Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I bought the Natalia Rose Detox Book...anyone else used it?
Posted by: dafodil ()
Date: March 13, 2007 03:55AM

I bought the book a couple of days ago, and have started to use it (at a level 3 for me) and was just wondering if anyone else here has used the book's approach. It seems so useful for me personally, as it incorporates alot of raw with a little cooked and some fish/shellfish allowences (or meat if one wants as well), but it seems really flexible and makes alot of sense to me!

So far, its not a "beat it into you and shove 100% raw down your throat" sort of book, which I find really good since I've been struggling with my "rawism" for a while now, and have found other books informative but quite dogmatic. I have a alot of weight to lose after gaining quite a bit during a back-injury recovery, and have been really frustrated and feeling really sluggish with my old vegan/vegetarian ways of eating. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience or feedback about the book or the Detox Diet which Rose advocates. THanks!

Dafodil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I bought the Natalia Rose Detox Book...anyone else used it?
Posted by: llulu ()
Date: March 13, 2007 04:58PM

I used that book when I first learned about raw -- I too liked the approach of really listening to your body and easing into the transition. I feel as if it also gave me confidence to go back to eating less raw when I was going through what I feel like was "emotional detox" when I was eating almost 100% raw until I worked through some of the emotional baggage. My body seemed to know when it was time to go back to high raw again.

Also, I begin EVERY day with the green lemonade recipe for breakfast. Although I add wheatgrass juice to the mix. It really gets me moving in the morning!

Date: March 13, 2007 07:28PM

I think thats whats been going on with me! I went 100% raw for a week and was feeling like total ass!!! Easing into it is much better for me, even if I'm only eating 20% cooked, thats enough to stave off detox symtoms. I was having major physical and mental side effects of going all raw all at once, and although, I'm one of those "all-or-nothing" people, that approach does not always work when detoxing or going 100% (at least for me). Thanks for your input!

Dafodil

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 14, 2007 04:10AM

I am happy you like it but it has meat recipes and cooking recipes and it says you can eat all this cooked stuff. Like the meat dish baked/fried with agave is not really raw at all. Its not even transition.

But I hope you like it and it turns you on to eating healthier..whatever it takes right?

smiling smiley

Date: March 18, 2007 05:41AM

Hi Coco-
Yeah, I think for now,the "whatever it takes" approach is working for me...I have only been eating cooked for dinner, usually salmon and veg, or a large salad w/ some raw goat cheese. I used to be vegan, and became quite the unhealthy vegan at that! I think this will ease me back into a total raw/vegan (the healthy one) diet that my body does very well with. I know I may sound a bit hypocritical,eating fish, but coming off of back rehabilitation and months of eating JUNK, and feeling sorry for myself, I am hoping for the best with this program. I'm so tired of being tired. BTW, your myspace page is interesting...I love the music and I'm a Marie Antoinette fan ...(the couch!) she was so much more than the world will ever know. Its kind of sad that shes mainly known for a silly remark she never intended in a malicious way! Go figure! winking smiley

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: March 18, 2007 06:14AM

Dafodil,

I personally think that someone could live to be 100 yrs old, if they follow Natilia Rose's healthy lifestyle plan.

This is not a book for a hardcore raw vegan, though.

There are many ways to longevity and optimal health. It's just a matter of your own criteria.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: March 18, 2007 01:48PM

I have this book too and I thought some of the ideas were really interesting...the idea of the healthiest food being the one that your body can assimilate and then pass through the quickest made a lot of sense. The more efficiently a food can be digested, the easier it is on your body and the less waste it will leave behind.

This book also explained food combining in a way that I actually understood. I like the approach.

Dafodil, I'm also an 'all or nothing' type, but this book is nice in that it's not too hardcore. I am already hard enough on myself, so it's nice that it is more gentle/non militant in the approach.

Date: March 19, 2007 11:19PM

One of the issues with being an "all or nothing" person -- count me in as having this kind of personality -- is that things do swing back to NOTHING. I think this is why NR's Detox Book works for me. Knowing that there is an entire spectrum in between often allows me to go through a decision making process that brings me back to raw. I like the fact that there it is not about either 100% or failure -- and for people like me who battle with an emotional eating addiction, feeling good at 80, 90 or 100% raw is soooo much better than thinking, oh well, I screwed up so I might as well go on a bender! I recognize not everyone has these issues with eating -- which is why it is so wonderful that their are different approaches to raw out there for people to experiment with and find what fits their needs.

Date: March 20, 2007 06:23AM

Your so right about that!! I've been feeling much better about the choices I've made (from a dietary standpoint) recently, and I realize that I DON'T have to be the hard-core-all-or-nothing-raw-zealot in order to feel better and be healthier! Being 80-90% raw is working great for me...so far no headaches, weird cravings, or feeling exhausted. Thanks to you all for your input!
Dafodil

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: March 20, 2007 06:41PM

llulu

could you post green lemonade recipe....thant would be appreciated...

thanks

Date: March 20, 2007 08:36PM

Green Lemonade

apples
romaine
lemon

Juice 2 apples or pears, a whole head of romaine or a bunch of dark greens, and ginger if desired.

Today, I had a huge, fresh picked, organic romaine. I only used 1/2 the head and 2 apples with 1/2 a lemon and it made over 16 oz's. Yummy!

Date: March 21, 2007 06:48PM

Here's the recipe for Green Lemonade:
(1 serving)

1 head romaine or celery
5 to 6 stalks kale (any type)
1 to 2 apples -- she recommends fuji but I use granny smith because they are easier to juice with my juicer
1 while organic lemon, peel & all
1 to 2 T fresh ginger (optional)

As quoted from the book, "Lemon really cuts out the "green" taste that most people try to avoid."-- which is really true. I have served this to many people who don't juice and are not raw, and they've loved it.

I also juice a large handful of wheatgrass with the other ingredients. Also, I guess they type of juicer you have changes your output. I tried a Breville -- I think that is the one she recommends and ended up sending it back, for a number of reasons, but the # one reason was that I felt it just did not extract nearly as much juice as other juicers. Instead I got the Kempo Green Power and I would say it extracts up to twice as much juice (and then the added benefit of it also being able to juice wheatgrass, and much easier to clean. So, I end up using a bit more kale, 2 apples and the wheatgrass and drink half in the AM and half to reboost my energy in the late afternoon.

So, I guess this actually brings up a point about the juicer she "recommends" and sells from her website -- and saying in my option there are much better juicers out there -- and even when taking cost into account, my Kempo was $50 more, but because the juice output is SOOO much higher, it more than pays for itself in a short period of time. Others have much to say on juicer recommendations in other posts, though.

Date: March 22, 2007 06:23AM

I lOVE green lemonade....I have been drinking it everyday for about 1.5 weeks now....very refreshing and filling...gets me through the morning w/ energy (and not from coffee!) which, btw,I have totally stopped drinking! ha! nbow all the $$ I used to spend at starbucks is spent at the produce stand! LOL!

Posted by: veganman ()
Date: March 29, 2007 05:02AM

I enjoyed this book very much. It really simplified some of the food combining guidelines.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: March 29, 2007 06:52PM

I thought this book would be good for some people who may be extremely resistant to the idea of going 100% raw but were interested to at least take baby steps to clean up their diets a little. The book was well written, her steps were easy to understand and I could tell they would be fairly easy to implement. I found it basically to be a whole foods approach, moving up to more and more raw with time.
I also liked her info about food combining, very easy to understand.

I disagreed though, with her okay-ing the use of Splenda. That is not even close to "food" in my eyes.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 06:53PM by Sparkler.

Posted by: zapple ()
Date: March 29, 2007 09:44PM

I wondered about the Splenda thing as well. Artificial sweetner?! Whatie what? Haha. In the revised version of that book she removed all references to Splenda and claimed that it was in there because it is a much better alternative to Sweet n' Lo.. which most of her clients were hooked on. Why use Splenda when you can have agave? Silly, silly smiling smiley

By the way, Sparkler, your progressive photos are amazing. You look fabulous.

-zapple

"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity.." - Thoreau

Date: March 29, 2007 09:52PM

I actually returned the book, when I saw she had Splenda in her recipes. Tisk, tisk! That's a HUGE no-no! I almost thought it was a typo. Just as with any Raw food guru, I always have to sift through it, and glean the good stuff.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 05, 2007 11:29PM

I really loved the book, and just overlooked the stuff that didn't fit well for me. It still was a good motivator and has lots of good info.

Are you juicing all the stuff for the green lemonade? Could I (I will anyway) or has anyone done the stuff in a blender like a green smoothie?

I guess it would be ok to use spinach instead of kale..I don't care for kale that much. Any special reason she said use kale?

Thanks,
Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables