Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

80/10/10 Protein Question
Posted by: ColoradoGal ()
Date: March 17, 2007 01:30AM

I am on the 80/10/10 and trying to lose weight. I am eating 1000 calories/day and exercising as well. However, Dr. Doug's suggestion to eat 80/10/10 assumes 2000 calories/day and therefore 50 gms protein/day. On 1000 calories 10% is only 25 gms of protein/day and that doesn't seem like enough to me (based on .3-.5 gms/lb of ideal weight). I've been adding light soy milk because it fits the formula to allow 30-44 gms/day while keeping the fats down to 10%. I was going over on the fat target of 10% with nuts and seeds. I am focusing on fruits and veggies and just having 1-1.5 cups/soy milk per day.

I would like to get off of the soy if anyone has any suggestions please share.

Gina

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80/10/10 Protein Question
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 17, 2007 01:38AM

I have to agree with him on this, I would urge you to go up to 2000 kcal/day or even higher--3000-3500 kcal/day on this diet is more sensible.

You'll be missing out on too much with only 1000 kcal of mostly fruit.

This means more exercise, a lot more! But that is what he says to do. Doing just the food and not the exercise is not going to give you the full benefit.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 17, 2007 01:55AM

Same here. I'm not comfortable with such little protein and there's no way I could afford or do 2,000 calories worth of fruit considering my options are limited this time of year to mostly apples and bannanas. So "supplementing" is the only way I could possibly make it.

I sometimes use these:
[nutiva.com]
You can find "sample packs" for like $1 at health food stores. I think even WholeFoods has the sample packets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2007 02:00AM by LikeItOrNot.

Date: March 17, 2007 02:27AM

You actually could do a high protein 80-10-10, but your emphasis would have to be on the nonsweet fruits. This will give you 65 g of protein with only 1440 kcal.

2 lb zucchini
2 lb cucumber
4 lb tomato
2 heads romaine
1 lb bananas
1 lb oranges
1 brazil nut

This would be easy with a juicer, but it would be even more expensive than almost all sweet fruit, my estimate is about $12/day for this unless you did a deal with your grocer to get stuff in bulk.

It will satisfy all your vitamin and mineral needs but for B12 and D. It's still short in omega6 fat, but that is almost always the case for 80-10-10 unless kcals are very very high. It's almost impossible to get 6 g of omega6 on 80-10-10, which is really minimal (RDA is 12 g/day and 6 g is only half of that, but I think 6 g might be enough for a small female) unless kcals are about double this (1437*2=2874).

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 17, 2007 02:39AM

Gina,

If you are getting 25 grams of raw protein a day, raw protein from fresh fruits and fresh vegetables, and you are not losing weight and you are meeting your caloric needs, you are not in any danger of protein deficiency. The reason the the recommendation for protein is as high as it is in the RDA is because most people eat cooked proteins, and as protein becomes denatured, its amino acids become corrupted and are not usuable by the body. The body is very efficient at reusing and recycling its amino acids. As cells die, their proteins are disassembled and the amino acids are reused by the body. The only proteins that cannot be reused are those that are lost by shedding skin, hair, nails, etc. The lost protein is something like 8 grams a day.

Here are some useful explanations of protein and raw: The denaturing of proteins and the Protein paranoia.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 18, 2007 02:00AM

2 lb zucchini
2 lb cucumber
4 lb tomato
2 heads romaine
1 lb bananas
1 lb oranges
1 brazil nut

Gu Aragula,
Just thinking about what I'd have to pay for that amount of produce per day where I llive -- probably $25 and up -- makes me a little dizzy. ;-p

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: March 18, 2007 02:31AM

yeah, no kidding, I was shocked by what people were citing for their grocery prices.

to me it seems, if you arn't ordering by the case and live in the north where organic fruit from a farmers market is somewhat of an oxymoron (although good for greens)

fruit costs about a buck.

Mangos cost more than a buck, tomatoes and oranges are a bit less then a buck (1.99 lb). organic cucumbers cost 1 dollar

best bet I've decided is getting your 'thick-skined' commercial fruits at non-descript little markets and especially the amazing "over-ripe" discount banana bins

Date: March 18, 2007 02:32AM

Yeah, the veggies are way too expensive.

I am still trying to figure out the cheapest way to get good nutrition from an all raw grocery store diet.

It would have to be mostly banana, with oranges, carrots, and cabbage.

This would work for 1675 kcal (6P-84C-11F) and it would be pretty nutritious, too:
1 lb cabbage (about $0.40)
1 lb carrots (about $0.70)
2 lb bananas (about $1.00)
2 lb oranges (about $2.00)
15 g sunflower seeds (about $0.04)
15 g flax seeds (about $0.04)
------------
total: $4.18

But most people would not enjoy eating a lb of cabbage per day, I am not sure it would be a good idea from the health standpoint, either. Lettuce is so much nicer, but it's also much more expensive.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 18, 2007 04:14AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, the veggies are way too expensive.
>
> I am still trying to figure out the cheapest way
> to get good nutrition from an all raw grocery
> store diet.
>

How about sprouts?

I like Millet, cheap, high in calories and good for nutrients and sprouts pretty much overnight. It's easy to find, any store that sells bulk grains will have it..Whole Foods here has it for .79 a pound. 1/4 cup has about 200 calories and is 76% carbs.

Date: March 18, 2007 04:28AM

I have mixed feelings about sprouts. As I type I have some sunflower sprouts growing. I usually have a handful every other day, mostly alfalfa.

But I don't think that they can make a significant contribution to daily calories unless you make a milk out of them when they are still very young.

Posted by: Joe Gray ()
Date: March 18, 2007 07:04AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But most people would not enjoy eating a lb of
> cabbage per day,

You could make 'kraut out of it. smiling smiley

Date: March 18, 2007 06:04PM

An alternative to soy milk or fatty nut milks is banana milk. Just take a cup of water and a banana and blend. You can use it were you would normally using the various kinds of milk. Some people will blend in a dash of vanilla.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 15, 2007 09:22PM

hi,
I am less than five feet tall, a 54 year old woman, who is somewhat active, but not an athlete.
I have not got the 80/10/10 book I have heard so much about, and can not imagine eating so much...

what would be a good daily regime for me? I love fruit, but hear that it is bad for me?
I also have finished menapause and want to make certain to be nourished...
have any ideas?

Date: April 16, 2007 01:28AM

Spiralwoman,

Fruit is the ultimate health food. It has high vitamin, mineral, water, fiber, phytonutrient content while having a very low antinutrient content. Do you have some experience with fruit causing you troubles? If so, perhaps we can help you overcome these issues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables