Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

plantains
Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: February 16, 2007 03:19AM

Hi, does anyone eat these raw? I've never tried them, but I'm certainly curious as they look delicious, ripening alongside the cavendish bananas. However I've heard they need to be cooked, so I figured who better to clear it up than you all. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: plantains
Date: February 16, 2007 03:30AM

I have eaten them raw once the skin turns really really dark (when the starch has turned to sugar) Green plantain or pale yellow is usually cooked because its so starchy at that stage.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: ela ()
Date: February 16, 2007 03:44AM

Hey, there was a thread about exactly this real recently - I'm sure if you do a search it'll come straight up.

Plantains are delicious! But you do have to wait until the skin is pretty much completely black and the fruit is soft. It is then like a much richer version of banana. I hope you'll get to enjoy one soon, or several! They can just be a little hard to ripen - sometimes you have to just eat parts and throw parts away as it doesn't get ripe all the way through.

Obviously, this is referring to the situation in the US/northern countries where they are imported having been picked v green - might be quite different in their home territory.

love
Ela

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Date: February 16, 2007 10:57PM

oh great another delicious food to enjoy. I swear this diet gets better and better. Sorry about posting the same question, I went back four pages and saw nothing... but forgot about the search button! ok.

Date: February 17, 2007 10:54PM

I just finished my very first one, it was 95% black on the outside, and yielded to a gentle squeeze. It was one of the most wonderful food experiences I've ever had, to be honest. It was totally ripe and delicious, very dense and pink inside, like a red banana, but moister, and 100 times better. Thanks for the feedback, and I encourage everyone to pick at least one up if you are curious and can find them!

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: February 18, 2007 02:46AM

For those of you who, like me, are sensitive to bananas, do you find you get the same reaction from plantains?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables