Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Treatment by antibiotics
Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: March 19, 2007 01:00PM

So I got a pretty nasty Urinary Tract Infection, and I've looked all over the internet, but the only raw 'treatment' would be a whole lot of cranberry juice, and it's not really certain it'll work.
Have any of you other raw foodists taken antibiotics while being raw? I don't really know how my body will react, and it seems like it'll suck pretty bad. (but not worse than the UTI.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Treatment by antibiotics
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 19, 2007 02:30PM

The most effective "raw treatment" is to water fast until the infection is gone. This means stay at home, in bed, rest and sleep as much as possible, and drink only water until the symptoms have disappeared.

Cranberry juice bought at the store is not raw. It will only be raw if you juice it yourself.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: March 19, 2007 04:17PM

I heard that Noni-juice (or the raw fruit) is great for any "down-town" problems. Including mens problem.

You can get some at rawguru.com thats raw.

Or do as Bryan say, or make a combination. Don't eat anything when drinking the noni, just fast on water and maybie noni. Water IS the cheapest, tho! =)

gl hf

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 19, 2007 06:25PM

Don't do it. I had 12 UTI's the year before I went raw, I was on antibiotics 12 times in one year, almost lost all my teeth, had skin rashes that were worse everytime, all the uti's originally were was was that I was drinking alcohol, partying, taking antidepressants( that was the big reason) and eating ramens and canned hash. But oh what a deep well I was in, I was considering surgery because symptoms got twice as worse in shorter amount of time. I blame the antibiotics for 80% of it though. Just my experience.

It disappeared when I was raw in two weeks. haven't had anything weird down there at all in 5 years. Had checkups, nothing.

If you have an emergency take cranberry extract pills. The antibiotics will make it go away but at what price? How does you body clean up the damage antibiotics make? by more bacteria!!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2007 06:31PM by coconutcream.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 19, 2007 07:34PM

Yes, I had to take tetracyclene once for a tooth abcess while I was raw about 20 years ago, and it was devastating. I didn't feel good; had to really build myself up again after that. I'd never take antibiotics now if I could help it.

I will say, though, that my reaction was probably worse than yours will be, because all through my childhood I was given antibiotics over and over again, and by the time I was an adult I was a walking yeast factory.

I'm fine now-- no candida!-- but it took slow and steady perseverence to get my body in balance.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: March 20, 2007 02:05AM

I don't know what people here think of probiotics, but a combination of those and cranberry helped me kick a UTI when I didn't want to take antibiotics.

KelBel

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 20, 2007 02:48AM

Your body levels of antibiotics drop dramatically after you stop taking them, but very low levels, which are still quite toxic to some microbes, will still be present for up to four months.

I think the best you can do is to keep your fiber levels very high so that you develop a very healthy and prodigious colony of the beneficial ones. I am not so inclined to lean on a particular superfood (cranberry in this case, especially since it is so hard to get fresh ones when they are not in season), I would just say eat several kg of a wide variety of fresh f+v daily and you should be fine in no time.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: March 20, 2007 03:50AM

I have 2 things to say about antibiotics - 1 fact & 1 personal anecdote.

1. Fact: A couple of Duke University researchers proved, via 2 scientific studies, that antibiotics cause allergies & asthma - and they showed how the process works (sorry I can't provide links, I'm typing on my phone). So def if you go the antibiotic route, make sure you supplement with probiotics, and keep your diet very healthy during the course of antibiotics, in order to prevent allergies from developing.

2. I know you're asking about a UTI, but I thought I'd throw in here that I once treated a kidney infection with an herb called Uva Ursi - I found it in Whole Foods' reference book on natural remedies. I've always been very antibiotic-averse thanks to my very health-conscious mom, who only gave in & took us to the doctor when all natural remedies failed her- So I took antibiotics like twice, maybe 3 times growing up- and that experience has permanently impressed upon me a lifelong quest to avoid prescription medication unless absolutely necessary. My mom didn't go the herbal remedy route, though- her way was to let things resolve on their own - rest, fluids, and lots of lemons. This def worked for most things. Anyway rest & fluids weren't working for my kidney infection of a few years ago (probably no doubt due to the summer party schedule I had been on, hence the weakening of my immune system), so my doctor called in a prescription for antibiotics, though I was determined to give antibiotic-avoidance one last shot, hence the Uva Ursi, which remedy I chose from the reference book due to its supposed kidney antimicrobial properties. I didn't have much hope that it would work but tried anyway- well let me tell you, I took one dose, shortly fell into a lovely deep sleep, and awoke 2 hours later and felt like a million bucks - and NO trace of kidney infection. I was AMAZED.

Now I must admit though that the couple times in my adult life when I RAN for, could not wait to get my hands on, antibiotics was those couple times when I had a UTI. Those SUCK. (this was before my discovery that some herbs can be antimicrobial- though even given this information I'm not sure I wouldn't still just grab the antibiotics, given a UTI. Those really suck. For me it was due to using nonoxynol-9, which is basically a harsh spermicidal detergent. When I stopped using that, the UTI's stopped, too.)

(and maybe zeolite NCD could work, too - I say that for everything, as I'm such a huge believer in it)

Good luck to you and feel better soon!!

xo
Sunshine

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 20, 2007 09:54PM

I had a UTI and took colloidal silver and it worked like a charm. I bought a little machine and make it myself.

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: March 20, 2007 10:33PM

Nothing but water on day 1
day 2 I drank two 16oz bottles of raw cranberry kombucha (GT Dave)

I'm feeling a lot better, so it might not have been as bad as I thought.
But I think I'm going to drink more cranberry kombucha today.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 21, 2007 02:48AM

Oh Suvine I can so relate to you, where your health was before you went raw! I had chronic urinary tract infections my whole life since babydom up until a few years ago. They are so miserable. Did the whole antibiotic/cranberry juice thing. They always came back though. And of course the antibiotics gave me a new yeast infection each time, so it was back and forth between the two for years.

I finally got the message that medicine (even "natural"winking smiley wasn't solving the problem and started really changing my diet. One of the last treatments I got for it was acupuncture, which really eased the symptoms while I gave my body time to heal itself without medicine. But then finally I was able to feel the symptoms without fixing them, giving them room to be there since they were doing their job. Since then each one would get milder, and as I cleaned up my diet more and more so my body wasn't as much of a breeding ground for infections, they naturally disappeared on their own. It is a journey, not a quick fix, but so worth it.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 21, 2007 06:39AM

That is good. I am happy for you and wish the best for others. Not a great subject , huh, But yes, i remember. Oh I could never go thru those things again.

Have you tried drinking your body weight in water a day?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables