Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Your favorite foods to eat RAW?
Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 10, 2007 05:10PM

I feel like I'm stuck in a rut with the foods I'm eating raw. I eat the same things over and over...and it's getting tiresome. I don't really do recipes often, but instead just choose to eat the actual items. I was hoping some of you could tell me your favorite foods to eat raw to give me some inspiration? I'm not 100% raw yet mainly for the fact that I can't come up with any new foods that I really seem to like enough to make meals out of them and I'm growing tired of the same ol' same ol'. I typically just make bowls of fruits and bowls of veggies with nuts and seeds on top for meals.

The things I currently eat a lot of are:
Bananas, Oranges, Plums, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Kale, Celery, Carrots, Pecans, Cashews, and Sesame Seeds.

& just so they're stated, the things I've tried but just can't seem to find myself liking are:
Green Beans, Avacado (I know, how horrible!!!), or coconut.

Thanks so much in advance for your responses smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your favorite foods to eat RAW?
Posted by: ela ()
Date: February 10, 2007 05:16PM

Hey Pyratekk,

If you're not getting satisfied, have you considered changing things up just a tad? Sometimes presentation can go a long way - if instead of just eating the fruits straight and whole, you cut them up together and decorate them with parsley sprigs or something, you might find them more appetizing? Also, experiment with different varieties of the same fruit type - you're eating oranges: do you like mandarins/satsumas/tangerines/grapefruits? You could make yourself a citrus medley, with some squeezed citrus juice as a dressing! Or, have you tried some other varieties of banana? Baby bananas and manzano bananas are fairly readily available and so delicious. Even if you're not into making recipes, putting the bananas in a blender with a teeny bit of water and making a smoothie can be a lovely change.

Or, mashed bananas and dates rolled up in lettuce leaves - wrapping things up in lettuce leaves is a fun way to eat winking smiley For a savory version you could shred your carrots and cucumbers, add a little sprinkle of your nuts/seeds and roll up in the leaves.

Hope this is even a little bit of help.
love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 10, 2007 05:21PM

I had a peach the other day and it was so perfect and ripe I had to have two more. I would have eaten more if I had had them. I love eating pablano peppers. I put tahini cheese mixed with olive juice, tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, a littla avocado (you can leave that out) on top of pablano strips and it is a very spicy treat. I love it!! At first I have to say WOOOOOO! It is so hot!!! Then my tongue gets numb and I eat two more. It really takes the boredom out of my diet. I bet it isn't a treat for everyone though. Grapefruit is really big in our house right now. We eat them by the truckload. Also a soup made with tomato, cucumber is popular.

Date: February 10, 2007 05:22PM

Oh such great suggestions! I love the 'lettuce wrap' idea!!!
Oddly enough I have a manzano banana with my fruits right now, problem is that I tried to peel it and found that it wasn't ripe :shock: so I had to find a way to wrap it up and hope that it doesn't spoil now before it gets ripe sad smiley. Do you have any suggestions on this, would putting it in a sunny window quicken the ripening?

Also, I've never had dates...what would you describe the taste as? There are some things that for some reason I can't stomach so I always try to find out about a flavor first and then keep an open mind while trying it. There have actually been foods that I liked the taste of but for some reason they made me gag! How weird is that? So I was just curious as to what they taste like, I've seen others here post about using them to thicken things and for a sweeter taste.

pakd4fun:
Do you know of anything I could sub for the pepper? I realized I forgot to mention that in my post as well. I *can* eat peppers and onions but they tend to really mess with my stomach and therefore I stay away from them as much as I can. I feel I'm being very picky, but I'm actually pretty open to trying new things...I just already know the things I've tried and don't like all that well smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2007 05:24PM by Pyratekk.

Date: February 10, 2007 05:24PM

I think dates taste like caramel.

Date: February 10, 2007 05:25PM

Oh that sounds good (^_^)

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: February 10, 2007 06:28PM

Dates taste like candy! They are delicious.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 10, 2007 06:44PM

yup! caramel!

Also, I couldn't live without romaine! Absolutely LOVE it. I can eat a pound of romaine in a salad! My husband laughs and asks me if I'm going to a family reunion pot luck when he sees my salads!

Watermelon and cantelope are usually available - extremely alkaline and don't take prep - whack it in half - grab a spoon!

I love the taste of parsley and cilantro - I eat them by the bunch - sometimes as a snack. I wash the parsley or cilantro, trim off the bottom largest stems and then place the bunch in a glass jar of cold water. The rest of the day I munch on the lovely green bouquet!!!!

If there's lots of foods that "gag you out", you might want to check into your hydrochloic acid level. I've recently done the "challenge" test for low hcl and found out that I was extremely low - started supplementing and am feeling much better - just eat what I want and then forget about it - no bloating, gas, beltching, etc. Feeling Gooooooooooooood!

LIfe Is Good!

alive!

Date: February 10, 2007 09:32PM

How would I find out about my hcl? And I can't believe I didn't even think about watermelons, I love watermelons. Romaine will work for me as well smiling smiley a lot of times with my fiance and I go out to dinner I'll just get a salad that is basically romaine and cucumbers, no dressing or anything because I love eating it plain smiling smiley

Right now I'm just munching on bean sprouts and cucumbers with a little lemon juice on them...next I have to eat some fruit only problem is that I am tired of the fruits I have. Alex and I are supposed to be going to the grocery store so I think I'll get watermelon!!

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Date: February 10, 2007 09:55PM

Sorry, I didn't see you asked for a pepper substitute. Hmmm, Not sure on that, maybe a stuffed tomato or just on a romaine leaf. I used to think peppers didn't agree with me but I guess My body changed because now I eat them up. I also eat a lot of parsley and cilantro together. I use it all week and when I am ready to go to the store for more I take all of what is left and make a huge salad. I chop it up and add tomato, cukes, avo, green onion, lemon, olive oil and honey. You can leave any of those out and it would still be yummy. I will eat watermellon all day, my form af mono., especially if I am feeling bloated.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: February 10, 2007 10:50PM

Pyratekk,

On the hydrochloric acid thing - you could check out www.diagnose-me.com and do a search.

Also, there's also some detail on www.rheumatic.org/hcl.htm

Life Is Good!

alive!

ps. Maybe you should take up growing sprouts - they don't take up much time at all! Your little guy is a cutey!!!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 10, 2007 11:46PM

My core hasn't changed in years. I still have at least one big fruit salad and at least one big vegetable salad every day. Fruit salad always has citrus, apples, and berries. Veg salad always has lettuces, onion, and tomato. But the rest is varied, and I tend to use a lot of different ingredients and make it different each time.

I still crave them.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 11, 2007 12:10AM

I love orange/mango smoothies. And when I want something decadent once every couple months or so I can't resist my cacao/walnut 'brownie': ground cacao, ground walnuts, pureed rasins (mixed in a little water)-- yum.

Sharrhan

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 11, 2007 07:06AM

orange/mango smoothie sounds so good!! i just got my spiral slicer and it works wonderful.a great little device.i made zucchini noodles...they look like angel hair pasta and i made a sun-dried tomato sauce on top.so so good. another thing i ate recently-was a raw corn on the cob with avocado butter on the cob. it was just so good.i have been looking thru my un-cook books and see so many good recipes but since i am trying to loose weight -i have not tried the things that sound so yummy-like the brownies they have recipes for-they sound like they would taste so so good.i know you don't like avocado's but mashed on raw corn on the cob was sure good.hugs and have fun with that new food dryer.good place to look.hugs taylor

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 11, 2007 10:23AM

Persimmons. Are they still available where you are? For me, they'll soon be out of season. But just last night I got a killer deal on 14 of them for about two US dollars. Still got some left. And two avocados for a buck or so! Do you fancy some of the tropical fruits like papayas? I don't know if durian is still available but not too many days ago people were posting about how they'd had some to eat. Do you like jicama? I love jicama. Sweet, juicy, crunchy. Some people somewhere call 'em yam beans.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: February 11, 2007 05:41PM

Jicama, yes. I love jicama and had never eaten before going raw. I love to dip it. I can't always find it where I live though.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 11, 2007 06:41PM

I have staples which are my everyday have to haves..

Fuits:
Bananas
Oranges
Apples
Mangos
Frozen or fresh berries
Almonds
Medjool dates
(my fav. is watermelon, but not a staple)

Veggies:
Carrots
Celery
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Spinach
Avocados

When I'm raw..that's what I need to keep me raw..everything else is just a bonus.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 11, 2007 07:10PM

Bell peppers - red, orange or yellow. They're so yummy & the staple of my diet. I eat them whole, like an apple. Everything else is just whatever I happen to feel like eating.

I've also found an occasional combination of romaine lettuce & papaya to be delightful.

And blueberries- I love blueberries.

Posted by: Demogirl06 ()
Date: February 11, 2007 07:18PM

corn...

raw sweet corn off the cobb, in front of all my friends who--for some reason--didn't think you could eat corn straight from the cobb without cooking it.

The journey is the reward.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 11, 2007 07:26PM

Demogirl06.the raw corn is a delite i just discovered.it is so wonderful.i put mashed avocado on mine and it was heaven.taylor

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 11, 2007 08:00PM

taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Demogirl06.the raw corn is a delite i just
> discovered.it is so wonderful.i put mashed avocado
> on mine and it was heaven.taylor

ooh that sounds GOOD! I'm going to try that avocado + corn combo.

Posted by: SiennaInLondon ()
Date: February 11, 2007 08:02PM

I love raw baby corn! I was eating it before being raw because I get vegetable packs from the supermarket and I don't know how to cook so I just ate it! Lol!

Posted by: ela ()
Date: February 11, 2007 09:29PM

Pyratekk,

I think you will love dates. There are so many different varieties, ranging from soft and squishy to firm and almost crunchy. All are sweet - some are more caramelly and some a 'darker', more minerally kind of sweet.

I'm the same way: I can't deal with bell peppers or onions/garlic - they totally mess with my stomach. Periodically I try them again and it's the same story. Two things, though: 1) - they don't seem to mess with me as much if they're dehydrated. That is a bit like two wrongs making a right, though, so I don't use that very often. and 2) I've noticed that whilst onions and garlic really bother me, leek is fine.

Durian, dates and persimmons are probably my favorite foods (although I could imagine certain sapotes, jackfruit and annona family (cherimoya type fruits) taking their place up there if I had access to them enough!

love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Date: February 11, 2007 11:00PM

A new obsession for me is dried figs. I love them and I think I am needing the calcium because my nails have gotten soft since going raw.

Date: February 11, 2007 11:31PM

Thanks for all the suggestions smiling smiley Some of these things I'm surprised I didn't think of lol.

I used to always pick at the corn on the cob before I would cook it and eat little pieces off it - I'm definitely going tomorrow to get some!!

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables