Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Candida - Fat vs. Sugar
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: February 12, 2007 08:17PM

Hello,

I keep hearing about this "fat causes candida" thing, and I'm just a little confused as to how this is possible, because I don't think it is. I'm certainly open to new ideas, so if someone could explain the reasoning behind this I'm all ears.

Because in biology labs we always added a sugar to facilitate yeast growths - I've never known fat to be a growth medium for yeast.

And if you think about it - consider your refrigerator at home (or rather, your previous SAD fridge) --- fats, butter, etc. - keep without ever getting moldy - fat just goes rancid. All the sugar containing items, however, will eventually develop mold - jams, bread, etc.

I'm not disputing the wonderfulness of an 80/10/10 diet here, I'm just gonna say that perhaps "fat causes candida" should not be a point of argument FOR the diet, because I can't see how that could be an accurate statement.

Who said this anyway, Doug Graham? What's his reasoning? Did he do some research that showed that candida grew better in a medium of fat rather than sugar, or what? Why would he say such a thing? That's what baffles me.

And again, I do think that 80/10/10 is a good thing to aspire to, so that is not an issue - just the candida thing.

Thanks for your input!

Love,
Sunshine

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Candida - Fat vs. Sugar
Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: February 12, 2007 08:53PM

if you read doug's new 80 10 10 book you will not be confused any longer sunshine...he explain's it in detail....

if you have candida and you are doing low sugar high/moderate fat...you might want to try something else...

best to you...

Posted by: gary ()
Date: February 12, 2007 09:02PM

Hi Sunshine,

according to Doug Graham, eating excess fat causes the sugar in your bloodstream to 'back-up' and Candida over-growth occurs because the sugar does not get digested/obsorbed quickly enough. So it's not really the fat or the sugar that causes Candida over-growth, it is the combination of the two.

I've been reading the new 80/10/10 book and it has really got me confused about Candida too. I think Candida is my problem and for the last few weeks I have been following an anti-candida program that is basically zero sugar (including fruit sugars and milk sugars etc) together with the commonly prescribed probiotics, vitamin supplements and anti-fungals. It is supposed to take several months to cure Candida over-growth and the diet must still be followed for a year afterwards.

Now along comes Doug and says "Noooo, eat sweet fruit, forget all supplements and drugs etc but reduce fat to 10%" (paraphrasing :-). So now I'm not sure what to do. It does sound very plausible and I have already made a start by reducing fat in my diet, but I'm very reluctant to start eating fruit yet.

Thanks for bringing this up. I hope someone can offer some advice.

Cheers,

Gary

Posted by: Dr Mom ()
Date: February 13, 2007 12:20PM

Candida overgrowth starts with too much undigested food in the colon. The healthy amount of yeast in the colon proliferates to make more so that they can do their job of digesting undigested food. If the population gets too large, the candida will bore through the colon wall and escape out into the blood stream causing fingernail and toe fungus, UTI's , thunderclap headaches and a host of other issues. This is called leaky gut syndrome.

I used to reccomend candida cleanses until I learned from one of my mentors that plant based digestive enzymes taken on an empty stomach will actually go out through the leaky gut and digest the candida and leave no die off symptoms. This along with limiting sugars and starches has been effective with my clients.

I have not experimented with Candida with any of my raw clients yet, but if this works with a SAD person, I am sure it will work with a raw person.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables