Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Amino Acids and cooked foods
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 15, 2007 12:50AM

Hi,

I'm new to this stuff.. and I'm wondering.. are amino acids in plant foods destroyed by heat as well as all the other nutrients/enzymes that degrade over 105F?? I'm just wondering because, I read that the essential amino acids are the precursors to neurotransmitters.. and that they don't exist in most animal protein food sources anymore since most animals aren't allowed to graze on grasses... so... could this be the reason Fox News I mean crazy people exist?? With most of the juices being pasturized and hamburgers being so popular and all... I mean, I'm crazy too.. but I'm juicing now so I should be safe.. ... ..

Thanks,
Kristina

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amino Acids and cooked foods
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 15, 2007 03:40AM

No, they still exist. Meat eaters who cook their food would be kaput without them.
Some proteins might be damaged on cooking in a way that renders their component aminos not so usable but most people eat so much more protein than what they need that they still get plenty.

It might be that some proteins are more usable when they are raw and therefore we'd need less (compared to cooked). I am not really sure but I think this might be true.

It is not known how much damage cooked proteins do to people who eat them, it seems to be a lot in diabetics who have reduced kidney function and less ability to clear them from their bodies, but maybe not so much in normals, although it remains to be explored in a meaningful way for normals.

The grass-fed thing has more to do with the essential fatty acids (omega3 and omega6). Grains and animals that eat grains don't have the right balance of them (too much omega6, not enough omega3) and this is thought by some researchers to lead to a number of problems, possibly including mental ones, in the people who eat them.

These essential fats are delicate and can also be damaged with prolonged exposure to (high) heat.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 16, 2007 02:45AM

ok thanks! i'm surprised that all the antioxidants in fruit would be so heat sensitive... and that the amino acid proteins wouldn't be... ! thanks again!

Posted by: adfinder ()
Date: March 16, 2007 02:51AM

I hope this isn't considered posting blasphemy...

[www.beyondveg.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 16, 2007 03:42AM

> I hope this isn't considered posting blasphemy...

I for one do not think so! It's a good site to serve as a caution.

Just one minor quibble: I wish he would also include something positive now and then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables