Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mono quest/fest!!*
Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: February 15, 2007 10:12PM

Hi all

Well here I go ...FINALLY,

the last box of bananas ripend too fast so I froze most of em for banana ice cream (run through a greenstar)

I have my second box beautifully ripened now!!

SO far I ate

9 bananas
1 romaine heart

I'm off the teach a spin class at 6:30

Bryan, I know you suggest to eat ONLY bananas, but I have about 8-9 pomello's down there that I bought on sale, so later tonight I will have one - MONO of course!!

I really need all your support - I want to do this, I just hope that glaze doesn't go into my brain where I just don't care....

My grains are ALL in a cupboard with a LOCK on it..YES a lock..thanx to my hubby!

I do have a house full of bananas...

Concern about mono - how do you keep fruit ripe and fresh long enough and on a proper rotation that you don't have to wait days or even weeks for it to ripen?

I live in Canada,

I buy pineapples, sharon fruit, mangoes, papaya, plaintains , bananas and sometimes have to wait 1-2 weeks for them to ripen!!

I'm afraid of buying 4-5 weeks worth because of them going bad...

I guess I have to experiment...

I am scared of the day coming when I don't have any ripe fruit around...

How do you plan?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mono quest/fest!!*
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 15, 2007 11:18PM

It takes practice. In my 2+2 family, each loving fruit, I must make sure that we have a good supply. As far as bananas, we always have a box (13kg) in advance. The wall cupboard used by the prveious owners for glasses and plates, is our banana cupboard. It holds about two boxes of bananas. Luke got rid of the glass door and installed mesh instead. We have fruit all over our kitchen, on plates, in baskets, on the cabinets. Some ripe, some ripening. More fruit in the fridge, so that it won't go off. Watermelon, or purple grapes that we will eat in a few days. And greens. So, buying fruit in advance is my standard practice. When I notice that the amount of fruit is getting low (and I can estimate how much we can eat), then I go and buy more!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 16, 2007 12:15AM

Why nine bananas? If they were that nutritious you would not need 9. They are not, they cannot survive on their own for a day or two, they are too weak, the nutrients are in decaying state once they are ripe. If you have to eat fruits there must be some varieties and other fruits.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: February 16, 2007 02:36AM

Bryan suggested that I eat banana's only for a week...I assume this is graham's standard practice since someone else on here mentioned that....

I actually ended up eating

13 bananas
2 pomellos

maybe Bryan can answer about nutrients in banana's?

Date: February 16, 2007 03:32AM

Just common sense. Why would someone eat a high sugar fruit for a week?

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: February 16, 2007 04:44AM

rawrnr....yah, keeping fruit ripe and ready takes some practice....i go to the store often and buy bananas at different stages of ripeness so that it works out...
its actually sort of fun....and i am getting pretty good at it...i did 11 days of bananas and water...the first few were tough...dealing with my caffeine addiction and some other stuff...then i was more that happy and content with my banana meals..sometimes blended...sometimes not...then i started adding in greens and other fruit...i am doing well on this program...starting to understand more about hunger....cravings....addictions....it has heightened my taste sensitivity and my committment to the lifestyle...i really love eating mono...it really is simple and works well

i am also a teacher and a serious work out girl...801010 resonates with me and i really enjoy it...

djatchi...yes common sense has led me to eat high sugar for 22 days...it digests quickly and goes through my system beautifully....because there are no overt fats stopping or slowing the process....speaking of common sense....what is your personal experience with this...have you tried doing it??? i would love to hear more about what and why you consider that common sense...from where i stand...what you say actually makes no sense...

be well...

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 16, 2007 07:18AM

Brian, do you have a nutritional breakdown on bananas, and why they are so superior to go mono with for a week? Like some studies or facts about banana fasting...other than Dr. Graham please. Thanks! smiling smiley I may learn something here.

BTW TMI~ Bananas constipate me real bad. Everything is great, than I eat 1 banana, and things slow down ALOT. Yes, they are ripe.

djatchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just common sense. Why would someone eat a high
> sugar fruit for a week?

Date: February 16, 2007 10:28AM

Here is a quote from Dr. Graham on the 80/10/10 diet [www.foodnsport.com]. It contains fundamental flaws

All of the creatures that are anatomically and physiologically like us (known as the anthropoid primates: gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees, and bonobos) thrive on a low-fat diet that is predominated by fruits and vegetables. Their caloronutrient ratios closely approximate 80/10/10. With the exception of the gorilla, whose great weight makes it almost impossible to climb the skinny branches of trees to procure fruit, they get more than 80% of their calories from the carbohydrates in fruit. The combined caloronutrient average for chimpanzees, bonobos, and orangutans is about 88/7/5. Add in the gorilla’s numbers, which come closer to 70% carbohydrate, and the average decreases, making the ratio almost exactly 80/10/10 for all of our anthropoid relatives.
The flaws are:

1. Animals in the wild do not just eat fruits and vegetables, they eat termintes, insects. Very critical point.

[naturalhygienesociety.org]
[www.nature.com]
[www.berggorilla.org]
[library.thinkquest.org]

2. The fruits and vegetables they eat are fresh, just taken from growing plants. The bananas we have around us were harvested weeks before not given time to ripen, soft, too weak, lacking in nutrients.

Fasting on bananas for a week will yield good results but it is not the bananas, it is the fasting, the system is resting and can tolorate a high dose of sugar. You would get even better results if you were fasting on water alone for a week.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2007 10:37AM by djatchi.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 16, 2007 01:41PM

djatchi,

1. The Graham quote you provided didn't say that other primates eat only fruits and vegetables.

2. I agree, and I think most people would, that the fruits and vegetables that most people eat are not ideal. Maybe they're good enough to do the job.

Fasting on bananas is an oxymoron. Fasting, at least my understanding of the way it was in the past, meant drinking only water, having no solid foods or anything else go into one's mouth other than water.

For me, these are the attractions to eating only bananas for a period of time

- I'll get physically full
- I might get satiated as well
- I'll get energy to do work (which I won't have from a water fast)
- I'll get nutrition, even though I doubt it'd supply all the nutrients a person would need for a week.

The idea of doing this for a short time, time enough to work on some internal things, is very appealing to me.

Right now, tangerines are still cheap, and persimmons are still relatively cheap. So, I'm not considering the banana only thing just yet.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: February 16, 2007 04:01PM

TroySantos,
Graham diet is based on the observed eating habits of the primates

Their caloronutrient ratios closely approximate 80/10/10. With the exception of the gorilla, whose great weight makes it almost impossible to climb the skinny branches of trees to procure fruit, they get more than 80% of their calories from the carbohydrates in fruit.
But 80/10/10 is silent on the observed facts these primates eat ants, insects, and terminates. How does 80/10/10 provides for that, thru supplementation?
80/10/10 may be fine as a cleansing diet in the short run.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 16, 2007 04:09PM

I haven't read the book so I woulnd't want to comment on it. I wanted to comment on your comment regarding the quote you provided. So, in response to your question, "No comment."!

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: February 16, 2007 04:44PM

rawrrr....

in my experience bananas that are not fully ripe will constipate me....even with the slightest part of green on them.....they do not work for me....

i will only eat them when they are completely freckled and beat up looking....then all is smooth with elimination...

Date: February 16, 2007 06:54PM

Please don't insult my intelligence, I said they were ripe.... VERY RIPE! I always get my bananas on sale BECAUSE they are ripe and speckled.... I've tryed them in various stages of ripeness, and simply, BANANAS CONSTIPATE ME TERRIBLY!!

Please, don't try to make something work, that simply does not work. Bananas don't jive with me in any stage of ripeness.

When I wrote my comment above, I KNEW, that I would get feedback on the fact that the banana was not ripe enough, even though I stated CLEARLY that it was ripe. I know what a ripe banana is, I'm 43, I'm not a stupid idiot......

The banana fasting thing is a joke to me. Very humorous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2007 06:57PM by Rawrrr!.

Date: February 16, 2007 07:36PM

Wow rawrrr...i really did not mean to offend you in my earlier post...and i don't think your a stupid idiot at all....i was not even going there....

if bananas don't work for you...they don't work for you....i get it....
i am sure other things will work better....

the only thing humerous about the banana mono eating thing is my energy, love for fruits and vegetables, and happiness....its all about being happy....

you sound so pist off....

Date: February 16, 2007 08:21PM

That is because I had 2 "perfectlyspeckled ripe bananas with absolutely no green" and they constipated me. No bliss in that. I'll be happier once I go back to my non-Dr. Graham/Bryan raw diet, back to 2-3 BM's a day.... Sorry for the grumpiness.

Date: February 17, 2007 01:04AM

ok rawrrr....thanks....hope you feel better....i too am quite grumpy when i am constipated...2-3 BM's a day sounds wonderful....

does it help at all if banana's are blended?? or is it the same result for you??

Posted by: Felix ()
Date: February 17, 2007 01:50AM

djatchi, what daily diet have you found that works for you?

Date: February 17, 2007 02:37AM

Felix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> djatchi, what daily diet have you found that works
> for you?

I had serious health problems when I was in grad school. I came to raw food after reading Dr. Norman Walker and Ann Wigmore. What they wrote made sense to me but I do not follow a particular diet or guru.

The fundamental principle in my diet is that nutrients and food has to come from growing plants. They carry a life principle that is fresh and raw. Wild animals get their nutrients from flowers, fruits, leaves from growing plants and trees. The next fundamental principle for me is that greens contain more nutrients than fruits. I do eat fruits but not in the 80 percent ratio.

I grow indoor greens(sunflower, buckwheat and wheatgrass) and have been doing this for 15 years. The greens are taken from their trays fresh and raw, still growing for making salad, green smoothies or juices. Nothing can beat that. There are some greens that I buy (celery, beet greens, turnip, spinach, ..)

I am into exercise, yoga, colon health, massage, meditation and very busy work schedule. No health problem in 15 years.

I am not a vegan and not even interested in that label. My goal is to be and remain healthy.

Posted by: Felix ()
Date: February 17, 2007 02:43AM

Thank you for your response, djatchi!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 22, 2007 11:48PM

Rawrnr,

The reason I picked bananas is because they have a lot of calories and they are universally available in North America. If you have another high calorie fruit that you like and is easily available, say like mangos, that would also work.

The issue you are having is that you are experiencing tons of cravings and then needing to revert back to eating cooked foods. You also have been transition for a few years, and yet are never satiated or satisfied with eating only raw foods.

With bananas, since each one has about 100 calories, it is possible to meet your energy requirements with only bananas without having to eat tons of them. If you need 2000 calories, it takes 20 bananas. But if you were to use oranges, it might take 40 oranges rather than just 20 bananas.

If you been eating high raw for a few years, you probably have lots of minerals from all the salads and greens you have been eating over the last few years. So while bananas may not have all the minerals you need, for short term, this isn't going to matter.

I wanted you to have the experience of mono eating, just eating one food at a meal until you are full, to see if you can experience the satiation that most raw foodists who do this experience. It is very different than eating food until you cannot stuff another ounce of food into your belly.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 22, 2007 11:54PM

Rawrrr!

This experience of mono eating does not have to be done with bananas. You could use whatever high calorie fruit that you have available. In the US right now, all the high calorie fruits are imported, like mangos and bananas, and the local fruits like oranges and apples don't have as many calories, so it takes many more of them to get the the point of satisfaction.

If your current diet is serving you, you don't need to play or experiment with mono eating (unless you want to). Bananas are not a requirement. But having a fruit that is plentiful, cheap, and with enough calories is a requirement. By the way, using avocados is not considered an appropriate fruit as they contain mostly fat rather than carbohydrates.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables