Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

newbie wondering how we make sure we get enough protein
Posted by: Runninggal1974 ()
Date: February 23, 2007 04:32AM

Hi!

I am just starting out into this whole world. Do most people eat some raw and some cooked foods or are most people in this raw foods world 100% eating raw foods?

Also wondering how we get a balanced diet with this? Calcium, protein, etc. Is the protein mainly coming from nuts and seeds? Is that sufficient?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie wondering how we make sure we get enough protein
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: February 23, 2007 03:23PM

Hmmm...I'm really surprised that someone with more knowledge hasn't answered by now. But I'll throw something into this.

Just my guess from reading the posts on this forum for several months now, is that most do eat a mixed diet of raw and cooked. Most people probably eat at least 60% raw, but, who knows?

The balanced diet comes from eating a wide variety of foods. Mostly organic if possible, and some people like wild vegetables, which are probably higher in mineral content than store bought veggies. Some people eat a lot more fruit than others, some eat a very low fat diet of around 10% of one's daily caloric intake coming from fats. My guess is most people on this forum get more than 10% from fats. I suppose that most don't stress much about protein. It's in all foods. But I know there are some who emphasize protein. I know that vegetables have lots and lots of amino acids, it's just that none (I'm pretty sure of this) have all the amino acids to make a complete protein. Or, if any do, then I suppose the amount of one or two amino acids is so small that it's not significant. I don't know, just me thinking here. Nuts and seeds are a major source of protein though, for sure. Who can say if most raw fooders get most protein from nuts and seeds?

"Is that sufficient?" Ask 10 people and you'll get 9 or 10 or 11 replies!!

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 23, 2007 04:26PM

From what I've read- the protein "building blocks" in veggies are better than meat. Meat has complete proteins the body must break down to use where as greens have building blocks and form together inside the body to complete proteins that are more designed for our bodies.

You'll get everything you need out of a 100% raw diet as long as you eat a variety of foods and make sure you eat greens and not too much fat. personally I'm at 85-90% raw right now and I don't eat meat or beans and I still am getting enough protein. I also don't eat a ton of nuts since they're so fatty. I like to cook veggies a time or two each week at the moment because I'm still transitioning.

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: February 23, 2007 04:55PM

The protein in raw vegetable is particularly vital, as the protein in cooked foods gets damaged and large amount of it is rendered unrecognizable to the body.
Do a search on google for vegetarian protein myths.
Or search this website for the word protein, this question has been asked and answered many times.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 24, 2007 04:47AM

I get asked that too all the time, I say from amino acids in fruits and vegetables, and say I am not worried because there is not a shortage of protein in the usa. And then I ask them, right? and they agree

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 24, 2007 11:26AM

stanschnee,

This is a vegan board, and posts made here are expected to be vegan in nature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2007 10:20PM by Bryan.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: February 24, 2007 05:52PM

Stanschnee, are you provide some reference for your claim?

If ths study ran into trouble "quickly", then how come people on this board are able to go for years with out any of the animal protien you are tell us we need?

Thanks,
Ian.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 24, 2007 07:08PM

-After a gradual 2-3 year transition, I've eaten nothing but fruit for several years.....and I am the healthiest and strongest guy I know. I am a tri-athlete, a runner, and very active. I have more hair and more energy....and no lack of muscle. Listen: continue to ask intelligent questions, and then try tools that others have walked/practiced to see if they apply to your life. But each learning must ceratinly be adopted to the individual - don't you think?

-Just remember that success stories usually don't make the news. Success is NORMAL to the successful...and not big news. Failure is always big news - especially to those interested in failure. Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 25, 2007 06:54PM

Dear Runninggal,

I agree with TroySantos. Nuts and seeds are a major source of protein, and you don't have to eat very much of them to get what you need. Fruits and vegetables also contain more protein than the meat and dairy industries would like us to know. A balanced diet of fruits, vegetables (possibly including seaweeds), and nuts and seeds will supply all our protein needs.

Whenever I'm wondering if I'm getting enough of this or that, I go to nutritiondata.com and check the nutrition charts (sourced from the US Dept. of Agriculture and the Center for Disease Control). You can enter any food you like, and you can see how much protein, calcium, etc. is in the foods you're eating, and whether or not it's enough.

Once you've entered a food, and chosen a match for what you want, pay close attention to the designated serving size at the top of the page (adjustable), and the %DV column at the right for each of the nutrients. If the %DV is 25%, that means that the designated serving size at the top of the page supplies 25% of the amount of that nutrient that you need for the day. You can add up the %DVs for that nutrient from each of the foods you eat to see how close you get to 100% of that nutrient for the day.

You can also try using the "pantry" on nutritiondata.com, where you can enter all the foods you ate in a day and get charts to show the total %DV for each of the nutrients you got that day. Make sure to read the "pantry" directions carefully and check the foods and food quantities on the totals page, because the "pantry" can be a little tricky to use.

You probably don't need to get to 100% for everything, because the RDAs (recommended daily allowances) were doubled to be on the "safe" side. I suggest you aim for at least 60% for each nutrient.

You'll soon see that protein isn't much of a problem. I usually pay closer attention to iron, calcium, and vitamin E. I eat brown (unhulled) sesame seeds and sunflower seeds (both soaked) to satisfy those requirements. My diet is 100% raw.

You probably don't need to worry about getting enough sodium. On a raw food vegan diet, sodium is usually very low, but sufficient. The RDA for sodium was probably set as a limit, rather than a goal.

I take a B12 supplement, although some feel that's unnecessary.

Stanschnee, it wouldn't hurt for you to take a look at the nutrition charts too. You will see that you are completely inaccurate in stating that there's an "absence of protein" in cabbage, lettuce, beans and grains. Beans and grains in particular contain a lot of protein. Raw food vegans usually don't eat much beans or grains (unless they're sprouted), but if you take a look at fruits and vegetables, and especially nuts and seeds, you will see that a person can easily fulfill their protein needs without eating meat or dairy products.

Davidzanemason, I didn't know you were a triathlete. Have you completed a triathlon since you started eating only fruit? Which triathlon and what year?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2007 07:02PM by suncloud.

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: February 25, 2007 08:03PM

They say that it is a myth. Along the lines of the "we need milk for calcium" propoganda. The only people who have ever been deficient in protein are those who are starving. Protein is found in everything! And the truth is americans are actually getting too much protein which leads to all sorts of major health problems. If your doctors ever expresses concern to you about your diet ask him/her if he has ever had a patient that was protein deficient. He probably hasn't.

Posted by: Runninggal1974 ()
Date: February 27, 2007 09:37PM

Thank you all for your ideas. I have been a strong athlete for years and am quite thin, therefore, I get nervous about losing weight on a raw diet. You have inspired me to try it though. This whole website is such an inspiration. Thank you and blessings to you all as you work towards better health.

Julie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables