Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Iodine
Posted by: greenman ()
Date: February 10, 2007 03:42AM

Sea salt vs table salt, what is better?

From Wikipedia:

"Because sea salt lacks high concentrations of iodide, an ion essential for human health, it is not necessarily a healthy alternative to regular table salt, which is usually supplemented with the element."

Sources of iodine:
Salt
seaweeds
For vegetables it depends on the soil.

I know most of you here, don't consume salt so how do you get your iodine?

No system has ever as yet existed which did not in some form involve the exploitation of some human beings for the advantage of others. John Dewey 1921.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Iodine
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 10, 2007 04:39AM

i don't eat any salt.all we need is one teaspoon a day and if you have high blood pressure...i think 1/2 teaspoon a day.i figured it was in the food i eat.taylor

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: February 10, 2007 05:28AM

greenman,

Bananas have a bit in them, don't know the exact amount.

All the best,
wong

Date: February 10, 2007 05:36AM

I read in another forum (I believe it was something Bryan said) that tomatoes and celery have the amount of sodium that a person needs... I'll try and find the post...

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 11, 2007 04:26PM

I use dulse and kelp in powdered form - keep it right on the kitchen counter and sprinkle it in salads or soups or even smoothies.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: February 11, 2007 05:08PM

taylor - a teaspoon contains 2.5 grams salt. USDA puts the RDA at 0.5 grams/day, a figure I read in "The sunfood diet success system" too. I think it's individual though, as you say.

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: February 11, 2007 05:10PM

Gabriel Cousens recommends 2-3 ounces of sea vegetables a week. Worth noting is that the iodine content can be up to ten times greater or less than average.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:11AM

I've been getting my iodine mostly from sundried dulse or raw nori. I crumple up the dulse and put it on my salads or make veggie wraps with the nori.

I think I might try buying the fresh raw seaweed though. The health food store here often carries several varieties of fresh seaweed in containers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2007 03:17AM by suncloud.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:22AM

that may be-one teaspoon for me in the un-raw days was a drop in the bucket. i use to pour it on everything.and eat the really salted fries from Mcdonalds and salt-salt -chips and on and on-chips and beer and not even taste anything-just salt on it all.i don't put salt on anything now-i figure it is in all we eat.i don't know where i got that info-i think my dr.thanks for clearing that up.taylor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables