Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Health problems with Raw?
Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 15, 2007 12:43AM

On another forum I'm on I had a lot of people ask me about eating raw so I made a post about it. One person's comment was:

The only studies I was able to find showed that people on Raw Food Diets have less energy, lower bone density, and irregular menstrual cycles. They found that of people who eat 100% raw food, 50% of the women had stopped menstruating completely, and 30% of the people had some sort of energy deficiency syndrome...

I hope that anyone considering this diet will go to more balanced sources for information, instead of blindly trusting lists like these on pro-Raw Food websites.

Can anyone here provide me with links to legitmate studies to give to this person? This specific person always seems to go against anything and everything that other people say/do (which is why most of the staff on the site don't like her all that much to be honest), so it probably won't help any to give her links. However, I'd love to have some at my disposable in case I meet someone like this again.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Health problems with Raw?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 15, 2007 09:09AM

You always get people like this trying to discredit raw. I think the best thing to do is ignore them!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: February 15, 2007 11:43AM

no period sounds great to me.

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: February 15, 2007 01:16PM

Yea, Well..

Let's start with narrowing down WHO starts Raw food, and or vegan approach..

1.People who ARE ALREADY sick or Health aware.
Now why would one be more sensitive to his/hers health needs at all?

.. PROBABLY No.1 cause would be: DISEASE, i 'd guess No.2 would be:shock/ experience of a close person suffering and helplessness of doctors in helping to heal one's "pain".

2.Ideology driven, passionate people, that oftentimes FORGET about THEIR Needs, and put someone else's interest/goal before their own needs: producing people which DO NOT PAY Attention to their diet/life in general.
Again, often they get sick because of it, and start to look for an alternative approach to diet, health, since following official "Regulations" as to how much sleep, food, vitamins, proteins Human needs to be AND STAY Healthy..

Having NO CHANCE to go to a doctor and get SOLID SUPPORT, advice, and HOLISTIC Approach to their SPECIFIC Needs, they only can get a "LOOK" and :"You're crazy" Treatment from their local, insurance paid doctor..

Anyone is still up for "judging" "raw food people"?

..Same story goes up for vegan/vegetarian people and their "diet" caused health problems, which are BIASED by their "HISTORY" of poisoning themselves with standard refined grain/sugar, meat based diets, often going on for 20, 30 years.

We ALL Need to realize, that sometimes you can destroy your health COMPLETELY, get poisoned eating refined products/diary/meat only for 5 YEARS(!), and become ill for the rest of your life.

above sentence is an ESTIMATE.. and as such may be OFF by a couple of Years, meaning that 5 years before i poison myself with "RDA" food, can be only(!!!) 2 years for YOU, as it depends on your current condition of your internal organs, like kidneys, and liver to begin with.

In case of My father it took 6 months of "atkins" diet to become an INCURABLE DIABETIC type I

Children can become poisoned BEFORE they EVER get a chance to put "ANY" allowed poison in their mouth..

It's enough for mother to use cosmetics,or household chemistry that contained extremely toxic type of alcohol or other substance, in an "ALLOWED", non deadly, not detectable and not causing any external symptoms on a healthy person, in doses contained in them.

If a child will be exposed before it can defend itself toxic substances have 1000 times bigger impact on HEALTH AND CAN 1000 FASTER destroy health BEYOND point of being able to recover: producing mutation. (...)

SO..
let's not choose from "sick people", or feeling some kind of ailment to "see" how many of them are healthy. we'll get about 25% "healthy".. the rest is still experimenting with kinds of food, types of treatments etc.... being left out ALONE to figure out for themself HOW to escape "the life With drugs", or life with incurable disease.

so most of "US" are struggling, but almost ALL of us who are open minded and carefull when choosing raw food(versus being too emotional, and too quickly jumping at "things", cures), ARE feeling better, and recovering from "incurable" to ENJOYABLE Life..

and let's not overlook, when some person is looking, or making US to look at ONLY ONE side of thing, trying to NOT include CRUCIAL Facts determining outcome of IT...

winking smiley

Power to choose IS a power to CHANGE smiling smiley

Oh, I shall add.. it is MY Opinion Only... winking smiley

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: February 15, 2007 06:28PM

I have read that menstruating is the body getting rid of the toxins, cleaning the body for the baby. One girl commented she was still ovulating even though she wasn't menstruating.

Thanks to Bryan recommending Douglas Graham website I read some information that answered that study on bone density. There's alot of info in the purple bar on his site which answers alot of questions.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: February 15, 2007 07:08PM

In my humble opinion people can start to experience a downward spiral in health if they don't eat a variety of rawfoods.

What I'm saying is eating bananas, apples, oranges, romaine and sunflower seeds everyday will stop you in your tracks and cause health problems.

When I had a basic (basic meaning the common fruits and veggies most of the time) rawfood eating habit it began wearing on me.

I eat so many different fruits and greens it is unthinkable...........

Open the flood gates and eat to your hearts content. Give interesting and odd looking fruits/veggies a chance.

I'm pretty sure most on here (especially experienced ones) will agree to this.

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2007 07:12PM by rawdev.

Posted by: red_willow ()
Date: February 15, 2007 10:16PM

Connie Boo, I heard that too, how a woman claimed to be ovulating but not menstruating. Can someone explain that too me? I thought the point of menstruation was to expell the unfertilized egg and make room for the new ovum. Wouldn't she just have a huge backlog of ova?

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: February 16, 2007 03:33AM

I think it was Shirley's Wellness Cafe where she said that she no longer has periods..that periods are unnatural. This was quite shocking to me and I don't really accept it at this point...but who knows maybe she is right.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: February 16, 2007 04:31PM

Interesting about menstruation....I used to have serious issues with getting my period once every 2 weeks. Just recently, I quit menstruating completely. I have my yearly exam appointment on Monday, so I plan on asking my midwife about it. I would know if I was pregnant, so that's not it. I wonder if it is because of my raw diet?? Hmm.....

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: February 16, 2007 07:42PM

I found this information today.

Archives of Internal Medicine March 28, 2005 Luigi Fontana MD PHD

It has long been thought that low bone mass is usually a sign of the bone thinning disease osteoporosis, and that it certainly increases ones risk for fractures. But a recent study at Washington University School of Medicine is St Louis, which published in March 28 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine, found that although people who follow a raw vegan diet had lower bone mass than those eating a more typical American diet, their bones were healthy with normal "turnover rates", and with no signs of osteoporosis. The raw food vegan group studied had less inflammation indicated by low levels C-reactive protein which is made by liver as a response to inflammation in the body. They also had lower levels of IGF-1, one of the most powerful growth factors regulated by calorie and protein intake. High levels of IGF-1 have been linked to risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer

Bone mass is not necessarily the best indicator of bone health, as this study shows. Normal turnover rates and the absence of osteoporosis are the best biomarkers of overall bone health. And of all the thousands of hormones that occur in animals, only one hormone is identical in 2 different species, the two species are: human and cow,, the hormone:IGF-1. All dairy products contain IGF-1. To give yourself the best odds of avoiding cancer, avoid consuming IGF-1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables