Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oats
Posted by: mameyluver ()
Date: March 21, 2007 06:10PM

I just started incorporating oats (soaked) into my raw diet. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with oats?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oats
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: March 21, 2007 11:12PM

i love oats-but i think they have to be soaked...and put into the food dryer to make it warm if u are having it for breakfast.i use to like to put it in vegan patties.but i don't now mostly cause i love comfort foods like oatmeal patties with cashew gravy on them...i would eat the whole pan full.so i avoid the oat thing.others may have more experience.good luck-taylor

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Date: March 22, 2007 01:08AM

Hi Taylor,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I soak them for about an hour in almond milk and add fruit - it's like eating cereal.

But I wonder ... oats aren't really addressed on this board, so I was wondering if it was for any reason specific. Are they avoided for any reason health-wise?

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: March 22, 2007 01:14AM

I hear alot about Oat Groats in the Raw community and not about plain Oats. Can anybody please explain the difference?

Posted by: khale ()
Date: March 22, 2007 01:58AM

According to the guy who wrote, "Back to Eden", the only difference is in the cut. In other words, groats are oats before they are cut or rolled.

Sorry that I can't remember the authors name, but he had a very high opinion of oats as have other nutritionists and foodies. The main complaint I've heard against them is that they cause mucus (did I spell that right?) in the body.

I love them soaked. Actually, I purchased groats for the first time yesterday. Before that I just soaked Old Fashioned rolled (untoasted). I eat this only occasionally though, as like Taylor I tend to overeat them and/or feel too heavy after.

khale

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: March 22, 2007 02:10AM

well some might say "grains are not an ideal food for humans" but thats totally subjective depending on where you are at.

it might do you good to steer away from likening it to cereal in the morning, it will be slow to digest and everything following will sit on top. for food combining principles the best way probably to eat them actually would be in the evening after a salad and not with fruit or protein (almonds) which would be sort of a bummer I suppose

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 22, 2007 03:23AM

I think all the rolled/cut oats in the store have been steamed already. Maybe that's why rawies eat oat groats. I haven't eaten many oats raw, but OMG Taylor, oatmeal patties with cashew gravy, that sounds so yum!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: March 22, 2007 10:19AM

jethro kloss is the guy who wrote back to eden.i have had my copy for some 30 plus yrs.it is a great book.

[img10.mytextgraphics.com]

Posted by: khale ()
Date: March 22, 2007 01:04PM

Thanks Taylor, I have a very ragged copy too but I was too lazy to get off my butt and go to the bookshelf to reclaim his name in my memory bank, which seems to be undergoing a bit of erosion here lately. He did write a fine book.

Yeah Anaken, that is the problem with oats. When to eat them and with what?

Foods like this are usually reserved for the weekend when I can extend my fast much later in the day than usual. Food combining principles are just that: principles. They are good for rule of thumb. But an occasional bowl of "muesli" ain't gonna kill ya.

It didn't slow Gandhi down any.

khale

Date: March 23, 2007 12:15AM

Thanks everyone, for your responses!

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: March 23, 2007 03:54AM

I came across a local Oat company, do these sound good?
--

Whole Oat Groats Whole oat groats are typically processed further into oat flakes. Prior to flaking moisture is added to the oats in order to increase their elasticity. Once the oats are flaked they are dried and then can be packaged as quick or minute oats.

Steelcut Oat Groats Steelcut oats are oat groats that have been cut into smaller pieces. Steelcut oats can be used to make quick oats or can be further processed into flour.

--

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables