Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

husband looks to thin
Posted by: seastars ()
Date: February 23, 2007 11:44PM

My husbands weight has dropped a lot since being on raw foods,His waist size has gone from 31 to a 29. He is 42 and 5'8 I'm concerned he's losing to much for his age.He has lost a lot of muscle mass but he has'nt lifted weights for a couple of years He used to be chunkier and now for lack of a better word he looks scrawny. Other than feeling hungry more often he says he feels about the same as when we were on the sad diet.I don't want him to look this way.his job is a factory one which is physically demanding. Does anyone think I should be worried? or will this level out? seastars

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: husband looks to thin
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: February 24, 2007 01:12AM

This sounds more like it's your personal preference of body types, as in asthetics, rather than a health issue. 29inch wast doesn't sound unreasonable for somebody who is 5'8, sounds fairly healthy to me. Of course, if he only weights 70lbs, there might be a problem. winking smiley

It seems pretty normal for weight loss at the start of a raw food diet. I wouldn't worry about personally.

Ian.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 24, 2007 01:31AM

My weight has dropped a lot too, I do look skinny now but feel too good most of the time good to worry too much. I'm 5' 7" and 113 lbs the last time I checked.

Overall though I have definitely have more energy/stamina so it can't be hurting me. Some people are concerned but I am keeping the faith. I sure don't miss falling asleep while I was trying to do my job (in the afternoons) or coming home feeling shellshocked and exhausted on Friday nights.

From what I understand your body gets rid of all the old unhealthy tissue first and then after a while some of the weight comes back. Bodybuilding is a good idea.

Posted by: SlimLadyRunner ()
Date: February 24, 2007 02:00AM

how long have your husband been on the diet? how much has he lost?

Posted by: KathyT ()
Date: February 24, 2007 01:41PM

I watched Storm and Jinjie's movie "Breakthrough" which is a documentary about their raw family.

In it Storm emphasized over and over that raw vegans MUST exercise or they will be come thin. Exercise bulks up the muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. So a raw vegan isn't going to become fat, but they would still look better, not like they are starving.

I'm starting my exercise regime tomorrow! I like the fact that I'm losing weight, but as I get rid of the fat, I want to look good and be strong.

KathyT

Date: February 24, 2007 05:20PM

Yep.... the body is a highly developed machine and if you don't use it you will lose it!!!

Find an activity that you love will want to do consistantly....

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 24, 2007 06:52PM

Anaerobic exercise is the key to gaining muscle. Here is a post with an excellent article, and here is another post with weight gain links.

Date: February 25, 2007 08:10AM

I am a wimp. Well, actually just years of being ill has wasted my muscles. I want to build them up again. Does anyone know an exercise program that will start VERY gently and help me build up?

I bought a rebounder with the little bar that I could hold on to... wow, I can't make it 2 minutes through that exercise. I want to build up to it-- rebounding has great health benefits. But first I have to get some strength... frankly my body is about 75 years old, even though I'm only 53. And I can't do much with weight living or any serious strain, because I've had so many eye surgeries.

So... gentle start! Any ideas? I have an exercise bike, but I want to tone and strengthen both my arms and legs.

Thanks,

KathyT

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: February 25, 2007 04:28PM

Water exercises can be great for people if you have access to a place. You can strengthen your muscles with less strain. Start out with empty water bottles and try to push them underwater with your arms. The resistance will help to slowly build muscle. You can work your way up to larger empty containers to increase resistance. You can fill them with a little water for less resistance. Also you can "kick" or "bycicle" with your legs it the water.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 25, 2007 09:17PM

kelbelhas g ood i dea

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 25, 2007 10:10PM

Kathy, I'm 54 and I understand about going slowly when doing exercising. I tried a personal trainer and they about killed mesmiling smiley I couldn't walk when I did the leg exercises for a couple days!

But as above message states..water is great. I love to swim, and use the hot tub..and really then you are loosened up and more flexible...helps with pain.

I also really like the treadmill..that's easy, and you can do it anywhere and you can work up to different paces.

I also love my exercise ball..for stretching..just to sit on it helps with balance and some strength training. Bouncing on it too is fun..and it can get you fired up.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: February 26, 2007 12:51AM

Kathy T

I have an exercise tape that has helped me tremendously. It is called Pilates for AnyBody by Theresa Borgrens.

I had terrible posture and this tape helped me immediately. Its all floor exercises and the instructor really helps you by telling how to do the exercises correctly.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: February 26, 2007 03:18AM

I agree that exercise is vital to building muscle strength. I do not lift weights but I do dance like a maniac. My legs are incredibly toned and strong - People are often suprised at how strong I am. Hoorah for exercise.

Date: February 26, 2007 08:53AM

Great ideas! I'm going to look into a place to do some water exercise. I did that years ago when I was in college and I remember it does give you a workout while beign gentle on your body.

I like the idea of the treadmill and also dancing... they are not something I can dive right into just yet... I have so much diabetic nerve damage to my legs, I have very little feeling beneath my knees... so I definately have to build myself up to be able to handle that. But both brought back fond memories... at the same college where I did the water aerotics, I also would get on the treadmill alot.. I loved it. I loved pacing myself against the little "pacer" light on the treadmill, and feeling very happy when I outraced it. LOL

I also used to put in "footloose" and dance away. Dancing is GREAT exercise. And so much fun!

The exercise ball is a new idea... I've never used one. You know, bouncing on an exercise ball could have the same effects as rebounding... rebounding has GREAT health benefits... so I like that idea alot. I'm going to buy an exercise ball! And the pilates? I've heard of pilates, but don't know what they are! I'll have to do an internet search and find out what they are.

A friend came over tonight, and his wife is a physical therapist. She's going to call me, and come over and give me tests and design an exercise program just for me! I'm excited about that. My "real" body age is in the 70s, and I believe that exercise is the next step to take in bringing it more into alignment with my true age of 53. So here's my plan....

1) stay raw
2) work on the exercise program with our PT friend..
3) water aerobics
4) get an exercise ball and doing some bouncing!!
5) find out about pilates.

Okay, now I have a plan, I'm exciting about getting going!

Thanks, guys! GREAT suggestions!

Hugs,

KathyT

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 26, 2007 03:35PM

I think pilates is great for what you want to do. You can go at your own pace, moderating the excersizes to your ability. I have Winsore Pilates and she gives you easy alternatives so you can build up to it. They are slow and relaxing but a challenge. I was considerably stronger in two weeks.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 02, 2007 04:07AM

I've had several kinds of exercise balls..my fav is the Bell exercise ball..I tried that lumpy one..and hated it. I wouldn't buy a peanut shaped one either. Just a nice big round ball..no extras..just the ball. I do have 2 exercise cd's and I really like both of them. But mostly I just sit on it, stretch, bounce and lay on it..it's fun and relaxing.

Good luck!
Love,
Prism

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 03, 2007 08:43AM

seastars

there's yer answer
just DANCE with him
and you will BOTH end up
toned, energetic and deliriously happy with each other

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables