:25PM

I heard of this before also but was under the impression that cucumbers and leafy greens such as lettuce, spinach and kale were the negative caloric foods. Starchy foods like beans and most root vegetables do not strike me as negative caloric foods. Not that their caloric amounts strike me as being high either. Does the author of your book give you exact numbers? (calories per weight, etc.)

Date: February 10, 2007 04:30AM

well-the thing i also thought was interesting that this guy says is it is meat that leaches calcium from your bones and this is what causes osteoporosis... and high protein is what causes this disease.probably all the powers that be know this and just tell people to drink more milk.they don't tell us it is from too much protein.i think that is pretty progresive for someone to say.well-is it not getting calories out of things -the point is eating say celery and it has 7 cals and it take 30 inside u to digest it-leaving u with 26 burned off calories.since i am trying to loose-getting in nutriton but not having alot of cals hanging around is sort of a good thing.taylor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables