Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nori Rolls
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: March 18, 2007 12:24PM

So I wanna try making some sushi, which I have never had really before, and I hear a lot of stuff about these nori sheets.
Now, from what I hear, seaweed has a lot of minerals in it, but what I want to know is- are unrasted nori sheets actually raw?

Thanks for the insight,
xxpeisi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nori Rolls
Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: March 18, 2007 01:18PM

Hey girl....yeah they are raw you just have to buy the ones that say raw...i buy emerald cove raw organic nori sheets they are sooo good....some of them aren't raw and you have to be careful because they will say untoasted or unroasted but they are still heated....good luck
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxox

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 18, 2007 03:21PM

You can take this for whatever it's worth to you. You can click the link to see for yourself where I found it. Right here on this website.

[www.rawfoods.com]

FISH IN YOUR NORI
by Jeremy Safron (www.lovingfoods.com)

Nori (the sea vegetable) grows as a lettuce in the ocean.

It is harvested often in big nets and with it many fish are scooped up. This combination of seaweed, shrimp, crabs, snails, barnacles, and small fish are all ground up and made into sheets (like paper)

In the large industry they do not take the time to remove these sea animals. Most of the nori in the world comes from Japan.

The two main suppliers Nagata and Yamamoto (who supply most of the smaller companies) claim that the animal contamination is minimal.

Any contamination is unacceptable. Some smaller companies
(including a kosher certified kibbutz in Israel) are beginning to offer fish free nori. So be aware.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: March 18, 2007 03:57PM

Well, I edited this post big time but for some reason it seems to not be taking hold. So I'll redo the whole thing. Sorry if it shows up many times due to my having clicked "Save Changes" many times!!

You can take this for whatever it's worth to you. You can go to the link to see for yourself where I found it. Right here on this website.

Now, I do want to add a thing or two. It's about being vegetarian / vegan. Seems to me there's no such thing as a vegan or even vegetarian IF:

The definition of a veg is one who doesn't eat anything that involves killing of a (possibly) sentient creature. I have a tiny garden outside my apartment. I look for insects and slugs before I pick the leaves but I know that I sometimes eat the little guys. And when I bring the leaves inside, if I were to wash them (which I never do in order to not remove the vitamin B 12) so as to avoid eating the insects, well, then they would die, or at the very least get injured, either going down the drain or in some other way from my "washing" them off the leaves. I have no intention of eating the insects. I get B 12 from them, I am sure, but my understanding is that I'd get it anyway from their feces or whatever they leave behind and / or any soil that gets onto the leaves.

My point is that, it seems to me, eating a vegetarian / vegan diet based on the idea of not killing or harming - even indirectly - is an impossibility or at least takes fastidious dedication.

I live on an island in southern South Korea and eat seaweed often. Not nori but just the same, I've seen dried up, dead little creatures that come with the sea greens. And I've eaten them. Why not? Unless there is some health reason, then I will continue to eat them because I consider them food.

I just wanted to toss this idea into ... the sea?!

[www.rawfoods.com]

FISH IN YOUR NORI
by Jeremy Safron (www.lovingfoods.com)

Nori (the sea vegetable) grows as a lettuce in the ocean.

It is harvested often in big nets and with it many fish are scooped up. This combination of seaweed, shrimp, crabs, snails, barnacles, and small fish are all ground up and made into sheets (like paper)

In the large industry they do not take the time to remove these sea animals. Most of the nori in the world comes from Japan.

The two main suppliers Nagata and Yamamoto (who supply most of the smaller companies) claim that the animal contamination is minimal.

Any contamination is unacceptable. Some smaller companies
(including a kosher certified kibbutz in Israel) are beginning to offer fish free nori. So be aware.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: March 18, 2007 09:12PM

Thank you very much i will remember this and never go for the cheaper brand because it is plentiful.....even though it may claim raw....i think emerald cove is one that is fish free...
thanks again
love sachelle
xoxoxoxox

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: March 19, 2007 07:50AM

hmm maybe I should steer clear of them altogether then... Not guaranteed either raw or vegan, and I've never had it before anyway...

So.. Guess it will be Kale wraps instead of nori rolls. smiling smiley

xxpeisi

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: March 19, 2007 01:55PM

TroySantos, thank you for this. I'm allergic to shrimp and other sea creatures, so this is helpful info for me.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 19, 2007 06:39PM

I say they are not raw, I know the difference. Life force= raw. To me.

But they are excellent in transition..nori rolls are great Here are some with parsnip/ pinenuts ground up as the "rice"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2007 06:43PM by coconutcream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables