Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you know if you are eating too much sugar?
Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: February 28, 2007 03:50AM

I feel okay.. but I have been eating mostly fruits for months now. I was always a person that avoided sugar. I never ate honey--sugary fruits--dried fruits, etc. But now I live on it. How do you I know if I am getting too much sugars? I used to be a big pasta/bread person. Are sugar from carbs similiar to sugar from fruits?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you know if you are eating too much sugar?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 28, 2007 06:26AM

Hi Minou,

You asked if sugar from carbs is similar to sugar from fruits.

Sugar is a carbohydrate, whether it comes from fruit or from table sugar. Sugar from fruit is fructose. The regular table sugar is sucrose. I did some googling, and found that when you eat sucrose (the table sugar), it breaks down into about half fructose and half glucose. Most of the glucose you get when you eat sucrose goes directly into the system without being first stored as glycogen. Too much glucose in the system can cause a high blood sugar spike, putting stress on the pancreas to produce enough insulin to turn the glucose into energy. When you eat fructose from fruit, it will first be converted to glycogen and stored in the liver, then converted to glucose as needed; so there is much less of a chance of having a high blood sugar spike from eating a lot of fruit.

As a high fruit person myself for many years, I find that eating a lot of fruit has not been a problem, but if I eat ONLY fruit for too long, I do become deficient in certain nutrients. It's been especially difficult for me to get enough iron, calcium, and vitamin E with fruit only, and in the long run, I've found that I'm much better off when I'm eating a moderate amount of greens and seeds (soaked these days) in addition to fruit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2007 06:29AM by suncloud.

Re: How do you know if you are eating too much sugar?
Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: February 28, 2007 01:51PM

thanks suncloud. that was very helpful!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables