Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Juliano
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 13, 2007 07:58PM

I've always known of Juliano, but just recently, looked at some of his sites and I might by his book, Raw The Uncook Book. I've watched a few of his videos online, and he is an laid back, intelligent, funny man and I learned a lot from him.

Juliano does not like these items, and this is what it says about his raw restaraunt.

NO: wheat soy CORN RICE GRAINS seedless fruits GMO’S BEANS CARROTS BANANAS DATES POTATOES pineapple oat cane kiwi. NO Disaccharides (starches) SUGARS!!

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juliano
Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: February 13, 2007 10:14PM

I thought he no longer had his restaurant. If he doesn't want the foods listed, then he has changed since publishing his book, because he uses much of those in his recipies.

I agree that we should avoid the foods he has listed.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 13, 2007 10:32PM

I eat and like bananas, dates, pineapple, kiwi, seedless fruits (bananas, tangerines, grapes).

Starch isn't an ideal food for raw foodists. If you like them, then eat them. But to me, they have no taste, and require flavor enhancers to make them taste good. Grains are not an ideal food for raw foodist either because of the opioids and the phytic acid. Beans are hard to digest raw because of their high fat/protein/starch combination.

Date: February 13, 2007 11:44PM

Too bad about his restaraunt, I wanted to go there.. I'm not sure why he didn't like those things listed, but most of those are my fave foods. Glad he changed his mind, so I'll like his book better.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 13, 2007 11:47PM

The book is older so it includes those items, he doesn't use them anymore.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: February 13, 2007 11:51PM

Heya Rob! Do you know what the reason is for not using those items?

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: February 14, 2007 12:23AM

Hmm... No bananas, dates, kiwi........... I try to include what I can, and if it doesn't work for me in food preparation, then I don't use it.

I often eat bananas with oranes and pineapples for breakfast. Just the other day, I took the little darlings down to the Co-Op and we had Pineapples, mangos, tangelos, nut and water for breakfast.

I'm not sure why he suggests not to use bananas, pineapples, dates or kiwis; I'm sure I'll continue to use them. Why? They work for my body.

Thanks,

Arilraw

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: February 14, 2007 02:27AM

I just looked on his website and it says his restaurant is still open. Did I miss something or was it in the news and he just hasn't changed his website yet?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 14, 2007 02:37AM

Rawrrr! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> NO: wheat soy CORN RICE GRAINS seedless fruits
> GMO’S BEANS CARROTS BANANAS DATES POTATOES
> pineapple oat cane kiwi. NO Disaccharides
> (starches) SUGARS!!
>
> What do you think?

Overly restrictive for inadequate reason. If you
have intolerances, you should avoid them. If you
tolerate them and like the taste, why avoid them?

There are groups of centenarians who get most of
their kcals from cooked sweet potato.

[www.cmj.org]

The Okinawan centenarians also got most of the kcals from the
sweet potato.

They are surely not a deadly poison.

If you could go back in time and give these people relatively
starch-free diets that increased raw leafy greens and tropical
wild raw fruits instead of giving them sweet potato, they might
do even better.

But we don't really know how much better.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: February 14, 2007 02:39AM

Juliano doesn't have his restaurant anymore? Do you mean his old one in SF or his new one in LA?

Love,
Uma

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: February 14, 2007 05:25AM

I don't know Uma which city or anything about it. I just went to his website recently. Perhaps I didn't read it carefully enough. You can do a search for Juliano and find out if interested. I am not interested enough to do so as I don't live anywhere near enough to go there if I wanted to.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 14, 2007 06:22AM

I LOVE MEDJOOLS DATES, no way I am giving them up, I get them from Yuma AZ..and I love Bananas, like crazy!!

Posted by: red_willow ()
Date: February 14, 2007 07:17AM

I just went to his restaurant in L.A. a few days ago and it was AWESOME! Even my super carnivore hubby liked it.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 14, 2007 07:32AM

The way I interpret what he says is that he is not using the GMO versions of those food items. I.e. if they are not GMO then he'll use them.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: February 14, 2007 08:25AM

coconutcream.. have you had any other dates from there? I plan to order a couple of cases when we get to Seattle

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 14, 2007 02:44PM

I have an idea about why Juliano might not use bananas. It comes from Macrobiotic theory. If a food grows more than I think 500 miles away, then it's considered not ideal. That's because of the difference in environments. Eat locally, the theory goes, because people living near where a food ideally grows, are better adapted to those foods. I don't know the details though. I studied and lived a macrobiotic sort of life for a few months several years ago. I prefer raw.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 14, 2007 04:42PM

dearest rawrrr.I have his uncookbook called raw-when i saw it i was bowled over by the beauty of the pictures of his food.the pictures are so lovely-u think of art work.but i did buy his cookbook and he does use carrots-there is a full carrot drink and he has a carrot cake and he has banana's and dates he uses pineapple too.he uses corn in a corn stuffing on page 103 of his cookbook.on page 141-he has a recipe for raw refried beans and rice burritos.you put 2 c. of black beans in a processor(sprouted beans).he uses oats on pages 167 for baklava and on page 163 he has a recipe for oatmeal cookies.and for oat stuffing.he makes a kiwi swirled bubble gum on pg.79.the book is simply beautiful.i thought he was sort of cute too as i thought he was a girl.but if anything-he uses everything. in fact his recipes are wonderful the book is spendy but worth it.i paid 35$.but he uses alot of stuff in his book also and even apple cider vinegar.on the seedless fruit-he uses strawberries,pomegranates and kiwis and blackberries.none of his recipes are cheap or simple. i like simple.but boy-the book is fabulous.have fun with it.hugs taylor

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 15, 2007 01:20PM

Juliano is mentioned a lot on this board, especially by the female members.

I just finished looking at "gourmet" raw books and I can tell you that "Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow" by Matthew Kenney, Sarma Melngailis is very highly praised in the reviews posted. Not only that but Sarma Melngailis is a hard core hottie! (I suppose the guy on the cover is not bad looking either.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 01:23PM by VeganLife.

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: February 16, 2007 03:31AM

What is with all the negativity toward seedless fruit? Personally I wish the mad scientist behind it all would get to work on a seedless mango!

Posted by: red_willow ()
Date: February 16, 2007 04:06AM

I don't know how much the macrobiotic theory applies these days. I was raised on bananas that were flown in from half-way across the world, so I feel pretty adapted to them.

People also move around so much. My parents are from Europe, I was raised in Northern California, currently live in Southern California. Which locality am I adapted to? I don't know, I'm all for buying locally grown produce, but for different reasons.

Date: February 16, 2007 02:26PM

I'd say that environmental reasons are the best reason for buying local. But I think according to Macrobiotic theory, adaptations happen in days' time. According to how I think the theory goes, adaptations are only genetic. So even if we're traveling, it's best to eat local produce. Just my understanding.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Date: February 16, 2007 02:27PM

red_willow: I'd say that environmental reasons are the best reason for buying local. But I think according to Macrobiotic theory, adaptations happen in days' time. According to how I think the theory goes, adaptations are only genetic. So even if we're traveling, it's best to eat local produce. Maybe adaptations aren't the best word, I don't know. Just my understanding.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 16, 2007 05:03PM

Juliano is not a nice person.

Look up public records in L.A. courts. He/his company are alleged to owe alot of good people money. Even his restaurant employees.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2007 06:20PM

Hi All,

He doesn't use the dates etc. according to Dr David Jubb's theories.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 17, 2007 08:54PM

I've been reading the posts from red_willow and TroySantos. I'd like to add the following:

I think macrobiotic has something to do with being best able to handle the climate you're in at any given time. If the climate is cold, that is yin, so you're better off eating warm dry (yang) foods - or so the theory goes. If the climate is warm, that's yang, so you're better off eating juicy wet yin foods like fruit that will help keep you cool.

According to the macrobiotic theory, that's why fruit is naturally available in cooler climates only during the warmer months, and that's why fruit is naturally available year-round in the tropics.

If a person is born and raised in a cold climate and has eaten lots of yang foods (like meat and starches) their whole life, and their body is comfortable with that eating pattern, then no matter how well-adapted they are to that eating pattern, they will feel hot, sticky and sweaty if they maintain their same yang eating pattern when they take a vacation in the tropics. Local people in the tropics who are heavy meateaters have the same problem with the heat even when they're born and raised in the tropics.

If a person is born and raised in a cold climate, but they've been following a high fruit raw vegan diet, they will immediately feel absolutely wonderful when they enter the tropics.

Likewise, if a person is used to living in the tropics and being a high fruit raw food vegan, they will be more sensitive to the winter cold in Canada if they follow their regular eating pattern (though personally, I'd rather wear more clothes than eat meat or rice).

There are people who live in the tropics who claim to practice macrobiotics and yet they don't eat fruit. They're following a macrobiotic regimen developed in Japan where the weather is a lot cooler than the tropics, and that is actually not macrobiotic IMO.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2007 09:05PM by suncloud.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 17, 2007 11:23PM

well-in his cookbook-yes-he does use dates.he uses dates in 11 recipes in his cookbook.I have the book in front of me.he uses it in baklava...pg 167 and in fake cake crust and in carob mousse,and in carrot cake,inrobbins ice cream,something called mash it,different mousses and ez pudding and raw torte and vanilla mousse.thanks taylor

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 18, 2007 12:31AM

Juliana does use most of the ingredients...i bought the book last week and then saw this post which i don't understand because he goes against the receipes he creates...that seems odd to me..like a raw foodie being a chef at the local steakhouse...(To all of you befor eyou reply i know it is not the same and not a good anology but you get my point right?? he isn't practicing what he preaches...) most raw vegans practice animal rights and cooking them for others would be wrong!!
just my thoughts!
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 18, 2007 12:43AM

taylor, the book was published in 1999, that's 8 years ago. Back then he used dates and all those other foods. He has since changed his diet. Simple really!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 18, 2007 01:29AM

see now that is the info we needed haha..thanks Rob that helps a lot of us i think in or thinking he was saying one thing and doing another...so does he not use any of those things in his restaurant either do you know???
thank you
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: na(raw)dia ()
Date: February 18, 2007 04:52AM

GreenJuice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Juliano is not a nice person.
>
> Look up public records in L.A. courts. He/his
> company are alleged to owe alot of good people
> money. Even his restaurant employees.

if true, that's not good... hope everything gets resolved..!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables