Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What greens are most nutrititious/important?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 04, 2007 10:35AM

Hi all!

I feel like I should introduce myself since I have been reading this board, on and off for almost 2 years but only just today made an actual profile. I am finally "going raw" after much study and contemplation and we'll see how it goes!! I wanted to thank all the regulars for all you have helped me learn about this wondrous lifestyle (especially Bryan, David Mason, and Raw Gosia who always have so many insights).

My question is about greens. I am more or less following the Nora Lenz Natural Hygienist school of thought as I begin my raw journey, which emphasizes mostly fruit and some greens, and the only greens recommended are more or less celery, romaine, baby spinach and maybe a few other lettuces, which I am having in salads and green smoothies. But since a lot of people on this board emphasize greens, I have become convinced that adding a bit more to my diet couldn't hurt, and might help, so I am planning to add more greens in the form of "raw soups". (Also to clarify, Nora recommends eating whatever helps you stay raw. I am only asking because other than her suggestions, I don't know a lot about greens to add)

Anyway, after that long explanation, my basic question is which greens do you think are most important? Which do you include in your own diet and consider the most nutritious?

Thank you very much for any, and all resposes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2007 10:42AM by jenontheshore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What greens are most nutrititious/important?
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 04, 2007 12:33PM

If there are any wild greens in your area, and if they grow in a clean area (hmmm...are you by the coast, by chance?!) then try those. Many people feel that they're more nutritious than store bought, even organic, and I feel that it's probably true.

There's at least one strong advocate of wild greens on this site. Who is it - Funky Rob? Sorry whoever you are - and Funky Rob if it's not you!.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 04, 2007 02:00PM

I ate many dark, leafy greens during my initial transition years. I think it's a good idea to stay full on such stuff (if YOUR research tells you it is good) during those early years. Try Kale, Chard, Dandelion, Collard, Arugala......and to a lesser extent the darker lettuces like Romaine, Bibb, etc. You might also want to try various cabbages....which shredded make an excellent slaw with lemon juice, garlic, sprouts and fresh sunflower seeds or almond slices. Just some suggestions.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 04, 2007 02:18PM

Hey, what timing. I've just prepared an article with a table comparing the nutrition in some common wild and cultiavted greens for the magazine I publish. I'll post the table on my website soon, but the basic analysis - wild greens have excellent nutrition in general (although there is not that much data avialable on them), watercress, spinach and rocket are the best culivated greens, comparing very well with the wild greens, kale comming a close second, with cabbage, lettuce and celery being quite poor in their vitamin and mineral content.

I'll post the table soon... but meanwhile more info here:

[www.edibleplants.com] - lots of nutrition info on wild and cultiavted greens

[www.pfaf.org] - excellent plant database

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 04, 2007 04:14PM

Wow, Funky Rob, thanks. Just the kind of info I was looking for. I am trying to figure out which greens to sort of focus on since I like the idea of having a structured list of foods I eat, just to make my transition to raw easier.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 04, 2007 04:20PM

jenontheshore

if u want good info
ask for FUNKY info
that's where its at

thanks FUNKYrob!!

WASSUP with that BRILLIANT plant table?

i dig it!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 04, 2007 04:40PM

Thanks LaV!!!

As you're all so keen for the table, here it is, it's a PDF at the moment, when I get more time I'll publish it as a standard web page:

[www.rawrob.com]

(It's also still in English, so for you Americans fat hen is lambsquaters and rocket is arugla.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 04, 2007 04:40PM

Personally, I CRAVE lacinato (a.k.a. dragon, or dark green) kale. I put it in every salad and smoothie I make. The darker the greens, the more nutrient-rich they are. I love greens, but I've heard of others who feel sick when they eat them, so just listen to your body.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: March 04, 2007 05:00PM

funky rob, thank you so much for the table !!!
blessings,
Cynthia

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: March 05, 2007 01:30AM

jenontheshore,

Maybe an equally important question is, what greens can you obtain that are grown organically in your area? I think it is definitely good to know the ins and outs of the nutritional makeup of various greens (Rob, that table is AWESOME!) -- but for instance, if I have a choice between Bibb Lettuce grown in rich mineralized soil by a local farmer or gardener, and a head of Collards bought at the supermarket -- I'll take the Bibb lettuce every time smiling smiley

Adam

Posted by: Melanie ()
Date: March 05, 2007 03:55AM

I've heard that if you get sick from dark greens it's because there's lots of mucus in your stomach and system in general that needs to be detoxed.

Posted by: Pam ()
Date: March 05, 2007 05:26AM

I read that the green tops of root vegetables are very nutritious. I think it's in Green for Life. So I juice carrot and beet greens when I can. Also turnip greens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables