Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

RAW bodybuilding
Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: February 19, 2007 07:05PM

I have been RAW for about 2 months now and I did fast on and off for about a month before going RAW. I have lost about 30 lbs, I just weighed myself today and I am 155 lbs. This is a huge loss in muscle since I wasn't overweight to begin with.

I'm looking for some advice from other Bodybuilders on what I can do to pack the muscle back on.

Thanks!

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAW bodybuilding
Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: February 19, 2007 08:05PM

Hey Flex,
Are you aware of The Fruitarian one's website

[www.rawfitnessbootcamp.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2007 08:10PM

Upon going raw, the body releases water retension and fat stored in the muscles. If you are losing muscle mass, it's not lean mass that you are losing. Just keep working out and it will build back, but this time it will be lean muscle.

Date: February 19, 2007 10:15PM

thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Gr8 site & articles fruitarian one, simple and so true.

I have not worked out in 4-5 months and that is probably a huge factor. Also do you guys eat any kind of oatmeal? I think I started dropping weight really fast when I stopped eating oatmeal.

Peace!

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: February 19, 2007 10:35PM

When you have a change in diet and are not getting enough calories, your body will try to lose the thing that is burning the most calories. Muscle. If you are not getting enough calories and are not working your muscles on a regular basis, then you will lose them. Make sure that you keep working those muscles so that your body knows they are not expendable. Ever since I started focusing more on weightlifting and a little less on cardio, I stopped losing weight and started filling out with muscle again.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 20, 2007 12:09AM

From what I understand, first the body burns carbs, then when those "run out" the body starts fat and some muscle. From what I understand the muscle loss can be reduced by taking in adequate protein amounts.

Posted by: AVOJAMACADA ()
Date: February 20, 2007 02:49AM

WOW!!

Good job as is!!Nice tone!!

I eat MASS amounts of nuts and AVO's.And dates!! a pound day of each sometimes.
I'd say just eat mass amounts of everything!!I'm a garburater though.
I don't count calories or carbs-never have or will.Just picture every food you eat as mnuslcle/power building....mind over matter always end up tiumphant.haha

BUT keep in mind I'm not 100% raw.I was 100% for a few years and now maintain VERY high %age RAW!!It works for me.

I also supplement with creatine and glutamine with fresh juices for bodybuilding.
I haven't body builded(?) for a few years buuuut have been for the last month and am getting back into it HARD!

Good job again!!

Here's my kick off pic...

See you at the top!!

Date: February 20, 2007 04:11AM

Wassup Dorain,

thanks but that pic is me before going RAW. I am slowly getting back into it, started yoga last week and doing pushups for now. I will hit the gym in a couple days hopefully and get back into the iron game full force. I think I add protein shake with oatmeal and see where it goes from there. I already do eat Avocados

You got a good frame to bulk up on, very similar to mine. Keep it up and the rolling snowball effect will surely take place. I will take my now picture and see where I progress in a few months as well.

Peace!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 20, 2007 09:30AM

try rock climbing
a friend of mine does it
and he's pretty uhhhh.. yeah.. his arms look like flex4life's 'before' pic

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 20, 2007 01:26PM

There might be some info at this site that can help you:

[www.veganbodybuilding.com]

Posted by: blue_sky ()
Date: February 20, 2007 02:55PM

Hi flex4life,

I think the classic raw food bodybuilder would be Richard Blackman a.k.a. The Fruitarian One. He has been doing this fruitarian lifestyle - only fruits, not even nuts & seeds - over 13 years in a row (he's 37 now). Someone in this website said that he gained 40 pounds a month but I had no idea how he found out.
[www.veganbodybuilding.com]

The main thing is that F1's body is completely free of cooked food therefore his body can do magic. He didn't care about nutrition, not counting protein, calories etc. at all. However, studies have shown that bodybuilders don't really need more protein, not as much as what most bodybuilders said about eating 1 gram protein per pound of bodyweight. I read it somewhere that F1 ate only watermelons during summer. His general rule of diet is: Eat whatever you want (raw food of course) and eat whenever you want. Listen to your body, stops when you're satisfied, continues when you feel like eating more.

Plus, he only does bodyweight training, not a single weight is used. Yet, he can do about 2300 push-ups or 4000 calf raises in an hour (can't remember the exact number, sorry if I got it wrong). Maybe that's the result of 13 years hard work.

He's 5'10 and weight around 170 pounds. That 40 pounds gain is likely from 160 to 200.

All the best,
wong

Date: February 20, 2007 07:54PM

Ha,ha Wong you got a lot wrong!

Yes, I've been a Fruitarian for 12-13 years but I've had a couple of brief experiments with cooked food along the way, just so I could answer my own questions as to why cerain things happen and to bust some myths for myself, I even quit last year to be more in tune with society but that only lasted a week because my health rapidly deteriorated, also I've also only been doing bodyweight stuff for the past year before that I had stopped working out all together for a long, long time then only worked out with weights on rare occasions.

I wasted a lot of time when I wasn't working out, I gained weight and did all the wrong things, I got lazy and ate badly, I was still comfort eating at that point but I learnt a lot from it....and now I don't have to rely on hearsay because I've been through everything for myself.

I no longer believe in modern nutrition because none of it ties in or relates to my experiences.

Flex4life...don't panick, just do what you do and hold tight....but one thing I will say is that you must think about what you really want out of all this and how far are you willing to go, eating anything cooked will only give you false results and hold back your progress/healing!

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2007 07:57PM by The Fruitarian One.

Date: February 20, 2007 11:07PM

F1,

I feel that my body has deconstructed along with the false ideas I had about who I was and now I feel that I am reconstructing from my core with the knowing of what I really am and what I really prefer. Ia ctually feel more taller, lighter & confident at 155 lbs then at 185 lbs.

I just can't believe how sensitive I am to cooked food, it makes me feel lethargic. I'm sure its partially mental but my body consciousness let's me know right away what is good for me and what is not. I just learned that spinach is not really good for me, live and learn I guess!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 21, 2007 12:02AM

flex4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> F1,
>
> I feel that my body has deconstructed along with
> the false ideas I had about who I was and now I
> feel that I am reconstructing from my core with
> the knowing of what I really am and what I really
> prefer. Ia ctually feel more taller, lighter &
> confident at 155 lbs then at 185 lbs.
>
> I just can't believe how sensitive I am to cooked
> food, it makes me feel lethargic. I'm sure its
> partially mental but my body consciousness let's
> me know right away what is good for me and what is
> not. I just learned that spinach is not really
> good for me, live and learn I guess!

Yeah buddy ...just stick to that feeling and don't budge!

The body knows far more than we do!

Here's to more changes to come and your continued success!

F1

Date: February 21, 2007 12:34AM

thanks F1, by the way this is amazing:
[www.rawfitnessbootcamp.com]

Peace!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: AVOJAMACADA ()
Date: February 21, 2007 12:54AM

Dude I saw that pic a while back and starred for stringsand stuff.haha..naaa kiddin.It looks like you a flag on a strong wind.Wicked shot and display if strenth and balane.

WOW!!Nothing short of surreal!!

Hae a good night boyz and....Hit it HARD!!

See you at the top!!

Date: February 22, 2007 02:55AM

i like reading this thread
even though i'm not a body builder
i stay toned through just movements
but i don't do weightlifting at all
maybe women are different
we don't like to have arms the size of tree trunks
though F1, flex and AVOJa are all very attractive
because of their holistic approach to health
and soundness of spirit

flex4life
some people just plain do not click with spinach
i think they are the most perishable of all veggies
if u have them
they MUST be fresh
if you don't want them
don't eat them

but i like mine mostly in smoothies or juice
not in salads
who knows why?

tee hee

Date: February 22, 2007 03:47AM

la_veronique,

you are right, I bought my spinach a week ago and consumed it 5 days later. So I'm assuming I ate unfresh spinach smiling smiley

I'll stick with romaine lettuce, celery, and red leaf lettuce!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: February 22, 2007 03:48AM

raw hemp protein powder might be what you are looking for.

Date: February 22, 2007 06:32AM

i thought flex4life was looking for fresher spinach
fresh out of the garden, perhaps

hee hee
its fun to try and imagine what flexy is looking for
maybe he is looking for
something that can't be seen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables