Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: High-fruit low-fat research trial!!!
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 09, 2007 01:10AM

feeling some heartburn and gas either from the tangerine/persimon combo or the sweet fruit/fat combo. ah well, avo was deffinetly at the peak of ripeness about to turn and tasted AMAZING. I've been scrunching my meals into a 4-6 hour period of the day, for no reason other than it works for me and gives a longer fasting period. I might try to ditch the metabolism idea and do smaller mono meals throughought the day. a small apple meal or cucumber meal perhaps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: April 09, 2007 01:11AM

Inspiring attitude, Gosia! grinning smiley Thanks for sharing!

harmonyraw.blogspot.com

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 09, 2007 02:18AM

Cool Anaken good luck, we all are obsessed with food huh

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: April 09, 2007 02:28PM

Food:
Breakfast: 1/2 watermelon
Lunch: Salad - romaine, purple cabbage, grape tomatoes, pineapple, a bit of zucchini, a few mushrooms and about 1 ear of raw corn (yeah, I know.).
Dinner: 1/2 watermelon. (Was very ready for my sweet fruit by the time dinner arrived, although I made sure to wait a good 5-6 hours from my salad lunch so as not to get a tummy ache from combining the melons with the starchy foods I had in my salad...)

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: April 09, 2007 02:31PM

Thank you for sharing your post, Gosia! So helpful. I agree, inspiring attitude.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: April 09, 2007 11:35PM

obsessed? we're on trial!

11:30: green juice from a healthfood store : spinach, kale, cucmber,celery (organic)
1:00 : 8 lbs watermellon (commercial)
3:15 : 6 haitian mangos (organic) (hell yes!)
5:45 : 1 1/2 lb italian red seeded Muscatel grapes (commercial)
6:30 : 2 soggy cucumbers that I ended hardly touching, 6 large celery ribs, 1/2 really tasty butter type lettuce, 1 pkg sundried figs (all organic)

I chose the dried fruit over the option of persimons. I've had bad luck combining with cucumbers AFTER a fruit meal and wasn't about to try it after eating really lousy ones. I think also my body is looking for something really dense hense the dried fruit grab, I don't think I've touched many nuts/seeds since we started this thing. I might seek out a 2 oz nut pate or something from a raw-takeout to avoid stocking up on nuts.

BTW organic mangos are dipped no doubt, the haitian ones are still super fiberous and yum. the ataulfo's are starting to taste like soap to me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2007 11:40PM by anaken.

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: April 10, 2007 12:26AM

*11:00: 4 Mangos, I don't know if they where haitian, but they were goodsmiling smiley

*1:30: 1&1/2lbs of Strawberies, Fresh! grown at local Market

*3:30: 3 Fuji Apples

*8:00: Once again, 1 Large and 2 Med Fresh Red Grapefruit

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2007 01:03AM

Woke up late and didn't have time to prepare anything for the day so I decided a water fast might be in order. That lasted until lunchtime when I decided to go the grocery store. I bought some conventional bananas and pre-packaged dates and figs, which held me until dinner time.

Dinner:

2 mangos, Haden variety
3 tomatoes and 1 green bell pepper blended
2 bananas
1/3 C dates

Anaken: I bought some organic Tommy Atkins mangos over the weekend that haven't fully ripened, yet. They're huge!

I also bought a mango pitter from Williams-Sonoma. It works well on medium and smaller varieties:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 01:04AM by Josh76.

Date: April 10, 2007 01:19AM

huh. i've never really thought such a thing might exist. i usally make a complete scene getting mango all over my face. i'm not sure what a Tommy Atkins is. I know there are like a billion varieties of mangos. It bothersome that we can't get truly fresh ones (imported) but I wasn't insinuating that they are no good. i'm just becomming more sensitive to them having no aroma.

Date: April 10, 2007 01:45AM

Food:
Breakfast: None
Lunch: 3/4ths watermelon
Dinner: 4? 5? (lost count) ataulfo mangos and a veggie bowl with lots of diced celery, red and yellow bell pepper, a few cherry tomatoes (not really craving tomatoes lately, mostly craving sweet fruit), a very small zucchini spiralized into noodles, 4 mushrooms and a pinch of alfafa sprouts. Light on the last 3 items. Don't know WHY I wanted them...I don't feel great eating them.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: uma ()
Date: April 10, 2007 04:10AM

Anaken, I agree about the mangos. It is just such weirdness that they don't have any aroma. I used to love the ataulfos but nowadays i could take or leave them (maybe cuz i just had fresh ones in costa rica!) i agree the haitian ones are still yum sounding and i look forward to when those come around.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 10, 2007 11:14PM

Day 26 (9 April):
raspberry-blueberry-banana smoothie, black Muscatel grapes, persimmons, spinach, watermelon.

Fat intake: no overt fats.

Day 27 (10 April):
watermelon, blueberry-banana smoothie, spinach, 4 mouthfulls of sushi my kids were having, persimmons, watermelon.

Fat intake: overt fats - 1 small slice of avocado and 1 teaspoon of tahini in the sushi.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 10, 2007 11:47PM

11,12:00: 7 med bananas, 3 large bananas; 3 large bananas 3 celery ribs (organic)
3:30: 2 yellow apples (organic)
6:00: started with 13 organic mineolas, hardly any were juicy, so I grabbed a few comercial navels that had been sitting around for like 1 week unrefidgerated, both were equally bad. so maybe in total...like 8 oranges
7:00: 1/3 romaine, a few handfuls of buttery lettuce, 4 oz macadamia/vegetable pate from a raw-takeout. (organic)

so hopefully I fulfilled my nut craving/requirement

I opted for the 4 oz because its cut with veggies, so im guessing it was 3 oz or so of nuts. good thing too because I have a feeling if I had only grabbed 2 I would be running out the door for some kind of something crunchy. we'll see how this guy sits. I also have a feeling If I had bought a bunch of macs from the store they would be toast by now as well. so picking up a small tub of something was helpfull

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 11:48PM by anaken.

Date: April 11, 2007 12:17AM

Questions:

1. Has anybody had a negative experience with pineapple and its extremely high acid content? I attempted to eat an entire small pineapple on Sunday (5 cups worth) but had to stop 3/4 of the way through because the acid had literally burned my taste buds.

I suspect that if I eat it again it will be in the form of a smoothie.

2. Is gas primarily a factor of improper food combining/type of food eaten, or the result of detoxification which will lessen over time?

Thanks-

Date: April 11, 2007 12:45AM

ans

1, you want to make sure the pine is sweet. I had the same experience recently. also the fibers when not ripe can rip up your mouth and taste buds a bit also (or more than a bit!). theres a few methods to tell whether its sweet or not, I think one way is to smell th bottom, yet i havn't perfected it myself so try googling it. and check on vegsource/raw/, and experiment. I wouldn't say blending is the antedote.

2. the bad combo is a given, but I'd say both maybe if you are slammin the fruit down like you never have before. one thing I think to keep in mind is that poor combinations digest/assimilate poorly whether they actually cause discomfort or not. think about how most of the population eats. the only thing that gets the average SAD hardcore with the tums is tomato sauce/starch or frenchy fruit desserts. the cleaner you are the more senative you will be...no?

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: April 11, 2007 12:54AM

10:30: 2 Small Cantolopes

2:00: 1 Fuji Apple and 2 Royal Galas( The Last of the Fuji's, I personally think they taste far better then the Galas).

5:00: 1/2 Papaya in blender with Suppliments( Thought I would change it up a lil bit, but Banana goes much better with the Supliments)

8:00: 5 Red Grapefruit ... I was Hungry!

>>Josh76
I also have expierienced that same thing with the Pineapple. I find it hit or miss ... Sometimes I find perfectly ripe ones that tatse absolutley incredible and sometimes I get ones that are loaded with Sulpheric Acid!winking smiley

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Date: April 11, 2007 01:40AM

Yeah, my experiences with pineapple are really hit and miss. I like it a lot but I only get it occasionally now if I see some pre-cut stuff in the store that looks REALLY golden (instead of light yellow).

Once it hurt me SO bad, but I continued eating it because I'd blended it into a dressing recipe with expensive tomatoes and couldn't see wasting the whole thing. My mouth hurt like CRAZY for 3 days.

My daughter's mouth has started bleeding before from eating not-ripe-enough pineapple. sad smiley It was really sad and I felt so bad.

Tonight, I'm eating the BEST pineapple ever. It is so sweet it's almost too ripe, but not quite overripe. YUM! 1 whole lb of it.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2007 01:52AM by Sparkler.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 11, 2007 01:56AM

Psssst...the pineapple should smell really strong and sweet when you buy it. A really ripe, sweet pineapple has a wonderful aroma that you can smell anywhere on the fruit.

Another way to tell if its good and ripe is to pick the pineapple up by one leaf stalk. If the leaf pulls away from the pineapple very easily then the pineapple is ripe.

I bought a pineapple about five days ago that smelled promising. I ate it today and it was absolutely delicious. Sometimes you just have to let them sit on the counter until they beg to be eaten.

bon appetit

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: April 11, 2007 02:33PM

Here's what Shelton has to say about pineapples (this is from the Life Science Health System, thanks to Bob Farrell who originally posted it on another raw e-mail list):

Pineapples:

Peak season for this fruit is March through June.

Good pineapples may also be available at other times during the year. Unless pineapples are mature when picked, they will not ripen properly.

They may become soft, but never sweet. They may simply rot.

Selection:

Select pineapples that have begun to display some gold, orange-yellow or reddish-brown coloring. Some varieties are ripe when still green, but the best and most flavorful pineapples display the change in color from the base up, as they ripen. If the yellow color has spread to 15 or 20% of the fruit, then it's ripe.

A ripe pineapple should have a fragrant (but not fermented) odor and a slight separation of the eyes when ready to be eaten. The spikes should pull out easily and the fruit should be plump and heavy for its size. Soft spots or an unpleasant hint of fermentation in the odor are signs of overripe fruit. Pineapples with pointed or sunken eyes, dull yellow-green color and a dried-out appearance are immature. Fruit allowed to ripen completely before picking is a flavor treat most people in temperate climates never experience.

A considerable amount of pineapples used to be produced in Florida, as much as half a million crates, but this Florida commercial pineapple has disappeared. Most of the fresh fruit now comes from Puerto Rico, Honduras and—especially—from Hawaii.

I have found Dole pineapples, air-expressed from Hawaii, to have the best flavor. They are the most expensive, but are almost always deliciously sweet and juicy. The Dole Company maintains that all their pineapples are plant ripened and that the Dole pineapple is ripe and ready to eat—regardless of shell color. I still try to pick one which is turning orange-yellow—I believe they taste best; and I always pick one that has the characteristic pleasant fragrance.

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: April 11, 2007 08:01PM

Im mono eating bananas one day then apples the next with a green salad in the evening with tomatoes and a blended tomato and lemon juice based dressing.

I have been keeping an avocados in the fridge but just havnt felt like eating them.

I tried to mono eat oranges two days ago.
Started at 8am. I ate six medium oranges.
Three at breakfast and three at lunch(1pm)
By 4pm i felt sick, had a headache and wanted to sleep. I had a pretty rough night.

The next morning, I noticed eczema on my left foot.
I woke feeling very dehydrated.
I have returned to eating bananas and apples.
I feel fine.

Date: April 11, 2007 11:14PM

Thanks everybody for the pineapple advice/stories. I sure have a lot to learn about fruit!

Posted by: zenpawn ()
Date: April 11, 2007 11:24PM

I see I'm joining this thread rather late; many of you are near completion of your trial. I wonder if any of you took before and after blood workups?

-Erin
Raw Done Light
dogma-free RAW
Gazpacho For The Soul

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 12, 2007 01:15AM

hey Josh I have the mango pitter too!

Date: April 12, 2007 01:47AM

this one is rich. I started a whole new schedule today, got up at 6:00 ug, to a clock radio blasting classical.

packed my 'lunch' haha, threw it on my back and hopped on my bike to still throughly not enjoy the below freezing weather we have in nyc.

I arrived in the thick of the city 30 mins before worktime, was cold as all hell, so i decided to duck in somewhere. not too much friendly shelter for a non-consumer in these here parts. I settled on PAX healthful foods, which is basically a giant glass casing filled with pasta and pastries that they can microwave for you or something. I don't think anything there doesn't have some form of a chicken in it, other than some sunkist oranges which were scarily big. despite my habit of refraining till noon or later to eat, I decided to eat the oranges and stay out of the cold.

7:30: 3 sunkist oranges
10:30: was begining to feel very hungry, either from all the physical work or just from being up so much longer than usual. snuck half my lunch, 6 bananas, and unfortunately had to jump right into physical activity.
2:30: by the time my offical lunch got under way there was no way 6 more bananas was going to cut it for me physically or emotionally. I found a slightly more upscale market and found 4 huge haitians ready to be devoured in front of everyone, followed by the bananas and some celery I had brought that I had to eat running down the street.
6:00: green juice healthfood store
7:30: 10 honey tangerines
8:30 5 persimons
9:00: salad with romaine, buttery lettuce, bitter lettuce, 2 tomatoes

another failure, the last time I tried persimons after tangerines I had also included an avo, this time proved it doesn't work (for me). I felt heartburn almost instantly after the last persimon went down, never had that kind of response. throwing tomato on top probably wasn't the best idea either. its not an uncomfortable disruption, but I'm sure I won't try this again.

i'm also going to try doing my salads in the afternoon, hopeing it will not make get up to go pee at 3 am and then go "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhck! i have to wake up soon."

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 12, 2007 02:13AM

I wonder how everyone is doing. Yesterday I had a very difficult day. A day in which one could easily end up eating anything cooked. I felt very weak. I survived by beasin more gentle towards myself.

Also, I wonder about your observations about any detox or improvements. Myself - my skin is still not completely clear, I am still detoxing, I still have wobbly bits on my body, I am not quite there yet. I've had days feeling really bad about myself.

I want to continue this beyond the 30-day trial, until I can record some definite changes (though, I am not sure about the particulars yet, is this thread getting too long perhaps?? Recording foods on daily basis is so time consuming!). I took some photos a little late in the trial, not long ago (I got my first digital camera recently). As far as the movie bits that I recorded earlier, I haven't been able to transfer them yet. Anyway, as I do not see too dramatic changes yet, there is not much to report yet. Luke says that I do look healthier, but I know that I have a fair bit to go yet.

Yesterday record:

Day 28 (11 April):
I am hungry!!!

watermelon, red globe grapes, gourmet dinner - tomato soup (blended tomatoes ha ha) and sushi (with sprouts, lettuce, capsicum, avocado), dates, persimmons.

Fat intake: overt fats - 1/2 small avocado.

Today was a hard emotionally day. I felt very week. I treated myself to some gourmet (by my standards) meal. I enjoyed it. Nevertheless, as it always happens, nonsweet vegies did not fulfill me quite. Persimmons did.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 12, 2007 04:06AM

Hi Gosia,

Sorry you had a rough couple of days! I hope it gets better really soon.

I relate a little - nothing much happened to me emotionally even, but I found myself craving uncooked starches out of the blue - things I've never enjoyed before. I indulged in some raw corn, raw zucchini and mushrooms, and it made me feel totally crappy. I'm bloated and don't feel so good in the tummy. What I should have done instead was eat more sweet fruit!

So starting tomorrow I am pledging to only eat fruit and lettuce/celery for a few days, get this nasty stuff out of my system. I have lots of watermelon and ripe bananas sitting around, so I'm contemplating just eating those two things for a few days.

I'm writing this down here so I'll be held accountable and not turn to the starchy stuff again. It actually made me feel worse than when I last over indulged in overt fats.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: April 12, 2007 11:52AM

You girls are great! I am loving this thread.

Yeah, we live and learn. It took me a while to figure this out, but now if I am ever wanting something not sweet, I get some tomatoes and a lemon and have tomatoes with lemon juice. They have to be really good quality tomatoes, but that does the trick for me.

I still have some suspicions about tomatoes not being the best thing to eat, but they do serve a good purpose because they keep me from eating other things and they are easy to digest, at least. Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often now.

Yesterday I ate:

1:00 pm 6 honey tangerines
3:00 pm 8 valencia oranges
8:00 pm 1 watermelon

smiling smiley

Love,
Julie

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: April 12, 2007 04:08PM

hi!!!
Eveything is going so fast!
I was not able to post anything lately (too much work) and I did not write anything down. I was raw all the way except for Easter lunch at my mother's place: a little of bread and butter, few potatoes and beens...
Nevertheless feeling good about sharing with them all.

I am very proud of myself.
I now buy fruits by the cases: sharon, fruits, mangoes, logan, papaya, ...
A plentiful stock of fruits in the house is the best to help my sweet needs.

salt cravings are the challenge for me ; I MISS "real" savory food like bread, pasta...
If someone has some goods advices to overcome it, I would be glad to hear it.

Now I quit this virtual world to go in my kitchen - mangoes and logans are calling my name smiling smiley

Date: April 12, 2007 10:40PM

9:00 : bottled Nor-Walk green juice from health food store:. celery, parsely, kale, cucumber, spinach
11:00: 2 pink ladies
1:30 : 14 med bananas
5:00 : 2.5 lbs murcotts (maybe like 16), 4 honey tangerines
6:00 ; micro head of butter lettuce, handfuls of romaine, watercress (never again)

used to love watercress, tastes so bitter now.

Date: April 13, 2007 03:07AM

Yay! No corn today. Score 1.

I ate a big watermelon (it took me over 60 mins for sure) around lunch, and that's all I had until 7pm, at which I ate a salad out with my family.

Feeling better today, am surprised at how the corn really affected me badly, both mentally and physically. I do realize more and more that I used to feel like this very frequently, I just didn't realize it wasn't normal!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables