Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A little help for a newbie?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 23, 2007 12:44AM

Hello everybody. smiling smiley

I am completely new to eating raw, but I know that it's something I HAVE to do or I may explode. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all this information, though, and I have some questions, if anybody would be so sweet as to help me out.

1-How fast is it possible to make the transition from a regular diet to a raw diet? (I was able to make the change from regular diet straight to vegan a year ago, if this makes any difference.) How serious are the consequences of transitioning too quickly?

2-How important is measuring caloric intake in a raw diet?

3-What would one eat throughout a typical raw day (specifically for a person with minimal knowledge/skill in cookery)? Are salads good to eat?

4-What is a green smoothie?

I'm really excited about this, but I need to know some things before flinging myself out into the unknown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 12:47AM by comma.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A little help for a newbie?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 23, 2007 01:53AM

Welcome! Thank you for your great & intelligent questions!

1) If you were doing very healthy things and eating very healthy before? Then a transition COULD be very quick....sometimes just a few days or weeks. For those that were eating the healthy side of normal? 3-6 months CAN be a good round number. For those that were eating relatively poorly or without much consciousness? I would set aside & give yourself a very generous time frame of 12-24 months to reach your goals in a comfortable manner.

2) Not very. But in the beginning/transition stages....I would eat the widest variety possible.....and try to (if anything) overeat on healthier transitional foods and raw foods that you love. If you are trying to lose weight....I would lean more heavily toward lots of fresh greens and vegetables. If you are trying to gain weight....I would focus more on fresh fruits, nuts and avocadoes.

3) A typical day might be: Breakfast = 1/2 canteloupe & fresh Orange Juice. Snack = 1/2 lb grapes. Lunch = mixed salad, fresh raw nut mix, dates for desert. Snack = 4 bananas. Dinner = Fresh veggie wraps topped with guacamole and fresh salsa. Snack = 4 apples.

4) Hmmm...not sure......I'm sure someone else will jump in here. Some sort of greens shake or something...LOL!

-Ha! ha! As far as 'flinging' yourself into the unknown......it's not as if you've NEVER eaten fresh fruits and vegetables! Ha! ha! Just incorporate more of those fruits/vegetables that you love into your diet at a pace that is comfortable for YOU (and don't let anyone...even your own brain torture you into doing otherwise!) winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 23, 2007 02:32AM

Wow, thanks SO much! It's great to have some of my biggest questions answered by an actual person rather than an overload of articles. ;P I'm nowhere near as confused now as I was. THANK YOU!! ^_^

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: February 23, 2007 02:44AM

1) Anywhere between 1 second and 10+ years depending on the person and there desire.

2) Not very. Maybe if you're working out a lot or a serious distance running, but in that case you'll alreally know what you knew to do as far a calory counting anyway.

3) Fruits, nuts, greens. If you don't have any cooking skills, then you're in the right place, you don't need to cook anything, just put it in your mouth and chew. winking smiley Salads can be fun, in fact start off it's important to keep your food fun! I just had a fruit salad, mango, kiwis, apple, banana and some finely chopped ginger. It was very yummy!

4) It's a smooth with greens (leafs or whatever) in it. Something apple juice, oranage juice, banana and bunch of spinish (or whatever you like).

Welcome and good luck.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: gary ()
Date: February 23, 2007 10:15AM

i'm suprised by the answers given to question 2 by David and sodoffsocks

When I went 100% raw last year, I lost a lot of weight very quickly. I'm sure that if I was more aware of my calorie needs and that if I'd known more about the calorie content of raw foods I would have done a lot better. I basically fell off raw vegan after about 3 months because I had lost a lot of weight and everyone was telling me I looked ill.

This time around I plan to transition more slowly and watch my calorie intake carefully.

Gary

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 23, 2007 03:41PM

Want to know more about green smoothies?

[www.emaxhealth.com]

[www.eatsprouts.com]

I did a Google search for "green smoothies" and took the first two that came up. I didn't read much of either. A tiny bit. But the second one is the way I do it. I mix fruits and vegetables in a blender ensuring that I have more fruit in there than vegetable. You can do this: mix the two, tasting as you add more. If it gets too vegy then add just a bit more fruit.

See Victoria Butenko's website. She's the lady that is credited with starting it all up.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 23, 2007 04:30PM

When I went 100% raw last year, I lost a lot of weight very quickly. I'm sure that if I was more aware of my calorie needs and that if I'd known more about the calorie content of raw foods I would have done a lot better. I basically fell off raw vegan after about 3 months because I had lost a lot of weight and everyone was telling me I looked ill.

Losing a lot of weight in the beginning, from what I've seen and read, is completely normal though. Your body breaks down the fat reserves that were built on cooked foods (hence the weight loss) and then builds it back up with the raw foods. I've also read that when you lose the weight, although you weigh less - you are much more healthy and your body is just regulating it's body size to the size you really "should" be.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: February 23, 2007 11:34PM

one thing that will help u out a lot is if u do it with a friend, or better yet a family member, or better yet someone u live with.

this is a whole lifestyle change, so it's really cool to have someone to share it with. I think it helps so much because i think everyone can use more support especially with major life changes.

It seems a little odd to consider changing one's diet a major life change, but u will see it's definitely a lifestyle. =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables