Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Someone want to be my RAW mentor?
Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 17, 2007 09:26PM

I have fallen behind in eating raw. I had previously been up to about 85%, but this week I have eaten all cooked because we were having money troubles (old car was a gas hog and on it's last leg so we had to buy a new car) and I was just eating things we already had in the house rather than going grocery shopping. But now we're fine again and will be for a while (my fiance just closed a great deal at his work, which is going to be great for us financially).

Anyhow, so my point is that this is all very hard for me. I don't have very much support in this decision and all I ever hear outside of raw forums is criticism. I've always had problems with trying to make others happy instead of making myself happy and I think that I try to avoid ridicule by just eating cooked when I want to eat raw. But I don't want to do that anymore. I also found that even when I did eat raw - I wasn't eating nearly ENOUGH. I would eat maybe a cucumber, an orange, and a banana...after a week or so I kind of felt like crap but figured it was detox. Now I am thinking that I wasn't eating enough to nourish myself.

I'm going to be starting a new blog (well, a livejournal) to keep track of my diet from now on, and I was really hoping that I could get someone here to be sort of a raw mentor for me. Basically someone to read my journal and post comments telling me what I could change, or even just to offer encouragement. I'll have the journal set to allow anonymous comments so that really anyone who wants to can comment (whether they have a livejournal or not).

Would anyone be interested in helping me with this?
If so please let me know and I'll give the URL once I get the blog up. I will probably end up also posting it in my sig. in case anyone ever gets curious to click and wants to give me some kind words.

thanks in advance smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Someone want to be my RAW mentor?
Date: February 17, 2007 09:44PM

Hi Christi!

I'm not sure I'd be a good mentor (as there are lots of others here on this board who have been raw for much longer) but I would be happy to follow your journal and comment! I have a blog too so we could support each other maybe?

<3

Lisa

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 18, 2007 04:56PM

Why not post on the Raw Diary forum on this website? There are lots of us that are current and posting on each other's diarys.

Reading other's diarys helps also.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 18, 2007 05:13PM

Oh I didn't even think of that lol. I'll probably post there and also on my myspace. I was going to do livejournal but for some reason it keeps coming up saying I'm under 13 and my parents need to verify that I can use the account...but I'm 21...I think they have a glitch.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 18, 2007 05:33PM

I know this is s challenge when you are younger, but if you talk to people in a way that does not open yourself up to critcism you will get a lot less of it. When I talk to people about homeschool, raw food or whatever the case may be I say things matter of factly and if they argue or critsize I completely shut them down, change the subject or walk away. Be strong in your convictions and people will show more respect for them. When you are doing sdomething unnconventional some people feel like they have streangth in numbers to be confrontational. Remember how unhealthy their numbers are and there is no streangth in that. I will always be happy to support you, although I am just learning here. You are off to a great start. You are sixteen years ahead of me. I am glad to hear finances are getting beter. Isn't it sad that eating healthy costs more?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 19, 2007 02:16AM

I don't know that eating raw foods costs more..maybe in beginning because you are trying out new things, combos, and fancy recipes.

I find once people are long term raw fooders they have really pared down the amount and variety of raw foods..just seems like that to me.

I used to think eating healthy was costly because I was eating cooked, and in order to eat better on cooked you think of things like quality beef, whole dairy products, lots of veggies including salads.

Now, I think eating healthy means filling up on fresh fruits, tender young greens or green juice, a few nuts and or almond butter, and some yummy dates.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 19, 2007 02:55AM

Thankfully I've learned early the more simple the better. I'd much rather eat whole foods than make recipes.
As of now I've started blogging things on my raw myspace (http://www.myspace.com/rawtermelon) so yea smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 19, 2007 03:57AM

Coconut Chronicles, you guys are just so hot, I can't stand it. Great photo!

/

raw food costs less because you never have to go to the doctors ever.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 19, 2007 12:38PM

yeah, i agree with coconutcream

raw is pretty cheap
compared to buying stuff like meat, fish, pizza, ( what its like 16 dollars or something for a pizza pie? )

green veggies are pretty cheap
i should know
i get them all the time
and they're tons cheaper than cooked foods ( already prepared foods)
or packaged foods

cooked foods is very expensive
and also in the long run like coconutcream said
you have your health on your side
and that is worth billions in beautifully energized blood cells

Date: February 19, 2007 03:25PM

We are a family of five, three being kids. The kids and I have been vegetarian for years. Our food bill is considerably more expensive now that we are raw. We are eating very simply, but nuts are a big part of our diet and expense. We eat mostly fruit, nuts and wraps or salads. When I do prepare things it is always simple. Raw has made me not want to be in the kitchen so much and I am so inspired to be doing other projects now. We are hoping that our food bill will get better but I don't see how that will happen. The kids are growing and will eat what they need to to thrive. We won't save on doctor bills, except in the long run, because we treat everything at home and always have. Also organic is way more expensive, at least where we live. Our cheapest nuts are $7 a pound and we never paid that for my husband meat.

Date: February 20, 2007 12:36AM

See...I dont see how you guys are getting stuff for this cheap. Typically with cooked foods and mostly prepackaged we spent about $200 MAX on groceries for the two of us per month. With raw, not even buying organic - but just conventional, I spent $50 and it was only enough to last me 4-5 days at most. That means just for ME to eat per month (giving some leeway and saying the food would last 5 days which I'm not sure of) it would cost $300 per month. That is also with a lot of the fruits and veggies being on sale. Even when I looked into local places I can get bulk it would still cost me over $200 a month just for myself to eat raw. So honestly I'm really not understanding how everyone else seems to be able to eat so cheaply. Also, the $200 we normally spend doesn't include eating out - but we typically only ate out 3 times max per month spending a maximum of maybe $100 on eating out. So still that would be $300 for two people per month...not one person.
This estimate also doesn't incude nuts or seeds. Raw nuts in bulk here even the cheapest (which tend to be walnuts) are $8 per pound. My raw pecans that I love are $9 per pound. So all of the money above on fruits/veggies plus nuts and seeds is even more! Once again - those are the prices eating CONVENTIONAL fruits/veggies! I can't imagine us getting organic right now.

I understand the savings in the future on doctor bills and whatnot...but that's still a ton of money to spend right now. I will continue to eat raw no matter what, but I just don't see these low prices everyone keeps speaking of.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: February 20, 2007 01:40AM

I have found the way to eat much cheaper is if you can find an oriental grocery store. Most of them have phenominal produce departments. Not always organic, but according to my Naturopath, not all produce needs to be organic. He gave me a list of what should be organic and what not. So I follow that.

Good luck at cutting down the costs. I have also found it costs less if we shop more often... back in the old SAD days, we shopped every few weeks... now it's twice a week, or we get spoilage. That is a waste of bucks!

KathyT

Date: February 20, 2007 01:45AM

I know there are a lot of oriental markets uptown - the problem is getting there. I choose not to drive (no license, have had my permit for 6 years) and getting to that area requires switching buses which I've never done before.

I can get to my reg. grocery store though any day I want. Typically I'm going twice per week as well. Each time buying about 4-5 days worth.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Date: February 20, 2007 02:54AM

We get organic nuts really cheap online. They are a great company. You can ask Them to send you a price list.

bulkrawfoods@sbcglobal.net

Date: February 20, 2007 03:06AM

Awesome, thanks so much smiling smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: February 20, 2007 03:31AM

try asking your produce dept if they'd give you a discount on
their ripe bananas and any other ripe fruits and veggies.

my grocery has a huge discounted shelf. everything is just
ripe and about 1/4 regular cost. organic and conventional.
i rarely buy anything full price anymore.

sadly many stores dont discount and throw away tons of produce. they may
be open letting you come and buy it for a small cost.

Date: February 20, 2007 03:27PM

My grocery store has a discount shelf too. The best part is that it is full of organics because fewer people buy it, I guess.

Date: February 21, 2007 02:51AM

I don't think there's a discount shelf at the one grocer, but there is another store not too far so I may see if they haev one there. I'm also ging to call to ask if they'd sell me fruits that were 'overripe"

~Christi~
Natural Living Info

Date: February 21, 2007 05:23AM

This website always has the most useful information... you guys are all so knowledgeable!

coconutcream you hit the nail on the head. I haven't had so much as a sniffle since starting this diet. Its such a great motivation to maintain it!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables