Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

green juices?
Posted by: arie ()
Date: February 21, 2007 09:14PM

I'm wondering about the nutrient content of juices... I met with a free nutritionist at school, and she suggested I get more calcium. I know that greens have lots of good quality calcium, but I'm wondering if drinking them in juiced-form is just as good? Does anyone know? Lately I just don't want to eat salads!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: green juices?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 22, 2007 02:35AM

broccoli and kale are some nice contenders in the champion arena of calcium land

cchuggle up

glug glug glug

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

yer bones and skeletal structure will say
thanxxx arieee!

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: February 22, 2007 03:59AM

Sesame seeds, that includes tahini, have loads of calcium!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 22, 2007 06:25AM

Agree. Sesame seeds, the brown ones (with the hulls).

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: February 28, 2007 04:07AM

also green leafy...

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 28, 2007 06:29AM

Figs, kale & almonds.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 28, 2007 08:12AM

w.e.d.u.w.t.k.??

Posted by: greenpeach ()
Date: February 28, 2007 02:12PM

It's not that calcium isn't important to actually receive through your food, but your nutritionist is (I bet anything) recommending levels based on the average American highly acid-forming diet - that is, lots of bread, sugar, and other even worse acid-forming things people eat. The reason why the recommended levels are so high is to attempt to offset the fact that the body has to take, steal, calcium from bones to buffer the acids in the system of a person with such eating habits. Improving calcium levels in your body can start with cutting out glaringly acidic things in your dietary; and alkalizing the terrain. Happily, some of the things you can do to alkalize the terrain (that is, make it less acid so that less calcium is leached from your bones as a buffering agent) also provide dietary calcium - like green juices, supplements like Vitamineral Green, green smoothies...

Other cultures without such intensely acid eating habits as Americans do not have issues like osteoporosis in spite of having an average intake of calcium that is about half what the average American intake is. I think that on a healthy raw diet you can assume you need no MORE than half what the nutritionist recommends - next time you run into her, if you're up for a crusading challenge, you could try cluing her in. Dairy exacerbates, rather than forestalls, osteoporosis, for example, could be the topic of _your_ lecture to her - anyway, the key is pH - if someone has low pH, that means that she or he is using up the calcium (s)he eats to buffer acids and it isn't getting to the bones, or isn't staying there. Green juice is a good way to approach it - no salads, and quick alkalinity as well as calcium content. Figs and seeds do have calcium, but they actually increase acidity; and almonds don't do much to alkalize, though they do a little. A calcium-rich food that increases acidity might end up causing a calcium deficit - yummy though figs and tahini are!

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: February 28, 2007 06:37PM

Greenpeach

When you said no salad, are you saying they don't supply alkalies to our body like green juices?

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 28, 2007 07:32PM

I've been eating salads, figs, almonds, sesame seeds, and lots of greens for about 20 years... my ph is perfect, and I had a bone density test, and he said my bones are like a teenagers.

By the time you cut out every God given beautiful, healthful vegan food, except for a chosen few, you will not be getting the nutrients you need, and your ph will be the last of your worries. I'm so happy God gave us a rainbow variety of healthful vegan foods.

Posted by: Pam ()
Date: February 28, 2007 07:46PM

The Standard American Diet recommends too much protein. High protein intake causes excessive calcium secretion. This is why the recommended calcium intake is so high.

Posted by: greenpeach ()
Date: February 28, 2007 07:57PM

Connie Boo, I apologize if I was unclear: I said "no salad" like that because Arie was expressing a desire not to have salad; I was saying that green juices are a way to get the calcium/alkalization without "having to" eat salads.

That said, salads do not alkalize the body as powerfully as green juices do, but I wasn't saying not to have them for this reason! If people want to alkalize, though, salads alone won't do the trick if they are coming from an acidic body! At least that is how it has been for me - one needs to assimilate more greens than one does from a salad (or salads) to correct a significant acid-alkaline imbalance.

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: March 01, 2007 01:21AM

Greenpeach

Thank you for the clarification and your information

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables