Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What was the one or two weird eating habits ya...
Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: August 09, 2007 05:42PM

Food/fruit I eat now, like I mentioned before I’ll eat the banana rind and when eating an apple I'll eat the skin first all the way around then eat the rest. I do this to make sure I chew the skin real well (we all know the skin has more if not most of the nutrients).

Back to the ramen noodles, back in the starving student days not only was eating the noodles right out of the package good but the spice/seasoning went a long way for me in flavoring other food up.
Ever sprinkle the seasoning on something else?
I use to put in on popcorn & cooked potatoes, didn’t matter the package flavor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 09, 2007 05:43PM

One time I got a chocolate caramel bar - Mars or Snickers or something. I opened one end of the wrapper really carefully and pulled out the bar. Then I made one just like it out of mud and slipped it back inside the wrapper and closed it up.

I gave it to the neighborhood bully. He looked at it and said, "Why'd you give me this?" I said, "No reason, I just thought you'd like it! (big smile)".

He took it out of the wrapper and took a bite. You should have seen the look on his face!

I RAN!

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 09, 2007 08:40PM

Wow, that's so sad..... I bet he never had anyone to trust.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: August 09, 2007 09:09PM

...eating many things uncooked right out of the bag, esp. Tortellinis (both fresh and hard ones).
...being a total sucker for thick warm bread with loads of butter and salt.Loaves and Loaves....
...using mustard as a condiment or dressing or sauce for almost anything except pasta.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 09, 2007 09:24PM

aquadecoco wrote: Oh and in France we used to buy a baguette stuffed with french fries

That's big in New Orleans except its called a french fry po'boy and is usually dripping in mayo and brown gravy.

khale

Date: August 09, 2007 11:09PM

My fat cells just jumped.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 10, 2007 02:53AM

I just read this outloud to my non-raw husband who commented on how good it sounded LOL!!!...I just wanted to gag!

Date: August 10, 2007 08:33AM

Hi aquadecoco,

I hope you don't feel too sad for Charlie (the bully). He had a big family, and everyone else was really nice, including the parents.

He was several years older than me, and he and a couple of other bigger boys used to throw rocks and crabapples at us little kids. We'd never know when we were about to be attacked. Hopefully it was just a phase he was going through.

Speaking of weird foods though, Charlie's mother really like weird foods. His little sister brought me into their kitchen once and showed me a jar of their mother's chocolate covered ants.

I think it was a 50's fad for a while to eat weird foods, and chocolate covered ants were a big item. Anyone else remember chocolate covered ants?

Date: August 10, 2007 05:02PM

I feel sorriest for the bullied kids, - I was just looking at the whole picture knowing that all bullies feel uncared for deep down. My older brother was a bully - still is but sneakily, now. It takes almost more compassion than I have to deal with it.,,,,I have to remind myself that he's emotionally retarded,

RE: chocolate ants ,,,,, Never saw them, they were only a legend when I was a child! So they really did exist,,,

Date: August 10, 2007 05:51PM

You're right aquadecoco. I never really thought about it that way before regarding bullies. I wonder what Charlie's doing now.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: August 11, 2007 05:21AM

Wow, this has been a good read. It's nice to a lot of us came from the same place food-wise! And some of them do still sound good.

Some of my old favorites:

*McD's fries dipped in their chocolate shake

*My main breakfast in high school was a la 7-11: a coca cola slurpee and either a twinkie or those little 6-pack hostess mini doughnuts (chocolate or powdered sugar covered)

*what a treat: the greasy FAT that i loved to nibble off the edge of MICROWAVED BACON!! That was the best part!!

*cold pizza for breakfast. YUM.

*Like someone else mentioned, when i was little i also used to squish white bread down so it was more moist and chewy instead of fluffy. i also liked to put a chunk of cheese then a wad of cream cheese on the bread, roll it up and squish it down into a little treat.

*man, i do remember eating those powdered-sugar-in-a-straw treats. What's up with that? And also the packets of flavored sugar with that candy-dipping-stick. i also loved to eat straight sugar cubes. OH YEAH! I remember when I was litle I would always crawl onto the counter, get into the cupboard and spoon out nestle cocoa mix or whatever and eat it straight. One time I did this and didn't realize it was baking (bitter) chocolate. WHOOPS!!

*Those darn vitamin marketers, I remember loving to chow down those flavored Flinstones vitamins, and years later I enjoyed eating the flavored Tums (for the calcium!).

I'm sure there are so many more. Thanks to this thread for that trip down SAD memory lane.

Love,
Uma

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2007 05:23AM by uma.

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: August 12, 2007 02:13AM

i liked jelly on eggs too.
i ate paste when i was in kindergarten.
i eat garlic gloves whole to this day. everyone thinks it's wierd but i love it, just like parsley, people don't understand the benefits, but i just like the taste.
b.b.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 12, 2007 04:39AM

brokenbrooke Wrote:
> i eat garlic gloves whole to this day. everyone
> thinks it's wierd but i love it, just like
> parsley, people don't understand the benefits, but
> i just like the taste.
> b.b.

same here! i love them too!
patty

Posted by: howellbe ()
Date: August 12, 2007 08:52AM

I put ketchup on my mac and cheese too! it was soy cheese as I'm allergic to dairy, but it still tasted the same.

Every Hanukkah for only those 8 days my mother would makes us Jewish food like latkes, special applesauce, Borscht, Knishes and bagels n' lox. very not vegan. I always dipped my latkes (potato pancakes) in my mothers applesauce.
my parents thought it was very strange.

I also poured sprite over a bowl of pretzels and let it sit for an hour. they looked like worms and I had to eat it with a spoon but it was amaaazing.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 12, 2007 03:42PM

ahhh mac an cheese .. reminds me of the pots an pots of Kraft dinner with huge heaping talble spoons of flaming hot dijon mustard mixed up

*gag* lol .. cripes what was i thinking lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 12, 2007 03:48PM

sprite on pretzels!!!!!!! ack!!!!!!!!!! now cheese whiz straight from the can to the tongue is another story! or dr pepper heated and drank like tea....yum
patty

Posted by: Miss_Tanya ()
Date: August 12, 2007 10:25PM

Crinkle cut edam cheese in milky tea. Individually, these were the favourite foods of my friend and I - so we thought it would be nice to combine the two. We thought that cutting the cheese with a crinkle cutter made it taste better.

My mother thought that all children needed to eat liver, but my brother and I hated it. So she used to blend it up in her pancake mix and produce these horrible, grey pancakes with maple syrup. As if we wouldn't notice!

I love the crust of bread. The chewier, the better. I'd be happy to eat the crust and feed the rest to the birds. However, this has given me a problem as a raw-vegan-wannabe - what to chew? But hooray for Fruitgirl. Mango skins! You're a genius.

Date: August 13, 2007 08:36AM

My mother was into "organ foods" too:

Once a week we had to eat liver or kidneys. She also gave us cow tongue!

She never made sauces or casseroles or used spices or anything, so it was just the cooked meat on a plate. The cow tongue even still had the little tongue bumps on the top. It was like you just knew the cow saliva was still there too.

Sometimes she even cooked cow brains, but I think she knew she crossed the line on that one, because she never made us eat them (thanks Mom).

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: August 13, 2007 02:11PM

A friend and I used to cut raw carrots up into coins and top them with grated marble cheese to make little "sandwiches." I totally forget where we got the idea to do that, but it was really really good! Salty and sweet.

I used to do the squished-bread thing too! That was when I was little; later on, I would take a whole slice of bread, nibble off the crust, then mash cottage cheese on the centers and roll it up and squish it down.

Man, this thread should come with a warning: do not read if prone to hunger or nostalgia! winking smiley

Date: August 14, 2007 02:36AM

I find it strange that several of us, as kids, independently enjoyed squished bread, and more than one of us put cheese in the middle. Where did we come up with that?

Howellbe, applesauce with latkes strange? i used to love 'em that way. and sour cream too.

sprite on pretzels, sounds strange but i can see the appeal!

i remembered another love: magic shell--that chocolate stuff you'd pour on ice cream and it would instantly turn hard. i don't even want to know the ingredients.

love,
uma

Date: August 14, 2007 02:56AM

uma Wrote:
-
> i remembered another love: magic shell--that
> chocolate stuff you'd pour on ice cream and it
> would instantly turn hard. i don't even want to
> know the ingredients.
>
> love,
> uma

oh yea! that stuff was good!
patty

Date: August 14, 2007 04:01AM

i just remembered why the sprite & pretzel thing was resonating with me. I loved to take a mouthful of popcorn, then take a sip of sprite or 7-up and feel it dissolve in my mouth. Kind of similar.

Love,
Uma

Date: August 14, 2007 04:33PM

I copied the ingredients from a commercial brand of hardening chocolate to make a better quality version at home.

The ingredient that hardens it is none other than .....coconut oil!

The ingredients were pretty much: chocolate, sugar and coconut oil, if I remember correctly.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: August 14, 2007 07:07PM

Geeze I just suppressed my laughter so hard about the pretzels and Sprite and the liver pancakes. The pancake thing is a strategy I use too in different ways, it's been "perfected into an artform" by this chef, she published a book about it "The sneaky chef".
Mmmmh, used to love cow tongue as a child

Posted by: Miss_Tanya ()
Date: August 14, 2007 07:23PM

The sneaky chef! Hmmm, maybe my mother has a copy of that hidden somewhere. Last Christmas, she gave me turkey soup and told me it was 100% vegan vegetable soup. Then I found bones in it, and it was confirmed by all the guests that it was, indeed, turkey. With my brother, it was about branded products. For example, my brother used to insist on Flora margarine, so my mother would buy cheap stuff and put it neatly into the Flora container. Now she's racking her brains for new ideas to make him eat vegetables. Any ideas?

I used to squish bread too - well, roll it down with a rolling pin. Then I'd spread it with chocolate spread, roll it up and slice it to make pinwheals.

Ah, chocolate spread and peanut butter. I used to eat them straight out of the jar. Sometimes I'd eat a whole jar of peanut butter in one go . . .

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: August 14, 2007 07:38PM

When my mom would make banana nut bread I couln't
wait for the bread to bake so I'd eat the bater.

A lot of people seem to like crushing saltine crackers
with soups or chili.

So far, I've already read about the Ketchup with
Mac & Cheese and Eggs. A friend would use ketchup
for his chili and tacos (didn't matter the kind of
taco either)...

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 14, 2007 10:21PM

I was the undisputed South Florida Master of Spam! Hee hee. Spam sandwiches...spam burgers......stir-fry spam......

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 14, 2007 11:55PM

lemoned wrote: Mmmmh, used to love cow tongue as a child

ohmygod! me too! I wasn't going to admit to that..hehe
and I actually ASKED for liver! as a kid! But then my father used to brag, "this kid will eat anything", and it was true.

khale

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 15, 2007 02:19PM

spam spam spam spam eggs and spam spam sspam spam !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:33PM

this thread is funny.
i just thought of something else..
bolgna and cheese microwaved...
uggh i can't even imagine eating bolgna now,
but then it was delicious....

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables