Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Suggestions for a cold?
Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: February 14, 2007 03:31PM

I guess I haven't been raw long enough because I caught a MAJOR COLD from work! I'm going crazy with coughing and sneezing and runny nose. I don't like taking cold medicine but don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for a cold?
Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: February 14, 2007 04:15PM

You didn't "catch" a cold from work. You got it because your body is in a state of imbalance. The best way I overcaome colds in the past was to do a juice or water fast. NOTHING ELSE. You will move past it so much more quickly than if you continue to eat anything.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 14, 2007 04:23PM

some people at my hubbys work ate the airbonre tablets-they were foaming at the mouth cause they did not know you are suppose to put the tablets in water and drink.i hear the air-borne tablets work good.but juice sounds good too.and rest.if I get stopped up-i get a bowl of hot water and put vicks in the water and a towel over my head and breath it...till the water cools off.If i have a cough and it is just non-productive.and i can not sleep.i put vicks on my feet and the coughing almost stops right away.if i have a sore throat-i get that herbal tea called "throat coat"and i put honey in it and it helps so much.i hope u get well soon and hugs from taylor.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 14, 2007 04:54PM

Get plenty of rest and sleep, as this is where the healing occurs. If you can, call in sick and stay in bed all day. If you are not hungry, don't eat until the symptoms disappear, and drink only water. If you do eat, keep it as simple as possible.

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: February 14, 2007 05:08PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Unfortunatly I do have to go to work later. I already had breakfast but I'll try to just drink water the rest of the day.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 14, 2007 10:22PM

May I suggest that when you go home, sweat! This is an old-fashioned way of getting rid of the cold. I used to do it in my cooked days. I would go to bed, cover myself realy well and sweat. I would flip the quilt occasionally (it gets wet). Often, I would be good the next day! No pills required.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: mykmyk ()
Date: February 14, 2007 10:48PM

try raw garlicsmiling smiley!!! It always knocked out my colds. Take 2 or 3 cloves before you go to bed see what happenssmiling smiley!!

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: February 15, 2007 12:24PM

This is what I usally do:
Run three miles, take a sauna, drink an orange juice and banana soothie, go to bed.

Thanks,

Arilraw

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 15, 2007 12:42PM

I usually take a good multivitamin.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 15, 2007 06:55PM

I agree with rawgosia's and arilraw's suggestions about sauna and sweating.

Taylor's suggestion about putting vicks on the feet at night to help stop coughing sounds interesting. I wonder if eucalyptus oil and/or peppermint oil might work as well as vicks. I'm going to try that next time I get sick. Thanks Taylor!

Another suggestion for coughing at night when you can't stop is the old-fashioned vaporizer next to your bed. It's much more effective than most cough medicines. A little eucalyptus oil in the slot outside the vaprozer works well.

Elderberry extract helps, in addition to going all fruit if you can. Doing mono oranges is very good.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2007 03:22AM

taylor, i love your suggestion about vicks on the feet. i am moving across the country and looking from town to town for the place we would like to live in the summer and a few days into our adventure i came down with a horrible i-don't-know-what. my little one just had a bit of the sniffles for two days but i was OUT for at least three (fever, aches, cough, congestion, etc.) and now (1.5 weeks later) though i feel much, much better i can't seem to shake the cough or some minor congestion. i realize that the air quality here is much worse than what i am used to and that i'm very sensitive to it, and also that the air is so much colder and a wet, pervasive, penetrative cold as well, which i am also very sensitive to but... it's unusual for me to feel bad for more than a day or two.
i have a bottle of a eucalyptusy, minty kind of oil called Shilling oil that i use in place of vicks and i will try that on my feel tonight. it is wonderful on the chest so i bet it will work wonderfully on my soles as well. i have also been drinking a lot more water and have just picked up some liquid chlorophyl. i'm taking some homeopathics too so we'll see if they have a positive effect.
i know it's because of the added stress from so much upheaval and it will settle down when I settle down but i do need some energy and great health right now to deal with everything. not eating isn't an option at 21 weeks pregnant either! ha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables