Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how many nori sheets
Posted by: raspberry ()
Date: February 27, 2007 11:22AM

hi,

i was wondering approximately how many nori sheets it'd be advisable to eat per day. recently i craved them quite alot and i've found they help me reduce cooked food cravings.
but, on the package it says "do not eat more than one sheet a day" because of the hight amount of iodine.
however, there is a lot of iodine in dairy, meat, table salt of course, and nearly everything, nowadays; so, as i don't eat many of these things any more, would i really have too much iodine if i ate more nori sheets?
what do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how many nori sheets
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 27, 2007 12:13PM

i sure don't know raspberry...but i thank u for telling me about the high salt content.i did not think of that.i am prone to high blood pressure and now i will not eat anymore of those sheets.thanks so much and i know u will get your answer from the wise ones on this site. hugs taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Date: February 27, 2007 12:48PM

Nori sheets are very low in sodium/salt - that is why they are my favorite seaweed. Raspberry, I personally feel comfortable having 10 in a day sometimes - they and lemon make my salads interesting when I am not doing fat or nightshades. I certainly think you could do 2 or 3 or listen to/give in to your craving. I have never seen that warning on any of the brands of nori I use. Unless it's new. I've used Emerald Cove, Eden, and Maine Coast brands - especially the latter two seem responsible companies and I should think that they might have such a warning on the package if it were a real concern.

Also, I always try to remind myself that warnings like that are generated in the context of a cooked, possibly even at least partly carnivore, life - that is, not in the context of a healthy system. This doesn't necessarily mean that nothing like that (overdoses and deficiencies) can touch us, but it does mean that it is from another planet and may not be applicable.

I hope this helps a little. In answer to your question, my opinion is that it would be quite safe to indulge your craving at this stage - it will probably pass naturally. I think you don't have to limit it now, but just watch for symptoms of too much iodine! If you want to limit it, 3 is certainly going to be fine. But if it's what comes between you and cooked, let it - cooked carnivore and salt will be a million zillion trillion times worse.

Date: February 27, 2007 03:14PM

taylor,
well, salt content and iodine content is not the same, right. i was only talking about iodine here.
while it is true that many people nowadays suffer from an iodine allergy because it is added to / in so many foods today, it does not automatically mean that your being prone to high blood pressure has anything to do with this.
so i don't think you should completely stop eating nori...

Date: February 27, 2007 03:24PM

Johnsonandtheshits,

thanks very much for your answer!
well, the reason why you haven't seen this warning before is simply because i'm not living in america but europe. and it probably depends on every country's legal regulations whether it has to include warnings such as this. i know, for example, that there are no such warnings in japan, and i would think they often eat more than one sheet of seaweed a day.

yes, your answer makes sense to me, thanks for the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables