Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bloating from fruit??
Posted by: debbie ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:15PM

since eating more fruit and less nuts and seeds (fruit all day then big salad for dinner) i seem to be much more bloated. what am i doing wrong?? i switched over to more fruit due to getting ill more often than i thought i should and because of what i read on this board.
thanks for any advice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bloating from fruit??
Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:33PM

Are you eating too much at once? Are you not waiting long enough between meals? It sounds like the fruit is fermenting in your stomach. Try eating smaller meals and waitng several hours between. Be sure your stomach feels empty and wait a bit longer.

You might need to take enzymes in the short run until your body catches up. Or do as Bryan might suggest and do a water fast.

Bryan?

Date: February 15, 2007 03:44PM

thankyou
yes i do tend to over eat this is very true and snack constantly but am snacking on fruit instead of nuts etc now but definetly seem to be having more indigestion then before.
i am considering doing the master cleanse at some point.....

Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: February 15, 2007 03:46PM

Then it sounds like your solution is to eat less at a time and wait longer between eating.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 15, 2007 04:03PM

debbie,

The other thing is when you eat fruit, are you eating different kinds of fruit? Certain fruits don't mix well together, and they slow down each others digestion. Ideally, each fruit meal will be just one kind of fruits, say like a meal of 6 navel oranges or a meal of 5 bananas.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 15, 2007 04:24PM

Bryan is correct. Certain kinds of fruit do not mix well. Fruit is also fast-digesting (for the most part) and should be eaten first....rather than eating a fast-digesting food right after a slow one.

-David Z. Mason

Date: February 15, 2007 04:30PM

thanks bryan
well no i havent been doing that at all! i've been eating bowls of mixed fruit (trying to replace my midday salad i guess) and often dried fruit as well. i understand that this is not good food combining! my problem is that i have been very much of the rainbow cuisine 'camp' but now feel the time is nigh to rethink the way i eat. having read what you and everyone else has been saying about a higher fruit approach i wanted to give it a try. i guess i'll have to try the mono eating thing. with eating in that way what is the acceptable time to leave between eating? (bearing in mind i'm a bit of compulsive snacker and don't want to fall off the wagon at were!) imean do you still eat 3 times a day or more or less??

Posted by: ela ()
Date: February 16, 2007 04:33AM

Debbie,

This is a wonderful thing you're doing for yourself. It's great that you're so open to exploring this.

I find that I generally eat 2-3 times per day, and most people I know that eat this way do similarly. I do snack occasionally but honestly my digestion is better if I eat meals rather than snacks. Otherwise, one fruit is chasing another and it's as if my stomach doesn't quite know what it's supposed to be doing.

Another thing I was wondering was whether your fruit is fully ripe? I could imagine getting bloating from eating underripe fruit.

For me, apples don't work very well, unless they're very sweet and soft (what a lot of folks might reject as mealy). They can definitely give me some uncomfortable stomach feelings.

Another thing that doesn't work at all in my belly, although I love the taste of it, is the combination of oranges and bananas.

Those are just some of my experiences - hope they might be some help!
love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Date: February 16, 2007 08:42AM

thanks ela
how much fruit do you eat at one time? do you eat 'mono'? living in the south of france there is not much seasonal fruit at this time of year apart from apples and pears. i don't feel very comfortable buying imported fruit. i thought it was always better to eat locally and in season.? i was trying to eat just fruit til evening then have salad for dinner.
what about dessert? i mean i know it's not good to eat fruit after anything else so what else could one eat?
cheers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables