Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what is your skin care routine?
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:13AM

i just wondered what raw people do for skin care? I picture avocados smeared all over the face and even hair.and all kinds of things.i use soap and sugar on my face and sometimes put olive oil on.sometimes an oatmeal mask.just wondering cause everyones skin is so clear on here.thanks taylor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is your skin care routine?
Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:14AM

I use seseame seed ground up in a coffee grinder...add a little water in the palm of your hand and exfoliate wash face with it!! i love it...i use jojoba oil for a moisturizer on my face and body.....good luck
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:17AM

I use a natural soap. Not to sure what's in it but it definitly has pieces of cacoa nibs in it. I only wash my face in the mornings...unless I put make up on during the day. I use either aloe gel (directly from the plant) or coconut oil a couple times a week at nite and for a daily moisturizer I use a raw, vegan product called bee-yummy from live-live.com (I recently ran out of it though--so I haven't been using it lately!)

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 12, 2007 03:50AM

NYC water seems bad for my skin so I use baby wipes instead to remove make-up, then splash some bottled water onto my skin, then moisturize with olive or sesame oil. I only do this at night to remove make-up, in the am I shower w/o getting my face wet (except in other cities with better water I just do normal face washing). I read in the New York Times Magazine that heavy metals in water bind to skin collagen & break it down, that's why people in certain cities have worse skin than others. Now this was mostly observations by a doctor rather than hard science but who cares, I'm personally not taking any chances.

Then for occasional exfoliation I mix baking soda & olive oil into a paste and smear it on my face, exfoliating as I do so, then I create a chemical reaction by adding lemon slices to the baking soda mix. I just made it up, I think it's pretty neat & def seems to work- you get this rough, foaming, bubbling acid mixture on your skin. Also I read in "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" that baking soda is one of the best exfoliants, so why buy expensive ones that work less well.

However I've found the single best & most effective thing for skin for that radiant youthful glow is EXERCISE. and raw foods of course smiling smiley

Posted by: Cecilia ()
Date: February 12, 2007 04:44AM

Hi There,
I wash my skin with coconut oil and water. That's it. If I don't have any make-up on sometimes I just use water.

Best Wishes,
C

Get Your Free Raw Food Starter Guide E-Book at:
[www.rawglow.com]

Find Your Inner Glow!

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: February 12, 2007 08:11AM

I wash my skin with a combination of olive oil and fresh lemon juice. I then tone with a solution of lemon juice and rose water. I then put goat yogurt on my face as a mask - Leave it on for 15 minutes. I then rinse and use a wonderful but pricey natural moisturizer called Skingenic. And then sunscreen. My skin is amazing - On my face that is....

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 13, 2007 03:19AM

I use an Aubrey facial cleanser for dry or sensitive skin, and then the Aubrey rosa mosqueta moisturizer. Aubrey is kind of expensive, but I only use a little each time I wash, and it lasts a long time. The products are vegan.

Vitamin E is really important for maintaining skin tone and overall healthy skin. Lately I noticed that my vitamin E consumption is very low. According to nutritiondata.com, sunflower seeds are one of the best sources for vitamin E, so I started eating them soaked and/or sprouted. I'm kind of small, so I only eat about 1/4 cup a day (1/4 cup dry, then soaked or sprouted which just about doubles the quantity to about 1/2 cup).

Posted by: uma ()
Date: February 13, 2007 03:27AM

I use water. I have a long history of using every skin care product imaginable over the years, and a history of skin problems. I've come to experience that skin problems can be healed from the inside out so I stopped trying to heal them from the outside in. I haven't gotten as far as I'd like to go, my skin is wayyyy better than it was a few years ago, but I am excited about the exploration! It is also freeing not to have to buy products anymore.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 13, 2007 04:53AM

I have not used soap, any kind on my face for 8 months.just a little tiny coconut oil to remove makeup. I shower and dry with a towel, that's it..I sometimes use napkin to dry face after throwing water on it

My skin is better than it ever has been, ever

NOW my hair, thats a different story!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2007 04:57AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 13, 2007 10:43AM

you know Uma,I have found out the same thing. i started drinking more water and my skin got better.But i did not contribute the water drinking as the reason.About the same time I started drinking more water-i had ordered this expensive cream.A tiny jar for 32$.I thought it was this stuff that make my skin better.It was not-i started using the cream and not drinking water.My skin went back to poor looking.now since raw-my skin is so much better.i am amazed.hugs taylor

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 13, 2007 11:08AM

Taylor, I'm the worst person to ask... I use organic soap & lotion... the only time I wash my face is when I take a bath or shower. I've been too lazy to wash my face anytime other than that, and this is how it's been for years...and I put organic lotion on it everyday, sometimes its just body lotion, whatever is handy. I've been told I have nice skin.. I think it's because I don't mess with it much. I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day though.

Posted by: GotVeggie ()
Date: February 13, 2007 05:38PM

wow the dentist must love you 2-3 times. I should start doing that too! Organic Toothpaste =)

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: February 13, 2007 10:57PM

Make sure you get toothpaste without glycerine. Even most of the organic ones have glycerine added to them.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 13, 2007 11:34PM

I use water on my face. I am too lazy for any other treatments. Apart of course the juicy fruit. In my tummy, that is.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: February 14, 2007 01:43AM

water, massage and a bit of tapping/slapping
just to stimulate circulation.

but my feet are another story. before bed
i rub them with a little peach lotion and
kiss all my toes.

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: February 14, 2007 08:01AM

Burt's Bees Orange Oil cleanser, followed by Burt's Bees Carrot Day Cream.

Date: February 14, 2007 08:05AM

I use Beauty Without Cruelty products...

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: February 14, 2007 07:42PM

I forgot to mention that I really like MyChelle products - They are super clean and treatment oriented - So they help with wrinkles, collagen loss, pigmentation, free radical damage, acne. But of course what you eat is the most important factor related to good skin....

I also mentioned earlier that I love to cleanse with olive oil and lemon - Now I throw a squirt of honey into the mix - Even better! And rosehip seed oil, a few drops, seems to be doing wonders for my dehydrated and delicate skin.

Sunscreen. I had this whole back and forth relationship with it for the past month. But after doing my own research and checking in, I decided that the chemical ones are way too risky and scary. I found a super concentrated and pure one that contains 23.1% zinc oxide and some good oils in addition - UV Naturals is the name - It does not even contain titanium oxide which is controversial in terms of its carcinogenic properties.

One more thing - There is an herbal apothecary here in town that sells bags of dried and mixed seaweeds. Oh my gosh! You put it in a muslim bag, take it in the tub with you, and run the gooey mess all over your body - It is so nourishing and softening!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell I love skin care? I should have been an esthetician. I find this stuff so nourishing and fascinating! Especially the stuff that you make and do in your kitchen....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2007 07:48PM by dancerinthenight.

Date: February 14, 2007 11:27PM

"I forgot to mention that I really like MyChelle products - They are super clean and treatment oriented - So they help with wrinkles, collagen loss, pigmentation, free radical damage, acne."

I am a hopeless non-believer in products. Is there any solid evidence that what you put on face can get rid of say wrinkles?

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: February 15, 2007 02:47AM

Gosia:

I do not have any studies to back up my belief in natural products. There are a plethora of studies that show wrinkle reduction, pigmentation decrease, collagen synthesis, etc. of artificial products - But they do not talk about the long-term risks involved in using such products. I do, however, have a lot of experience with products and have seen results in other people. No - Nothing will get rid of things completely - Short of plastic surgery or Botox and the like. But maintaining proper hydration and topical antioxidants without a doubt influence the level of wrinkling and pigmentation disorders. It looks from your picture that you are blessed with gorgeous skin. I am sure a lot has to do with your diet and lifestyle. But there also are certain skin types that do better with nothing. Other people seem to need some product. I have seen some people renounce all products in the name of purity and aging very quickly. I have also seen some people do this and look great. I think it is an individual experience and each person needs to trust his/her sense of what is important. I do know that, for me, it is important to know that what I am putting on my skin is not causing damage and health related issues. I totally support your commitment to purity - I think it is brave and wonderful that you can take it so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 02:50AM by dancerinthenight.

Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:07AM

For those who still use honey -
I use a mixture of honey and sea salt on my face as a scrub (or just honey by itself for a facial cleanser) and use coconut oil for a moisturizer. I also really like using aloe vera (straight from the plant) on my face from time to time. Since using honey my face went from very broken out to clear except for scars - love it smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Date: February 15, 2007 03:44AM

dancerinthenight, thanks smiling smiley)) but ... my skin isn't perfect sad smiley , the photo does not pick everything smiling smiley . Nevertheless, I do notice that eating lots of fruit has helped. Also, recently, I noticed that vigorous exercise helps too. I do have smile lines. Botox? Nicole Kidman does it. Isn't she beautiful? Ehh, life's unfair lol!

I do not believe in purity (I am too rebelious for that), I just love eating fruit.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables